[comp.lsi] WOM reference needed

dswise@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (10/19/89)

Serious request for a frivolous article:

Several years ago, in an April Fool's issue of some digital design mag
was a one-page product announcement for a WOM----a write-only-memory.
Included a picture of a DIP, gave pin assignments, signal levels, timings, etc.
Also suggested that a block of clear white pine would suffice.

Surely someone still has a copy of this taped on the wall!
I need the bibliographic citation (for reference from  a serious paper);
please respond by Email as I am not a reqular reader of comp.lsi.

[It's complicated to explain how the concept of a WOM can be useful, but it is.]

In article <26600002@iuvax> dswise@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:

>Serious request for a frivolous article:
>
>Several years ago, in an April Fool's issue of some digital design mag
>was a one-page product announcement for a WOM----a write-only-memory.
>Included a picture of a DIP, gave pin assignments, signal levels, timings, etc.
>Also suggested that a block of clear white pine would suffice.
[...]

Signetics TTL catalogs, vintage '76-79 or thereabouts, include a
description of just such a beastie.  One of the features of the logic
diagram was a faucet, ostensibly to drain data into a bitbucket if
the WOM got too full...

				--Blair
				  "Now it takes twelve processors
				   and a series of impossibilities