[comp.lsi] Spice 3

flash@lehi3b15.UUCP (Stephen Corbesero) (01/11/89)

We have just finished using Spice 3 in an advanced design class, and
we were less than impressed with its performance.  I was wondering
just how many people are using Spice 3 out there, and what the
comments/criticisms are.

Thanks in advance.....

--
Stephen Corbesero                              flash@lehi3b15.UUCP
VLSI Design Automation Lab                     usgcorb@vax1.cc.Lehigh.EDU

badri@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (Badri Lokanathan) (01/12/89)

In article <435@lehi3b15.UUCP>, flash@lehi3b15.UUCP (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
> We have just finished using Spice 3 in an advanced design class, and
> we were less than impressed with its performance.  I was wondering
> just how many people are using Spice 3 out there, and what the
> comments/criticisms are.

Last year, we were trying out various versions of spice (IGSPICE,
spice 3a7 etc.) mainly for the purpose of better output.

Several problems were found with spice 3a7. The main problems: frequency
domain analysis was buggy and the models (MOS level 2, for instance)
missed certain parameters. Also the program itself was flaky. It would
frequently get into strange states (complaining about errors occuring
in procedures,) from which the only recovery was to exit.

IGSPICE was better from our point of view, but we continued to use
spice 2g6 for most of our course work, mainly because its behaviour is
well understood.

We have not tried the b release of spice 3.
--
"It's better to burn out               {) badri@ee.rochester.edu
 Than it is to rust-                  //\\ {ames,cmcl2,columbia,cornell,

flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) (06/08/89)

What is the current version of Spice 3?  We are running Spice 3B1,
which we got a year or so ago, and we hope there is newer release.

Thanks in advance....

--
Stephen Corbesero                              flash@lehi3b15.UUCP
VLSI Design Automation Lab                     flash@lehi3b15.CSEE.Lehigh.EDU

atul@parns.nsc.com (Atul) (06/09/89)

In article <575@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
>What is the current version of Spice 3?  We are running Spice 3B1,
>which we got a year or so ago, and we hope there is newer release.

      Just got a note from EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program from Berkeley that
Spice3C.1 is now available.

     Atul P. Agarwal          |
National Semiconductor Corp., |  What is this life if full of care ?
   atul@parns.nsc.com         |  We have no time to stand and stare.

zircon@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Mike Van der Tol) (06/13/89)

In article <134@snappy.nsc.com> atul@snappy.UUCP (Atul) writes:

>Just got a note from EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program from Berkeley that
>Spice3C.1 is now available.

How can I obtain a copy of the above release of SPICE?  Is it available
through some anonymous ftp or is that just wishful thinking?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
M. Van der Tol, Electrical Engineering, University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1.      (519)885-1211 Ext 2872
(vandert@phonon.waterloo.edu) or (zircon@watdcsu.waterloo.edu)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

atul@parns.nsc.com (Atul) (06/14/89)

In article <6009@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> zircon@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Mike Van der Tol) writes:

>How can I obtain a copy of the above release of SPICE?  Is it available
>through some anonymous ftp or is that just wishful thinking?

  The above program can be obtained by writing to
              Cindy Manly Fields
            EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program
             479 Cory Hall
             University of California Berkeley
                Berkeley CA 94720.

You need to indicate the version you want ie, Unix, VMS, PC
and the distribution media, ie, magnetic tape(tar or ansi or card image etc)
or diskette(DSDD, DSHD)

You need to include a cheque for $150 payable to The Regents of the University
of California.

             Hope this helps
call: 415 643 6687 for more info.