[comp.lsi] Cadence mailing list found

glenn@synaptx.Synaptics.Com (Glenn Gribble) (10/25/89)

[If you don't have any interest in Cadence software, skip this message.]

I received about 20 replies about Cadence software.

A couple of people pointed out the Cadence mailing list run by
Canadian Microelectronics Corporation, the Canadian Cadence
distributor.

Most people were interested in joining a mailing list.

A few people also had questions about which versions of
software would be discussed.

One person also pointed out the Cadence User Group Meeting, 13-14 Nov 1989
at Techmart in Santa Clara, CA.
[ My copy says, "call Nora Reichel at Cadence (408)954-7579" by Nov 1]

First, the information about the mailing list:

Coordinator:
  Peter Ellis,
  Operations Coordinator                     Telephone: (613) 545-2914
  Canadian Microelectronics Corporation      FAX:       (613) 548-8105
  Queen's University,                        Email:     ellis@cmc.ca
  Kingston, Ontario, Canada                          or ELLIS@QUCDNCMC
  K7L 3N6                                            on BITNET/NetNorth/EARN

Some questions and answers about the mailing list:

> I am also going to post a message to the usenet group comp.lsi as a
> followup to my request for information about a cadence mailing list.
> Is there any problem telling everybody about this?

That's fine with me.  It might be worth mentioning the points I mentioned
to you (i.e. occasional references to Cadence releases by the CMC (Canadian
Microelectronics Corporation) to Canadian universities).  Also note that
some Cadence employees subscribe to the list.

[Earlier comments from Peter Ellis]
You should be aware, however, that much of the discussion pertains to
Cadence in the form that it is distributed by our organization to Canadian
universities.  However, there are several "industrial" subscribers as well
and some very knowledgeable people out there.  The list has been fairly
quiet lately anyway.  Hopefully some new blood will perk it up.  You can
send any contributions to the list to cadence@cmc.ca, subscription requests
to vlsiic@cmc.ca.

[Comments from Ron Riesenbach]
  Cadence software is distributed by the Canadian Microelectronics Corporation
(CMC) to most major Universities across Canada. Some 70 nodes are in use today.
The CMC (a non-profit, government funded institution) has staff who work full
time in developing new Cadence tools, tech files and cell libraries on
behalf of the universities.

[Comments from Jim Barby]
There is a Canadian CADENCE users mailing list based out of the
Canadian Microelectronics Corporation.  About 1 or 2 dozen Canadian
universities use CADENCE along with the standard cell library from
CMC.

> Is this list appropriate for all Cadence products?
>   Dracula?
>   Edge design/place&route/verification/skill products?

It's really only been used for Edge-related issues so far but I see no
reason why it couldn't be used for other Cadence products as well.

> Do you know any reason skill code could not be sent out in a mailing
> list format?

Depends on the size ... I leave it up to each individual's judgement at
present whether to send something out to the list or on a per-request
basis.

> Is this list moderated?

No, the list is not moderated.  If it were to become necessary to do so
(due to traffic or message content) it could become so.

> Are there any inappropriate topics?  Do you have some kind of "policy"
> file I should post with my usenet message?

Only the standard common sense policies that apply to any list of this type
such as courtesy and size of submissions.

=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=

We here at Mitel semiconductor use the Cadence software as the core
of our CAD system. We've been Cadence customers for almost 4 years now.

Terry lalonde (Manager ICCAD, Mitel Semiconductor)
Usenet:  ...!uunet!mitel!lalonde
=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=
From uunet!vlsi.waterloo.edu!jabarby Wed Oct 18 14:34:14 1989
[Mentioned vlsiic@cmc.ca mailing list]
=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=
From uunet!hac2arpa.hac.com!pc9822%fisher Wed Oct 18 19:11:09 1989
Company: Hughes Aircraft; El Segundo, CA 90245
Yes, we are a Cadence user here at Hughes.
       LeRoy Fisher
       fisher%fisher@hac2arpa.hac.com
=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=
From: uunet!ntmtka.mn.org!jp (Jon Pellant)
Northern Telecom Inc. and Bell Northern Research uses Cadence...
   __________
  /____  ___ \  Jon Pellant
      / /__/ /  Northern Telecom, Inc.       (612) 932-8792
 __  / _____/   Networking Systems           jp@ntmtka.mn.org
/ /_/ /         Box 1222                     {rosevax,bungia}!ntmtka!jp
\____/          Minneapolis MN  55440
=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=
From: uunet!sunvlsi.cern.ch!marchior (Alessandro Marchioro)

Yes, we do have Cadence in here.  We have just acquired the package
for a project where we intend to design a fairly large digital device
with a standard cell library.  I would also be interested to know
about experiences from other users.

Alessandro Marchioro
CERN
European Organization for Nuclear Physics
1211 Geneva 23
Switzerland

mcsun!sunvlsi.cern!marchior@uunet.UU.NET
=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=
From: uunet!CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU!CARRO%AGRCLU%ITOPOLI.BITNET
                    carro@agr03.to.cnr.it
=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=
From: Ron Riesenbach <uunet!csri.toronto.edu!itrctor>
 Ron Riesenbach, Manager     Toronto Site Office
 Information Technology Research Centre
=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=
From uunet!SJ.ATE.SLB.COM!sheila Thu Oct 19 11:43:09 1989

Yes.  We OEM Cadence's Dracula package on our machines.
Sheila Sung      	Diagnostic Systems
=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=
From: uunet!xilinx!kevin (Kevin Kelleher)

We currently have a demo in house and are thinking of getting it.

Kevin Kelleher				uunet!xilinx!kevin
Xilinx Inc.				(408) 559-7778
=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=
From: uunet!cs.sfu.ca!john (John Simmons)
     We are "sort of" using Cadence.  I say "sort of" because it doesn't
quite fit our design methodology, because we have a license to run it on
only 2 machines and because our machines are somewhat underpowered to run
Cadence for "large" designs.  (We are running it on Sun 3-260's with 4 and
8 Meg of memory and only 30 Meg of disk swap.)

     The learning curve is also rather incredibly steep and finding the time
to "learn" instead of "design" is difficult.

John L. Simmons
School of Computing Science
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby.  British Columbia
Canada
V5A - 1S6

john@cs.sfu.ca
=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=	=
From: uunet!apple.com!voder!nsc!parns.nsc.com!ricardo (Dick Smith)

Yes, there is interest here at National.  We have a large number of Cadence
systems are interested in sharing experiences.  By the way, are you aware
that Cadence is organizing a first User's Group Meeting at the Techmart on
November 13 and 14?  If you start a Cadence Mailing List, please add me.  I
will be glad to post any mailings to our local cadence newsgroup.

   Dick Smith      ricardo@parns.nsc.com
From uunet!qucdnee1.ee.queensu.ca!CHO Mon Oct 23 07:45:17 1989
We use Cadence EDGE 2.0d. A mailing list/ forum sounds like a good idea.

Y.H. Cho
<cho@qucdnee1.queensu.ca>
--
Glenn Gribble	 	glenn@synaptics.com 	uunet!synaptx!glenn