[comp.lsi] Mentor Graphics software

cyrus@pprg.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) (02/17/89)

I have head rumors that the Mentor Graphics CAD software, which
currently only runs on Apollo's, is being ported to another
vendor's platforms.  Anyone know anything of these rumors
and the when, how much, and which plateform?

Thanks in advance for any information (even if it is just
rumors).
---
    @__________@    W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806
   /|         /|    University of New Mexico
  / |        / |    Dept of ECE - Parallel Processing Research Group
 @__|_______@  |    Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131
 |  |       |  |
 @/_________@/

gld@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gary L Dare) (02/18/89)

In article <23751@pprg.unm.edu> W. Tait Cyrus wrote:
>I have head rumors that the Mentor Graphics CAD software, which
>currently only runs on Apollo's, is being ported to another
>vendor's platforms.

True; I read something like that about a month back, in the Sunday New
York Times' Business section.  Mentor woke up one morning and realized
they are not going to go any further just being on Apollo machines.
The first new port will be on Sun systems.

gld

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Gary L. Dare				> gld@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU

evans@ccicpg.UUCP ( Scott Evans) (02/18/89)

In article <23751@pprg.unm.edu>, cyrus@pprg.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) writes:
> I have head rumors that the Mentor Graphics CAD software, which
> currently only runs on Apollo's, is being ported to another
> vendor's platforms.  Anyone know anything of these rumors
> and the when, how much, and which plateform?

I have heard this rumor for at least the last year or so but it I think it is
just that, a rumor.  Mentor has rewritten a large part of their tools in
C to make their code more portable and thus be able to put themselves in a
position to port to other platforms.  Yet, I think that their relationship with
Apollo and the fact that they insist on selling you hardware as well will
probably keep them on that platform for a long time.  Still it sure
would be nice if they could run on .....(pick your favorite workstation)

Scott Evans
evans@ccicpg