[comp.lsi] SPICE parameters for GaAs BJT's or diodes

krk@norton.berkeley.edu (Ken Krieg) (02/07/91)

    Does anyone have reliable SPICE parameters for GaAs bipolar transistors
or GaAs diodes?  There seem to be quite a few GaAsFET models, but I can't
seem to find any GaAs BJT models.  Any models or ideas on where they
can be found would be appreciated.

ken krieg

buchs%falcon.dnet@wookie.mayo.EDU (Kevin J. Buchs) (02/07/91)

>     Does anyone have reliable SPICE parameters for GaAs bipolar transistors
> or GaAs diodes?  There seem to be quite a few GaAsFET models, but I can't
> seem to find any GaAs BJT models.  Any models or ideas on where they
> can be found would be appreciated.
>
> ken krieg

We do have GaAs BJT models we are using.  However, we got those models
from Rockwell under a non-disclosure agreement, so we can NOT distribute
them.  If you would like the name of a contact at Rockwell, send me a
personal message with a return address.

Kevin Buchs          Internet: buchs@mayo.edu
Mayo Foundation              Is this my life or is it just an
Rochester, MN 55905          incredible, high-speed, simulation?
(507) 284-0009                         -S. R. Cleaves

chik@eecg.toronto.edu (Raymond Chik) (02/08/91)

In article <9102062047.AA09168@wookie.Mayo.edu> buchs%falcon.dnet@wookie.mayo.EDU (Kevin J. Buchs) writes:

>>     Does anyone have reliable SPICE parameters for GaAs bipolar transistors
>> or GaAs diodes?  There seem to be quite a few GaAsFET models, but I can't
>> seem to find any GaAs BJT models.  Any models or ideas on where they
>> can be found would be appreciated.
>>
>> ken krieg
>>

>We do have GaAs BJT models we are using.  However, we got those models
>from Rockwell under a non-disclosure agreement, so we can NOT distribute
>them.  If you would like the name of a contact at Rockwell, send me a
>personal message with a return address.

	Could some one make a brief summary of what kinds of GaAs
FETs or BJT SPICE models that are current available/used?

	We use a FET model from TriQuint also under a non-disclosure
agreement in our lab.

	Anyone out there desinging GaAs analog circuits with SPICE/HSPICE?

* May the force be with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*
*         Raymond Y. V. Chik	           |_           \           _|   *
*         VLSI Research Grp.                 ||      --------     ||     *
*         Dept. of Elec. Eng.               _||o-+   | -+-+-   +-o||_    *
*         U. of Toronto                    |     |   |  +-+    |     |   *
*                                          |_    |   |  _|_    |    _|   *
*Internet:    chik@eecg.toronto.edu          ||--+   | | | |   +--||     *
*	      chik@vrg.toronto.edu	    _||     /  | | |	  ||_    *
*      8-)      >-(      |-<       %->	   |	         |           |   *

pi@quark.isi.edu (Jen-I Pi) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb7.153313.25417@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, chik@eecg.toronto.edu (Raymond Chik) writes:

|> >We do have GaAs BJT models we are using.  However, we got those models
|> >from Rockwell under a non-disclosure agreement, so we can NOT distribute
|> >them.  If you would like the name of a contact at Rockwell, send me a
|> >personal message with a return address.
|> >

|> 	Could some one make a brief summary of what kinds of GaAs
|> FETs or BJT SPICE models that are current available/used?

Let me give this a try for GaAs MESFET models.
However, this is nowhere a complete list!
First, some definitions :-)
@string{ieeespt = "{IEEE} Spectrum"}
@string{ieeetcad= "{IEEE} Trans. on CAD"}
@string{ieeetmtt= "{IEEE} Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques"}
@string{ieeeted = "{IEEE} Trans. on Electron Devices"}
@string{ieeetmtt= "{IEEE} Journal of Solid-State Circuit"}
A recent survey paper is

@article{Vendelin90,
  author="G. D. Vendelin90,
  title="Evaluating Nolinear Models for Microwave {GaAsFETs}",
  journal=ieeespt, year=1990, pages={48--50}, month="September"
}

It contains a table of commercial available simulation tools for GaAs
MESFET designs. Five GaAs MESFET models are mentioned. They are

(1) Statz-Pucel's (Raytheon) Model:
--------------------------------------
@incollection{Pucel75,
  author="R. A. Pucel and H. A. Haus and H. Statz",
  title="Signal and Noise Properties of {GaAs} Microwave Fiels Effect\
    Transistors",
  booktitle="Advances in Electronics and Electron Physics",
  publisher="Academic Press", year=1975, editor="L. Marton", pages={195--265}}
@article{Statz87,
  author="H. Statz and P. Newman and I. W. Smith and R. A. Pucel and H. A. Haus",
  title="Ga{A}s {FET} Device and Circuit SImulation in {SPICE}",
  journal=ieeeted, year=1987, volume="ED-34", number=2, pages={160--169}}

(2) Curtice's Model:
--------------------------------------
@article{Curtice88,
  author="W. R. Curtice",
  title="{GaAs MESFET} Modeling and Nonlinear {CAD}",
  journal=ieeetmtt, year=1988, volume="MTT-36", number=2, pages={220--230}}

(3) Kacprzak-Materka's Model:
--------------------------------------
@article{Kacprzak83,
  author="T. Kacprzak and A. Materka",
  title="Compact dc Model of {GaAs MESFET}'s for Large-Signal Computer\
    Calculation"
  journal=ieeejssc, year=1983, volume="SC-18", number=2, pages={211-213}
}

(4) T.O.M. (TriQuint) Model:
--------------------------------------
Described briefly in
@article{McCamant90,
  author="A. J. Mc{C}amant and G. D. Mc{C}ormack and D. H. Smith",
  title="An Improved Ga{A}s {MESFET} Model for {SPICE}",
  journal=ieeetmtt, year=1990, volume="MTT-38", number=6, pages={822--824}}

(5) Trew's (N.C. State Univ.) Model:
--------------------------------------
@article{Golio85,
  author="J. M. Golio and J. R. Hauser and P. A. Blakey",
  title="A Large-Signal {GaAS MESFET} Model Implemented on {SPICE}",
  journal="IEEE Circuits and Devices Magazine",
  year=1985, pages={21--30} month="September"}

and recently,

@article{Khatibzadeh88,
  author="M. Khatibzadeh and R. J. Trew",
  title="A Large-Signal, Analytic Model for the {GaAs MESFET",
  journal=ieeetmtt, year=1988, volume="MTT-36", number=2, pages={231--238}}
@article{Trew90,
  author="R. T. Trew",
  title="{MESFET} Models for Microwave Computer-Aided Design",
  journal="Microwave Journal", year=1990, pages={115-130}, month="May"}
--------------------------------------
I'll add just two more. You could find a lot more in the references in
these papers...

(6) Larson's Model:
--------------------------------------
@article{Larson87,
  author="L. E. Larson",
  title="An Improved {GaAs MESFET} Equivalent Circuit Model for Analog\
    Integrated Circuit Application",
  journal=ieeejssc, year=1987, volume="SC-22", number=4, pages={567--574}
}

2. Hyun-Shur's Model:
--------------------------------------
@article{Hyun86,
  author="C. H. Hyun and M. S. shur and N. C. Cirillo, Jr.",
  title="Simulation and Design Analysis of {(AlGa)As/GaAs MODFET} Integrated\
    Circuit",
  journal=ieeetcad, year=1986, volume="CAD-5", number=2, pages={284--292}
}

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Jen-I pi@vlsi-cad.isi.edu :-)