[comp.lsi] Summary - Parallel implementations of VLSI CAD Tools

moraes@csri.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (10/21/88)

In <3239@hubcap.UUCP> I asked:
> I'm looking for references/pointers to VLSI CAD tools running on
> parallel systems. I'm interested in any information on such tools.
> Please reply by mail - if there's interest on the subject, I'll
> summarize to the net.

The following are the replies I've received to date, (excluding
"me-toos" - yes there is interest in the subject), edited somewhat to
remove mailer headers, and information that people have specifically
asked me to omit.

Thanks everybody.
	Mark.

Subject: [Vinod Narayanan: Your posting about VLSI CAD tools running on Parallel architectures]
Date: 	Fri, 14 Oct 88 16:04:14 EDT
From: Vinod Narayanan <narayana@rodan.acs.syr.edu>

Mark:

There has been a fair amount of activity in this area over the last year
or so.  However,  to the best of my knowledge,  there are no "systems"
(like Berkeley CAD tools or OCT tools) which are available.  This is still
very much a research area.  Prof.  Sangiovanni Vincentalli (sp?) and some
of his colleagues at Berkeley have been working on problems like placement,
device modelling and  circuit simulation(at the "SPICE" level) on the
Connection Machine.

Here at Syracuse,  we have been working on fault simulation and related
problems on the Connection Machine.  I believe that Mentor Graphics
in Oregon has been working on logic simulation on hypercube machines.

These are all still research projects,  and I would not call any of this
work "tools" yet.  Most of the work I mentioned here has been reported
either at the International Test COnference or at the ICCAD in the last
two years (87 and 88).  If you want specific references,  let me know, and
I will dig them up for you.

Hope this helps.

- --vinod
Vinod Narayanan	(Unni)		INTERNET:narayana@rodan.acs.syr.edu
ECE Dept.,111 Link		BITNET  :narayana@suvm||vnarayan@sunrise
Syracuse University             UUCP 	:{backbone}!cmx!rodan!narayana
Ph:(315)-443-4410         Enquiring minds want to know  :-)

Date: 	Fri, 14 Oct 88 11:25:27 EDT
From: "Jack V. Briner" <jvb@duke.cs.duke.edu>
Subject: VLSI CAD tools

We are working on a version of RSIM on BBN's Butterfly.  The results so far
are weak, but we are beginning a second pass that we hope will improve
things.

Jack
jvb@cs.duke.edu'

Date: 	Fri, 14 Oct 88 12:31:51 EDT
From: Gary L Dare <gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: ITA on Connection Machine

Donald Webber has a paper in ICCD 87 about an ITA-based
simulator on the Connection Machine.

Gary L. Dare				> dare@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU
"Too old to rock'n'roll,		> gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.EDU
 too young to die!" -- Jethro Tull	> gld@cunixc.BITNET

Date: 	Sat, 15 Oct 88 13:43:15 EDT
From: mark@obiwan.mips.com (Mark G. Johnson)
Subject: Parallel VLSI CAD

Jeffery M. Arnold, "Parallel Simulation of Digital LSI Circuits",
MIT Lab for Computer Science book number MIT/LCS/TR-333, Feb 1985.

Date: 	Sat, 15 Oct 88 16:42:13 EDT
From: alliant.alliant.com!ayers@rutgers.uucp (Susan C. Ayers)
Subject: RE: Parallel VLSI Cad Tools

Mark.....I read your broadcast into comp.parallel. I am the manager of
VLSI market Development for Alliant Computer.... There has been some
good work done in parallel VLSI CAD tool development. The following
are just a few places I will mention:

Alliant Computer has developed a parallel version of Berekley 2G6 SPICE2.
This is available to Alliant users at no charge by sending me EMAIL
at  linus!alliant!ayers

We also will inform users how to optimize PISCES, SUPREM, MINIMOS, BAMBI
but we will not distribute our versions.

	Susan Ayers  (508) 486-1454
	linus!alliant!ayers

Date:	Sat, 15 Oct 88 20:32:47 EDT
From:	Barry Shein <harvard!talcott!encore!xenna!bzs>
To:	moraes%csri.toronto.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Re: Parallel implementations of VLSI CAD Tools

You might get in touch with the Massachussetts Microcomputer
Consortium in Westboro, MA (maybe it's Marlboro, MA, 508- area code
anyhow.) They're basically a consortium for doing VLSI stuff among
Massachussetts schools.

