[comp.lsi] EDIF

bobm@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (Bob Molyneaux) (03/16/88)

	I recall that a UK address was given to obtain a parser
for EDIF.  I seem to have misplaced this, would someone please repost
the address.

	Thanks

				bobm@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu

moto@cad.Berkeley.EDU (EDIF Committee) (03/19/88)

In article <1188@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu> bobm@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (Bob Molyneaux) writes:

>	I recall that a UK address was given to obtain a parser
>for EDIF.  I seem to have misplaced this, would someone please repost
>the address.
>
>	Thanks
>

>				bobm@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu

 Contact Ms. Hilary J. Kahn
	 Dept. of Computer Science
	 University of Manchester
	 Oxford Road
	 Manchester M13 9pl
	 England
	 Phone 44-061-275-6156

         Copy/distribution cost $70.

	 You might try the EDIF BBS (602) 821-4297 - it has the VAX version
	 and only costs your LD charge.

	 Remember though, its public domain software, don't expect it to
	 be custome fitted to your system etc. It IS a good start for someone
	 who is waiting to "get your feet wet" though.

	 Could be available through UUCP, but I don't know the magic words.
	 Mike Waters

	 Cost $70. Specify the machine that its for.

mildredm@babel.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Mildred Magboo) (05/31/89)

I am currently working on a translator that will
convert a netlist file into an EDIF format.  I
need to know if there is anybody out there who
can provide me assistance in the conversion
process.

The only reference material I have is the EDIF 2 0 0
Standard reference book.  Please send me e-mail if you
know anything about EDIF, particularly 'netlist'
view.

Mildred Magboo
tel. no. (619) 485-2724
address: NCR, E&M San Diego
         16550 W. Bernardo Dr.
         San Diego, CA 92127

price@ncrmcc.Austin.NCR.COM (Eric V. Price) (05/31/89)

Hello Mildred.

I am NCR's liaison assigned to the MCC CAD Program. We have some
resources that may be of value. I will send hardcopy.

You might want to check with EIA (see address on (behind?) titlepage
of the 2 0 0 spec) and get the "Introduction to EDIF" written by the
technical committee. Also ask if they have any other resources.
(Schematic and PCB notes are in progress; at one time there was a
netlist note underway but I've lost track of what's going on there.)

I assume you are working for John Holmes, possibly on Valid to EDIF.
If there is a Valid User's group, they might be another source.

The UCB EDIF tools might be another source; I'll send the
documentation; you can get the tools later. It includes a reasonable
syntax checker that you will probably want to verify your EDIF output
against. I can certainly recommend the syntax checker, and some of the
documentation is worth taking a look at.

-Eric
--

 Eric Price, MCC CAD Program  |ASSET: price@austin | Phone: [512] 338-3660
 Box 200195, Austin, TX 78720 | UUCP: ...!ncrlnk!ncr-sd!milano!cadillac!price

waters@dover.sps.mot.com (Strawberry Jammer) (06/01/89)

In article <1412@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> mildredm@babel.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Mildred Magboo) writes:
>I am currently working on a translator that will
>convert a netlist file into an EDIF format.  I
>need to know if there is anybody out there who
>can provide me assistance in the conversion
>process.

>The only reference material I have is the EDIF 2 0 0
>Standard reference book.  Please send me e-mail if you
>know anything about EDIF, particularly 'netlist'
>view.

This is a frequently asked question, so I will try to give you as many
alternatives as I can. If you are going to be at the IEEE/ACM Design
Automation Conference (Las Vagas, June 26), there will be an EIA/EDIF booth
which will include rescource information as well as quite a few "live" demos.

This year the theme is showing the range of production uses of EDIF by a wide
range of CAD users/vendors. I am not on the organizing committee for this so
I don't have the latest information, but the booth is a large one with some
very ambitious plans. As in previous years ethernet/hardware is excpected to
be the limiting factor in data exchanges, but you should see some exiting
things happening.

There is an EDIF tutorial as part of DAC which is intended as a "management
overview" or "basic concepts" tutorial.

Other resources:

(1) EIA
    Standards Sales
    2001 Eye Street, N.W.
    Washinton D.C. 20006

ANSI/EIA-548 Standard Reference Guide (which you say you have)

The User Guide series, currently:
Introduction to EDIF - overview and basic EDIF concepts
EDIF Connectivity - Netlist and connections in EDIF

Applications note:
Using EDIF for Schematic Transfer (not yet published)

EDIF Questions and Answers - compendium of official answers to implementors
     questions concerning interpretation and implementation of the standard.

(2) EDIF User Group        ****NEW ADDRESS****
    P.O. Box 25542
    Tempe, AZ 85285-5542

Sponsors the annual EDIF World User Group meeting (San Jose, Sept 11-14)
Newsletter and announcements of interest to users and implementors.

