[comp.lsi] edge triggered or self-clocked logic

mpurtell@pv0549.vincent.iastate.edu (Purtell Michael J) (09/25/90)

I'm in a VLSI class where we'll each be doing a full custom design for our
final project and I'm exploring the possibility of using edge triggered
or self-clocked(?) logic in the design (A Mandelbrot set generator,
this point).

I've read Ivan Sutherland's Turing Award lecture on the subject and would like
some references to other papers written on this subject and papers on actual
implementations in silicon. Or any experiences any of you have had with it.

Thanks for any pointers you can give me!
                   Michael Purtell ---- mpurtell@iastate.edu
Iowa State University ---- Birthplace of the first electronic digital computer

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) (09/25/90)

 mpurtell@iastate.edu (Purtell Michael J) writes:

>I'm in a VLSI class where we'll each be doing a full custom design for our
>final project

I could tell you a horror story about my full-custom chip I did at UCLA...

>and I'm exploring the possibility of using edge triggered
>or self-clocked(?) logic in the design (A Mandelbrot set generator,
>this point).

I've been designing chips for over 5 years, and I'll swear by using fully-
synchronous logic. Self-clocked logic IS feasible and DOES work, but you
have to be extremely careful with timing. A mandelbrot generator is a
rather complicated device, and you have a (very) limited amount of time
to get this thing designed, entered, rule-checked, simulated, debugged,
analyzed, fabricated, and tested.

#ifdef SERMON
I don't mean this sarcastically, but good luck. I was still working on mine
during finals week and seriously considered not taking my history final so
I could work on my chip (why take an exam you didn't have time to study for ?)

Chip design is fun and challenging. Don't try to burn yourself out now, because
there will be plenty of opportunity for that on-the-job.
#endif

roger@wucs1.wustl.edu (Roger Chamberlain) (09/27/90)

In article <910@attila.WEITEK.COM> severino@attila.WEITEK.COM (andrea severino) writes:
>There are many articles about what you are saying
>a little bit everywhere.  There was a group of people at
>the university of Washington (under a fello by the name of Molnar)
>who have written a great deal about self-clocked mechanisms.
>
>And there are a lot of articles about metastable and automatic
>de-skewing circuits written by labs and universities.
>
>What is your motivation?  What constraints?

Yes, Charles Molnar and company have done a lot of work on self-clocked
and delay insensitive circuits.  However, they are not at the
Univ. of Washington, Seattle, but rather at Washington Univ., St. Louis.

The two schools get enough of each others mail as it is, please don't send
requests for tech. reps., reprints, etc. to Seattle. :-)

Roger Chamberlain					roger@wuccrc.wustl.edu
Computer and Communications Research Center
Campus Box 1115    Washington University
St. Louis, MO  63130   USA					(314)-889-5708