I know Al Thompson of Boston University (Engineering) ported a lot of
their VLSI tools to the Encore parallel processor.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

Date: 	Mon, 17 Oct 88 08:21:26 EDT
From: Jim Cohoon <cohoon@uvacs.cs.virginia.edu>

There are several good papers in the recent DAC and ICCAD conferences.
I suggest you go there first.  At the 1987 Parallel Computing conference
there were several papers on parallel routing.  Another good source
is the Hypercube conference.

I personally have been a participant in developing a parallel algorithm
for floorplanning (ICCAD-88).  A good person to contact is Banerjee
at University of Illinois.  I believe he is giving a tutorial on parallel
cad at the ICCAD-88 conference this November.

Jim Cohoon
cohoon@virginia.edu

Date:          20-OCT-1988 19:26:06 GMT 1:00
From: WHITAKER@cad.cs.man.ac.uk

Hello, I saw your recent news posting; here's a list of references I've
put together relating to the area on which I am working (parallel logic
simulation). I didn't know whether you were interested in general purpose or
special purpose implementations, or whether you were interested in products or
research.  I have tried to catagorise them slightly. This is by no means a
complete list of references on the field of parallel simulation, its a list of
things I was interested in and have read.  I appologise in advance for
mis-spellings and getting any of the references wrong in any way. If you
discover any errors please would you mail me so that I can correct mine. Please
fell free to pass on as many or as few of them to the net as you wish; I hope
they are of some use to you and that the bibtex format is OK.

		Nigel Whitaker

   @string{DS85 = "Distributed Simulation 1985"}
   @string{DS85address = "San Diego, California"}
   @string{IWHA = "International Workshop on Hardware Accelerators"}
   @string{IWHAaddress = "University of Oxford"}
   @string{PARLE = "Proc. of Parallel Architectures and Languages Europe"}
   @string{PARLEaddress = "Eindhoven, The Netherlands"}

Pointers to further reading....

@article{kaudel:ddesliterature,
	author="Fred J. Kaudel",
	title="A Literature Survey on Distributed Discrete Event Simulation",
	journal="{ACM} Simuletter",
	pages="pages 11--21",
	year=1987,
	month="June",
	volume=18,
	number=2
	}

@article{blank:accelerators,
		author="Tom Blank",
		title="A Survey of Hardware Accelerators used in Computer Aided Design",
		journal="IEEE Design \& Test of Computers",
		volume=1,
		number=3,
		month="August",
		year=1984
		}

@article{bloom:need,
		author="Micheal Bloom",
		title="More needed in Accelerators for Multilevel Simulation",
		journal="Computer Design",
		month="April",
		year=1987
		}

@proceedings{reynolds:ds85,
	editor="Paul Reynolds",
	title="Distributed Simulation 1985",
	year=1985,
	month="January",
	organization="The Society for Computer Simulation"
	}

Parallel simulators on general purpose machines...

@inproceedings{jeffersonb:ds85,
	author="David Jefferson and Brian Beckman and Steve Hughes and Eric Levy
			and Todd Litwin and John Spagnuolo and Jon Vavrus and Fred Wieland
			and Barbara Zimmerman",
	title="Implementaion of time warp on the Caltech hypercube",
	booktitle=DS85,
	year=1985,
	month="January",
	address=DS85address
	}

@inproceedings{ansade:iwha,
	author="Y. Ansade and R. Cornu-Emieux and G. Mazar\'{e} and P. Objois",
	title="Highly Parallel Logic Simulation Accelerators based upon
			Distributed Descrete--Event Simulation",
	booktitle=IWHA,
	year=1987,
	month="September",
	address=IWHAaddress
	}

@inproceedings{tham:iwha,
	author="Kit Tham",
	title="Switch--Level Simulation on a Hypercube {MIMD} Computer",
	booktitle=IWHA,
	year=1987,
	month="September",
	address=IWHAaddress
	}

@inproceedings{dyson:iwha,
	author="Clive M. Dyson and Alan H. Gray",
	title="Mixed-mode Simulation on Transputers",
	booktitle=IWHA,
	year=1987,
	month="September",
	address=IWHAaddress
	}

@inproceedings{Yoshida:iwha,
	author="Hisato Yoshida and Sadatoshi Kumagai and Isao Shirakawa
				and Shinzo Kodama",
	title="A Parallel implementation of Large-scale Circuit Simulation",
	booktitle=IWHA,
	year=1987,
	month="September",
	address=IWHAaddress,
	annote="Guass-Seidel, distributed on a Balance"
	}

Special purpose machines...