(3) University of Manchester
    Dept. of Computer Science
    Oxford Road
    Manchester, M13 9PL
    England

Syntax and semantic checker, reader software
Interpretation Question Coordinator

(3) UC at Berkeley
    Cory Hall
    Berkeley CA, 94720

EDIF tools as part of their "CAD Tool Set" package.

(4) Enginmeering DataXpress Inc.
    Suite 736
    5 Town and Country Village
    San Jose, CA 95128-2026

EDIF Videotape tutorial (12 tapes of a 3 day in depth tutorial)
      -very thorough, intended to produce an "EDIF Expert"
EDI Procedural Language interface to/from EDIF
EDIF "starter kit" - includes a parser and numerous examples

I suggest that you get a parser/syntax checker from one of the sources above,
the tradeoff is really between commercial supported software and Public
Domain software and depends on your goals.

Write to the User Group to get an "information kit" (which duplicates some
of the above).

If possible, at least one person from your company should attend EDIF World
and one of the tutorials. Obviously the published literature will be helpful
as well.

Good luck!

Mike Waters - EDIF Technical Committee

--
           *Mike Waters    AA4MW/7  waters@dover.sps.mot.com *
Remember that whatever misfortune may be your lot, it could only be

root@cim1.uucp (542.00000000) (06/01/89)

I'm posting this for Hilary Kahn in response to article 616,
message-id <1412@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>

There are currently two additional official EDIF documents:
The Introduction to EDIF which covers the structure and general organisation
of EDIF and talks about syntactic issues and "A connectivity Guide" which
is due for publication now. The Connectivity document talks about all issues
relevant to the representation of connectivity - and hence covers most of
what is allowable/needed in the Netlist View. The documents are available
from the EIA (see address on the reference Guide).

In addition, there are some modelling docuuments which consider connectivity
produced in the UK and obtainable from:
A. E. Mounter
STC Technology Limited
London Road
Harlow
ESSEX CM17 9NA

Tel: (44)-279-29531 xt: 2649
There is a small charge for these. They use a combination of IDEF1X type
models and a formal specification language, VDM.

These documents are not, of course, official!

There are three other official documents which I can supply. These are
the Volumes of Questions and Answers. These volumes are a collection of
the queries asked by EDIF users over the past 2 years - and the official
answers given by the Technical Committee.  If you are interested in these,
let me know.

The Schematic TSC is producing a beginners guide to the Schematic View. It
deals only with simple issues - and is not necessarily of great relevance to
netlist view generation/processing. The PCB TSC have an Application note out
for review - this covers PCB Layout (and is even less relevant to netlist
processing).

The University of Manchester also supplies an EDIF Syntax Checker for all
levels of EDIF. The syntax checker is in Pascal and is available for Suns,
Apollos and Vax (VMS and UNIX). We have supplied about 130 worldwide so it is
reasonably well tested.

We are also able to supply EDIF test data to aid in software development.

Another service which we offer is the checking of EDIF files for syntactic and
semantic correctness. This service is being offered as part of a European
project but is available for US companies too. We have already tested a number
of industrially supplied files and systems.  We also have the ability to
produce plots of any view that has a coordinate space for any cell in the
file.

If you have any queries about EDIF can you please email them to :
edif-support@ux.cs.man.ac.uk or Fax them to (44) -61 -275 -6280 or
send them by ordinary post to :
	H.J. Kahn
	  Dept. of Computer Science
            University of Manchester
              Oxford Road
                Manchester M13 9PL
                  U. K.

One of my roles on the EDIF Technical Committee (TC) is to act as the
"Keeper of the Questions"!

			Hilary Kahn

jyc@philabs.philips.com (Jonathan Yang Chen) (06/01/89)

In article <1412@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> mildredm@babel.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Mildred Magboo) writes:
>I am currently working on a translator that will
>convert a netlist file into an EDIF format.  I
>need to know if there is anybody out there who
>can provide me assistance in the conversion
>process.

>The only reference material I have is the EDIF 2 0 0
>Standard reference book.  Please send me e-mail if you
>know anything about EDIF, particularly 'netlist'
>view.

Mike Waters and other people already mentioned the resources and
references for EDIF work.  I just want to list an example of EDIF 2 0 0
netlist that may be of help.  During the course of my work, I need
translators between EDIF and the GDT's L database (GDT is a trademark
of Silicon Compiler Systems (SCS) Corp. in New Jersey).  Since SCS does
not provide the translators, I started to write my own.  Is anyone
doing similar work?  Maybe we can exchange informations.

The following is an EDIF netlist of an CMOS opamp.  We have a copy of
University of Manchester's EDIF syntax checker;  I used it for the
syntax checking of this netlist.  However, I cannot guarantee that the
netlist is correct since I just started working on EDIF and no other
people within Philips Laboratories are experienced and/or actively
working on EDIF interface.  If anyone find any errors or want to make a
suggestion, please send me an Email.

