[comp.lsi] VHDL description wanted

len@array.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) (04/13/89)

Can anyone give me a reference to a book or article that
gives a thorough description of VHDL, the VHSIC Hardware
Description Language?

Please reply by e-mail. I do not get a chance to read news
with any regularity. Thanks.

Leonard Vanek                  UUCP: ... uunet!attcan!lsuc!array!len
Array Systems Computing Inc.    or ... utzoo!dciem!array!len
5000 Dufferin St. Suite 200     or lsuc!array!len@ai.toronto.edu
Downsview, Ont. M3H 5T5        Phone: (416) 736-0900
Canada                         FAX:   (416) 736-4715

peepa@tut.fi (Suhonen Pertti) (04/13/89)

In article <22@array.UUCP> len@array.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) writes:

   Can anyone give me a reference to a book or article that
   gives a thorough description of VHDL, the VHSIC Hardware
   Description Language?

Yes! I'd like to have it, too.

--
Pertti Suhonen      Tampere University of Technology
peepa@tut.fi            Signal Processing Laboratory

johnson@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Phil Johnson) (04/15/89)

Try "Chip-Level Modeling with VHDL" by Prof. James R. Armstrong.  Prentice
Hall, 1989.  ISBN 0-13-133190-6.  There are countless journal articles, too.

			Phil Johnson (johnson@hpdtc.hp.com)
			HP Design Technology Center

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) (04/15/89)

In article <PEEPA.89Apr13103856@korppi.tut.fi> peepa@tut.fi (Suhonen Pertti) writes:
>In article <22@array.UUCP> len@array.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) writes:
>   [request for] reference [...] that gives a thorough description of VHDL
>Yes! I'd like to have it, too.

Not a "thorough" description, but an overview was given in EDN last month.
It was by Steven Leibson in the March 16 issue.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337

kagenski@apollo.COM (Joe Kagenski) (04/18/89)

Unfortunately, there is no one good source of descriptive information
on VHDL.  I expect to see a few more books in the near future appearing
to discuss the language and modeling techniques in general.

=The bible is:

 IEEE Standard VHDL Language Reference Manual, IEEE
   IEEE Std 1076-1987

=One book already in print is:

 Armstrong, James.  CHIP LEVEL MODELING WITH VHDL, Prentice-Hall, 1988.
    CALL NO. -  TK 7874 .A75 1989

 (this goes through some of the basics in modeling, a few holes here
  and there, but in general a good book)

= Design&Test, April 1986 issue, IEEE

 (Although outdated, since it looks at the DoD versions of the language,
  it can be valuable in understanding some of the reasoning behind the
  language.)

=Numerous Magazine Articles and Papers

 Check out the last couple years of DAC proceeding for papers.  Articles
 have appeared in VLSI Systems Design, EDN, and other places describing
 the language and it uses.

 one article that comes to mind, discusses some basics;
 Behavioral Description in VHDL; Dave Barton of Intermetrics,
 VLSI System Design, June 1988

hope this helps

joe
--
Joe Kagenski -CAE Logic Design Tools * ARPA: kagenski@apollo.com   (129.248.0.1)
Apollo Computer Inc. *  508-256-6600 * UUCP: {decwrl!decvax, mit-eddie, attunix}!apollo!kagenski