@phdthesis{carpenter:manse,
		author="A. F. Carpenter",
		title="An Engine for the Multi-level Simulation of Digital Systems",
		school="Dept. of Computer Science, University of Manchester",
		address="Oxford Road, Manchester, U.K.",
		month="October",
		year=1985
		}

@inproceedings{coleman:iwha,
	author="J. N. Coleman and Dr. A. P. Ambler",
	title="A Multiprocessor for General VLSI Design Acceleration",
	booktitle=IWHA,
	year=1987,
	month="September",
	address=IWHAaddress
	}

@article{abromovici:lsm,
		author="Miron Abramovici and Ytzhak H. Levendel and Premachandran R. Menon",
		title="A Logic Simulation Machine",
		journal="IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and
		Volume="CAD-2",
		number=2,
		month="April",
		year=1983
		}

@inproceedings{agrawal:mars,
		author="P. Agrawal and W. J. Dally and A. K. Ezzat and W. C. Fischer
		and H. V. Jagadish and A. S. Krishnakumar",
		title="Architecture and Design of the {MARS} Hardware Accelerator",
		booktitle="Proc. of the 24th ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference",
		address="Miami Beach, Florida",
		month="June",
		year=1987
		}

@article{paseman:daisy,
		author="William G. Paseman",
		title="Data Flow Concepts Speed Simulation in {C.A.E.} Systems",
		journal="Computer Design",
		month="January",
		year=1985
		}

@inproceedings{sasaki:hal,
		author="T. Sasaki",
		title="{HAL}: A Block Level Hardware Logic Simulator",
		booktitle="Proc. of the 20th ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference",
		month="June",
		year=1983
		}

General Reading.....

@article{chandy:asynch,
		author="K. M. Chandy and J. Misra",
		title="Asynchronous Distributed Simulation via a Sequence of Parallel Computat
		journal="Communications of the ACM",
		month="April",
		year=1981
		}

@inproceedings{welch:parle,
	author="P. H. Welch",
	title="Emulating Digital Logic Using Transputer Networks (very high parallelism
	booktitle=PARLE,
	year=1987,
	month="June",
	address=PARLEaddress,
	annote="Occam as an HDL",
	note="Published as Lecture Notes in Computer Science 258"
	}

@inproceedings{mehring:parle,
	author="P. Mehring and E. Aposporidis",
	title="Multi--level Simulator for {VLSI}",
	booktitle=PARLE,
	year=1987,
	month="June",
	address=PARLEaddress,
	note="Published as Lecture Notes in Computer Science 258"
	}

@inproceedings{schaefer:parle,
	author="Peter Schaefer and Philippe Schnoebelen",
	title="Specification of a Pipelined Event Driven Simulator using {FP2}",
	booktitle=PARLE,
	year=1987,
	month="June",
	address=PARLEaddress,
	note="Published as Lecture Notes in Computer Science 258"
	}

@inproceedings{frank:parallel,
		author="Edward H. Frank",
		title="Exploiting Parallelism in a Switch-Level Simulation Machine",
		booktitle="Proc. of the 23rd ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference",
		address="Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A.",
		month="June",
		year=1986
		}

@inproceedings{smith:parallelsim,
		author="Robert J. Smith",
		title="Fundamentals of Parallel Logic Simulation",
		booktitle="Proc. of the 23rd ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference",
		address="Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A.",
		month="June",
		year=1986
		}

@inproceedings{berry:ds85,
	author="Orna Berry",
	title="Critical path analysis of distributed simulation",
	booktitle=DS85,
	year=1985,
	month="January",
	address=DS85address,
	annote="Describes how to measure potential concurrency"
	}

@inproceedings{livny:ds85,
	author="Miron Livny",
	title="A study of parallelism in distributed simulation",
	booktitle=DS85,
	year=1985,
	month="January",
	address=DS85address
	}

@inproceedings{franklin:iwha,
	author="Mark A. Franklin and Ken Wong",
	title="Load and Communication balancing on Multiprocessor Logic
			Simulation Engines",
	booktitle=IWHA,
	year=1987,
	month="September",
	address=IWHAaddress
	}
Nigel Whitaker                     Tel. (061) 275 6269
Room IT308                         JANET: whitaker@uk.ac.man.cs.cad
Department of Computer Science        or nigelw@uk.ac.man.cs.ux
University of Manchester           BITNET/EARN:
Manchester                            whitaker%cad.cs.man.ac.uk@ukacrl.bitnet
M13 9PL                            UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!mucs!nigelw
U.K.                               EAN: whitaker@cad.cs.man.ac.uk