(EDIF (Rename design "opamp.e")
  (EdifVersion 2 0 0)
  (EdifLevel 0)
  (KeywordMap (KeywordLevel 0))
  (Status (Written
    (TimeStamp   1989 5 24 15 35 0)
    (Program "LtoEDIF" (Version "V200"))
    (Author "Jonathan Y. Chen")))
  (Design opamp (CellRef opamp (LibraryRef L_1)))
  (Library (Rename L_0 "/gdt/bin/Led")
    (EDIFLevel 0)
    (Technology
      (NumberDefinition (Scale 1 (E 1 3)(Unit Resistance))
                        (Scale 1 (E 1 -12)(Unit Capacitance))))
    (Comment "The following cells are devices")
    (Cell TN
      (CellType GENERIC)
      (View V
        (ViewType NETLIST)
        (Interface
          (Port d)
          (Port s)
          (Port gr)))
      (Property SPICEPAR (String "W=4 L=3"))
    )
    (Cell TP
      (CellType GENERIC)
      (View V
        (ViewType NETLIST)
        (Interface
          (Port d)
          (Port s)
          (Port gr)))
      (Property SPICEPAR (String "W=4 L=3"))
    )
    (Cell capacitor
      (CellType GENERIC)
      (View V
        (ViewType NETLIST)
        (Interface
          (Port d (Direction INOUT))
          (Port s (Direction INOUT))))
      (Property SPICEPAR (String "5 pF"))
    )
    (Cell resistor
      (CellType GENERIC)
      (View V
        (ViewType NETLIST)
        (Interface
          (Port d (Direction INOUT))
          (Port s (Direction INOUT))))
      (Property SPICEPAR (String "7 K"))
    )
  )
  (Library (Rename L_1 "/user/jyc/Ledif/test")
    (EDIFLevel 0)
    (Technology
      (NumberDefinition (Scale 1 (E 1 3)(Unit Resistance))
                        (Scale 1 (E 1 -12)(Unit Capacitance))))
    (Comment "This is the netlist of an opamp")
    (Cell opamp
      (CellType GENERIC)
      (View V
        (ViewType NETLIST)
        (Interface
          (Port p0 (Designator "VDD"))
          (Port p1 (Designator "VDD"))
          (Joined (PortRef p0) (PortRef p1))
          (Port p2 (Designator "GND"))
          (Port p3 (Designator "GND"))
          (Port p4 (Designator "GND"))
          (Joined (PortRef p2) (PortRef p3) (PortRef p4))
          (Port p5 (Direction OUTPUT) (Designator "OUT"))
          (Port p6 (Direction INPUT) (Designator "IN"))
          (Port p7 (Direction INPUT) (Designator "IN"))
          (Port p8 (Direction INPUT) (Designator "IN"))
        )
        (Contents
          (Instance t0 (ViewRef V (CellRef TP (LibraryRef L_0)))
            (Property SPICEPAR (String "W=60 L=8")))
          (Instance t1 (ViewRef V (CellRef TP (LibraryRef L_0)))
            (Property SPICEPAR (String "W=150 L=5")))
          (Instance t2 (ViewRef V (CellRef TP (LibraryRef L_0)))
            (Property SPICEPAR (String "W=150 L=5")))
          (Instance t3 (ViewRef V (CellRef TN (LibraryRef L_0)))
            (Property SPICEPAR (String "W=45 L=10")))
          (Instance t4 (ViewRef V (CellRef TN (LibraryRef L_0)))
            (Property SPICEPAR (String "W=45 L=10")))
          (Instance t5 (ViewRef V (CellRef TP (LibraryRef L_0)))
            (Property SPICEPAR (String "W=120 L=8")))
          (Instance t6 (ViewRef V (CellRef TN (LibraryRef L_0)))
            (Property SPICEPAR (String "W=90 L=10")))
          (Instance i0 (ViewRef V (CellRef resistor (LibraryRef L_0))))
          (Instance i1 (ViewRef V (CellRef capacitor (LibraryRef L_0))))
          (Net N_0 (Joined
            (PortRef d (InstanceRef t1))
            (PortRef s (InstanceRef t0))))
          (Net N_1 (Joined
            (PortRef p0)
            (PortRef p1)))
          (Net N_2 (Joined
            (PortRef d (InstanceRef t0))
            (PortRef p0)))
          (Net N_3 (Joined
            (PortRef d (InstanceRef t2))
            (PortRef s (InstanceRef t0))))
          (Net N_4 (Joined
            (PortRef s (InstanceRef t1))
            (PortRef d (InstanceRef t3))))

	...... /* nets omitted to reduce the message length */

          (Net N_20 (Joined
            (PortRef d (InstanceRef i0))
            (PortRef s (InstanceRef i1))))
          (Net N_21 (Joined
            (PortRef d (InstanceRef i1))
            (PortRef d (InstanceRef t6))))
        )
      )
    )
  )
)

Jonathan Y. Chen
Philips Laboratories			Phone:	(914) 945-6299
North American Philips Corporation	Email:	jyc@philabs.philips.com
345 Scarborough Road			Fax:	(914) 945-6375
Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510		Telex:	646326 philab bfrf