[comp.lsi] VLSI Software

rmorse@hdwr1.UUCP (Robert Morse) (01/31/91)

I have a question about the Magic software.  I called up and asked for a
catalog of the ,`so called free software`, and in a week or so received
the catalog.  Now is the problem.  When I look up the Magic software I find
that because I am not a university, I am expected to donate $1500.00 dollars
for the software, as they think everyone who is not at a university is going
to get it for a company.  I know that they must support research, but
I want to get the software for personal use. ( Basicly I have always
been interested in VLSI design and thought this would a good way to
learn about it.)  I know they have a $250.00 copy fee, and I would not mind
paying that, and maybe a small donation, but for personal use, paying $1500.00
is too much.  If anyone has any Ideas of what I might be able to do I would
appreciate it.

	Thanks in advance.  Robert Morse

!!!feels good to blow off a little steam!!! :-)

mayo@wrl.dec.com (Bob Mayo) (02/01/91)

In article <45@hdwr1.UUCP> rmorse@hdwr1.UUCP (Robert Morse) writes:
>I have a question about the Magic software.  I called up and asked for a
>catalog of the ,`so called free software`, and in a week or so received
>the catalog.  Now is the problem.  When I look up the Magic software I find
>that because I am not a university, I am expected to donate $1500.00 dollars
>for the software, as they think everyone who is not at a university is going
>to get it for a company.

Magic V6 is also available from me via FTP within the USA.  There is no
charge.  Or, you may steal it from a friend.  If you require a tape or if
you are outside of the USA, you'll have to either pay Berkeley or get a friend
to make you a tape.  The copyright for version 6 allows unlimited copying and
distribution by anybody.  Any way you get it, it would be nice if you sent
a few bucks to Berkeley to help fund similar projects...

The reason that I got Berkeley to change the copyright in this manner is that
I feel that lots more people could use and enhance magic if it was free.  In
particular, there appears to be a "cottage industry" of individual IC
designers out there that rely on free or inexpensive software such as Magic.

Now, all we need is to find someone to fund a small group of people to
support the thing.  Perhaps I should open up a $5/minute 900-number for
magic questions!

--Bob

shers@masala.lcs.mit.edu (Alexander The Great Sherstinsky) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Feb1.010924.1854@pa.dec.com> mayo@wrl.dec.com (Bob Mayo) writes:
#The reason that I got Berkeley to change the copyright in this manner is that
#I feel that lots more people could use and enhance magic if it was free.  In
#particular, there appears to be a "cottage industry" of individual IC
#designers out there that rely on free or inexpensive software such as Magic.
#
What is this "cottage industry"?  How can I find out about it?  Thanks.
--
|Alexander The Great Sherstinsky|me    |shers@masala.lcs.mit.edu|To become as  |