		----------------------------------
				by

			 Eliezer Sternheim
		       Interpretive Systems

			   Rajvir Singh
		        Nexgen Microsystems

			   Yatin Trivedi
			 Sun Microsystems

This is the first book about the Verilog Hardware Description Language
which has become a standard for designing digital systems and VLSI devices.
The book is primarily written for those who have prior knowledge of the
Verilog HDL and want to learn more about designing complex devices and large
systems.

This book is also useful to designers with no Verilog experience but with
exposure to other hardware description languages or high level programming
languages. A separate chapter is devoted to the introduction of Verilog HDL
with emphasis on the behavioral aspects of the language.

The book also contains a separate chapter describing some useful tips and
techniques in modeling debugging. Two appendices give formal syntax of the
language and its reserved keywords.

The book contains the following chapters:

	1. Why Hardware Description Languages?
	2. Anatomy of the Verilog HDL
	3. Modeling a Pipelined Processor
	4. Modeling System Blocks
	5. Modeling Cache Memories
	6. Modeling Asynchronous I/O: UART
	7. Modeling a Floppy Disk Subsystem
	8. Useful Modeling and Debugging Techniques

	Appendix A: Verilog Formal Syntax Definition
	Appendix B: Verilog Keywords

Each chapter on modeling first describes a piece of hardware, then develops
and explains its Verilog model, and at the end, provides a complete listing
of the Verilog model. The stress has been to design a piece of hardware at
a higher level of abstraction which can be implemented at gate level by some
appropriate synthesizer.

Check with local bookstores or to order a copy of the book write to the publishers:

	Automata Publishing Company
	PO Box 50335
	Palo Alto, CA 94303, USA
	Fax: 415-855-9545
	Phone: 408-255-0705

	VOLUME DISCOUNT AVAILABLE FROM PUBLISHER

The souce code for the models can be purchased from the publisher.

DISCLAIMER: This posting is done as a favor to the authors and I have no
personal monetary benefits

Shrenik Mehta
Sun Microsystems
shrenik@Eng.Sun.COM

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (08/03/90)

In article <140081@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> shrenik@pyramis.Eng.Sun.COM (Shrenik Mehta) writes:
>	[Announcment of new book on Verilog Hardware Description Language]
>
>This is the first book about the Verilog Hardware Description Language
>which has become a standard for designing digital systems and VLSI devices.
>The book is primarily written for those who have prior knowledge of the
>Verilog HDL and want to learn more about designing complex devices and large
>systems.

Lemme see now, that's "Verilog Hardware Description Language" - by golly,
that's VHDL! I've been hearing all about that lately; something about
VHDL use mandated on government work or something. Geez, sounds great!

Seems like there is potential for confusing Verilog HDL with:

	VHSIC Hardware Description Language (VHDL)

where VHSIC stands for Very High Speed Integrated Circuit. _This_ VHDL was
designed by Intermetrics and is the one the government likes.

Of course, for all I know, Verilog HDL may in fact _be_ VHSIC HDL. The language
is (I believe) in the public domain, and Intermetrics licenses its VHDL
compiler to other companies; I think other companies have also written
VHDL compilers. Does anyone KNOW if Verilog HDL is VHSIC HDL?

This is not meant as a flame at Verilog (or anyone); I just wanted to
head off some possible confusion.

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com

Claimer: I used to work at Intermetrics. Several Intermetricians have
		 written a book on VHSIC HDL; I don't recall the title offhand.

gchin@ssf.Eng.Sun.COM (Gary Chin) (08/04/90)

Verilog HDL is not the same as the government standard VHDL,
but Verilog HDL is widely used by commercial companies.

Gary Chin

rpw3@rigden.wpd.sgi.com (Rob Warnock) (08/04/90)

In article <12363@encore.Encore.COM> jcallen@encore.com (Jerry Callen) writes:
+---------------
| Does anyone KNOW if Verilog HDL is VHSIC HDL?
+---------------

No, "Verilog HDL" != VHSIC HDL, but VHSIC == "VHDL". And indeed, Verilog HDL
and VHDL are the two main current contenders for hardware behavioral models
intended for "compiling" into gates using some form of logic synthesis.

From what I can tell with the ASIC vendors I've been talking to, synthesis
from Verilog HDL is here "now" (plus or minus a beta test or so), and syn-
thesis from VHDL is promised anywhere from "someday" to "real soon" to "as
soon as we get the Verilog HDL synthesis software stable".

Or to put it another way, "everybody" says VDHL is "the future" and "the way
to go" and "required, if you want any government business", but synthesis from
a Verilog HDL model is here now.

