[comp.lsi] Latest version of MAGIC

donham@grip.cis.upenn.edu (Christopher Donham) (06/28/89)

I am looking for the latest and greatest version of MAGIC from the fine
people at Berkeley.  I have been unable to find a net address for any
of the people listed as editors of the 1986 version we have:

     Walter S. Scott,
     Robert N. Mayo,
     Gordon Hamachi,
     John K. Ousterhout

Places I tried include:
    magic@kim.berkeley.edu
    magic@ucbkim.berkeley.edu
    mayo@mustard.berkeley.edu

Any information on the latest version of MAGIC, and an FTP site for
sources would be greatly appreciated.  Since I do not normally read
this news group, please direct replies to me personally:

   donham@grip.cis.upenn.edu

Thanks,
   Christopher Donham

mayo@decwrl.dec.com (Bob Mayo) (06/29/89)

In article <12468@netnews.upenn.edu> donham@grip.cis.upenn.edu (Christopher Donham) writes:

>I am looking for the latest and greatest version of MAGIC from the fine
>people at Berkeley.  I have been unable to find a net address ...

The net address for the Magic group is "magic@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu".

The 1986 release is the latest, although there are plans for a new release.
The exact release date is not known at this time -- maybe 4-5 months from now.
The new release will contain code contributed by Livermore Labs and Stanford,
as well code from other places.  Digital Equipment is helping out by allowing
me to work on this, and by providing disk space and compute power.  When the
release is available I'll announce it on this newsgroup.

I'm currently maintaining a list of Magic bug fixes for the '86 release.
An index of the files available is attached to this message.  There aren't
enough free hours available to provide full-scale support for the system, but
I believe the notes I maintain are sufficient to keep people reasonably
up-to-date.  If you want to help out with this cooperative project, feel free
to write up a cad tool note that might be of interest to others.  I'll be more
than happy to include it in my list.

--Bob Mayo

INDEX OF CAD TOOL NOTES  (current through 6/28/89)

This index is maintained by Bob Mayo (mayo@decwrl.dec.com).  The notes are
available from Bob Mayo via electronic mail.

    * indicates a recent addition to this list.

Note #	Date		Description of problem
------+---------------+-------------------------------------------
AERO-1  6/29/88         EQNTOTT:  Fixes for Suns
UCB-1	12/31/85	MAGIC:  Slashes in cell names
UCB-2	2/5/86		MAGIC:  Old SCMOS tech file
UCB-3	2/13/86		MAGIC:  Core dumps on Sun3
UCB-4	4/25/86		MAGIC:  Wrong resistance extraction
UCB-5	8/3/86		MAGIC:  Cell selection core dump
UCB-6	11/24/86	MAGIC:  Calma output has wrong coordinates
UCB-7	9/9/87		MAGIC:  How to get SCMOS tech file from MOSIS
UCLA-1	4/15/88	        SIM2SPICE:  Running on a non-VAX machine
UTEX-1	6/22/88	        MAGIC:  Removing references to ~cad
UTEX-2	6/22/88	        MAGIC:  Running on an AED 512
WISC-1	4/13/88		MAGIC:  Removing assembly language from Magic
WISC-2	4/13/88		MAGIC:  Porting Magic to the Sun4/110C
WISC-3	4/13/88		ESIM:  Porting Esim to the Sun4/110C
WISC-4	4/13/88		MAGIC:  Porting Magic to the Sun3/110C
WISC-5	4/13/88		CRYSTAL:  Porting Crystal to the Sun4/110C
WISC-6	4/18/88	        MAGIC:  Curing "window lock broken" on Suns
WISC-7	4/29/88	        X.V10R4:  Porting to the Sun4/110C
WISC-8	6/6/88	        MAGIC:  Relaxed copyright on the graphics drivers
WISC-9	10/26/88        MAGIC:  Running under SunOS-Rel-4.0

marco@buengc.BU.EDU (Marco Zelada) (06/29/89)

In article <12468@netnews.upenn.edu> donham@grip.cis.upenn.edu (Christopher Donham) writes:

>I am looking for the latest and greatest version of MAGIC from the fine
>people at Berkeley.

	I heard some rumors that UCB had or will drop Magic. Is there any
truth to this ?

	Is there any indication that there will be a new Magic release ever ?

	What about the Oct toolset, how many schools are using it as a teaching
tool ?

	We have run an experimental class using the Oct toolset as the primary
teaching tool and it went well, all things considered. Most of our problems
were with vem and the fact that we still had to interface to non-Oct tools
such as the scmos DRC, cazm, mextra, spice, etc.

	I think that there should be better support for a complete cell library
in all views ( schematic, symbolic and physical ). The MSU cells are provided,
but they only exists in the physical view. Does anybody have a schematic pallet
with symbols for all of the cells included in the MSU cells ? If so, does bdsim
understand each symbol's functionality ?

	Is there any document I can read that explains all of the steps needed
to incorporate a new cell library into Oct, generate all views for every cell
( schematic, symbolic, physical ) and the tools that need to be told about this
new cells ?

	I have read most of the docs included with Oct 3.2 but still need more.
I also read the few lines of explanation the MSU guys left for knowing how to
generate physical views out of cif.

	Thanks in advance.
| Name:	 Marco Zelada                  | Tel: 617 353 9882, Fax: 353 6322 |
| Group: VLSI CAD Research Laboratory  | E-mail: marco@buengc.bu.edu      |
| Dept:  Electrical & Computer Eng.    | US-Mail: 44 Cummington St.       |
| Org:   Boston University             |	     Boston MA, 02215     |