The Verilog simulator itself [the program product from Cadence] is certainly
here now, and you can sometimes get even non-ASIC chip vendors to give you
[o.k., often under NDA] Verilog behavioral descriptions for their chips,
which makes it a lot easier to simulate a board or a system with a mix of
standard parts and your custom parts. And wouldn't you know it, those same
chip vendors that are so happy to give you the Verilog models for their chips
somehow haven't yet gotten around to writing VHDL models for their chips...
which is no surprise since most of the big chip vendors use Verilog internally!

And of course, synthesis from either Verilog or VHDL functional and gate-level
models has been around for a while (though even here Verilog seems to be more
common).

-Rob

p.s. Definition of some terms [to the best of my understanding, may be a
little bit "off", I'm still learning this stuff]:

"Behavioral model" - a high-level almost black-box description of the
relationships between a module's inputs, outputs, and possibly some internal
state. In Verilog HDL and in VHDL, one uses "C"-like variables, operators,
and flow control primitives. Delays and timing and synchronization may be
handled explicitly in the model, or you may choose to do a "zero-delay" model,
for more simulation speed. Parallel processes are explicitly supported, as
are fork/join, events/wait_for_event, etc.

"Functional model" - all you are allowed to do is interconnect instantiations
of pre-defined sub-modules from a library, usually provided by a third party
CAD software firm. At this level, you might have "counters", "ALUs", "RAMs",
"buffers", etc. (When doing board-level functional modelling, these might be
chips, e.g. 74F374.) Each library is tuned to a specific ASIC vendor or silicon
foundry, and each predefined element accurately reflects the drive, delays,
etc., of some "standard cell" (or in the case of gate arrays, pre-defined
allocation/interconnection) that achieves that functionality.

"Gate-level model" - all you are allowed to do is to specify the interconnects
between instantiations of pre-defined low-level "gate" constructs, like AND,
OR, NOR, XOR, transmission gate, pull-up, wire (of various capacitances), etc.
All higher-level functionality must be expressed in terms of wires and gates.
Delays, drive capacity, wire capacitance, etc., are all explicit at this level.

"Synthesis" - the automatic transformation or "compiling" of a behavioral or
functional model into a gate-level model, possibly with considerable optim-
ization.

[Gate-level models thus correspond to the "assembly language" of ASIC design,
and "assembly" would thus include transforming the gate-level design into the
primitive rectangles that make up transistors in silicon, and the placing of
the transistors and routing of "wires" (other rectangles of silicon and alum-
inum) between them.]

-----
Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311

davidb@inmet.inmet.com (08/10/90)

/* Written 10:31 am  Aug  3, 1990 by jcallen@Encore.COM */

>Seems like there is potential for confusing Verilog HDL with:

>	VHSIC Hardware Description Language (VHDL)

>where VHSIC stands for Very High Speed Integrated Circuit. _This_ VHDL was
>designed by Intermetrics and is the one the government likes.

Whoa!!  Alarm Bells!!  Deflector shields up!!  Extreme defensive mode on!!

The present VHDL (VHSIC Hardware Description Language) is an IEEE
standard (1076-1987).  To say that it was "designed by Intermetrics"
is unfair to a lot of very bright people that worked very hard on the
VASG (VHDL Analysis and Standadization Group) during the
standardization process.  It is true that the language designed for
the government by Intermetrics, VHDL 7.2, was used as a baseline by
the VASG; however, this language was extensively changed and now must
be called a committee effort in every sense of the word (both good and
bad).   (No flame Jerry --- just setting the record straight).

Synthesis from VHDL (or a subset of VHDL) is also "here today" in the
form of products by Synopsys, among others.  The VHDL text to which
Jerry refers is by Lipsett, Shaefer, and Ussary and is published by
Kluwar.

VHDL is presently in the middle of the re-validation process (required
by IEEE rules every five years).  It looks as though there will be
some fairly extensive changes made during this process.  Anyone
interested in this process can contact Victor Berman at Cadence in
Boston; Victor is head of the North American branch of the VASG.  Stan
Krowlikowski of IBM in Rochester, MN is chair of the overall VASG.

The VHDL User's Group will be meeting at the Claremont resort hotel
October 15-17, 1990.  For information contact CMS (Conference
Management Services) in Menlo Park at (415) 329-0510.  It looks like a
good group of papers (said the program chair, modestly).  The
following two days the Design Automation Standards Subcommittee (DASS)
will meet.  The DASS is the parent group of the VASG.  In addition to
the VASG other working groups will be meeting.

						Dave Barton
						Intermetrics, Inc.
						barton@i2wash.com