[comp.lsi] Call For Discussion: Comp.lsi.CAT

veit@du9ds3.uni-duisburg.de (Holger Veit) (03/21/91)

CALL FOR DISCUSSION - please respond

NAME:
    comp.lsi.cat

STATUS:
    unmoderated

CHARTER:
    "A major problem, one which is growing in importance, is testing.
    Problems associated with testing of digital logic have been with
    us for as long as digital logic itself has existed." [Alexander
    Miczo, Digital Logic and Simulation, 1986]

    During the last 25 years, an immense number of techniques,
    methods and algorithms to guarantee the proper testing of
    electronic devices have been introduced. Testing is an important
    subject to many major international conferences (e.g. ITC, ETC,
    DAC, EDAC, ICCD, ICCAD, FTCS, ISCAS) and journals (e.g. JETTA,
    IEEE Trans. on CAD, IEEE Trans. on Comp.). Thus, testing is
    an area of highest relevance to many CAD researchers and
    professionals.

    This newsgroup is intended to cover all aspects of the testing of
    electronic circuits such as (but not restricted to)
      *  Testing of Digital and Analog Devices
      *  Automatic Test Pattern Generation
      *  Fault Modeling and Fault Simulation
      *  Design for Testability
      *  Scan Design and Built-in Self Test
      *  PCB-Test and Boundary Scan
      *  Design Verification

    Important topics are
      * Announcements (conferences, workshops, special issues)
      * Books on testing
      * Standards
      * Tools
      * Benchmarks
      * Questions and answers
      * Discussions concerning technical or algorithmic problems

WHY A NEW GROUP:
    The ever increasing number of publications on testing shows a
    vivid and growing interest in that subject. A newsgroup on
    testing will stimulate and accelerate the exchange of related
    information among interested network users. It makes it easier
    to recognize current trends in testing, especially
    for novices. We believe that there will be enough traffic in
    the new group to justify its creation.

SCHEDULE:

1. DISCUSSION
    The discussion period begins on monday, march 25.
    It ends on tuesday, april 23.
    (possibly continued by email)

2. VOTE
    If the discussion is successful, we will send the call for votes
    on monday, april 29. This posting will contain all necessary
    information how to vote. The rest of the procedure will follow
    the rules to create new groups (see news.announce.newusers for details).

Please respect that the follow-up of a CALL FOR DISUSSION is news.groups.
Send your opinions to this call - otherwise there will be no comp.lsi.cat.
All comments are welcome.

AUTHORS:

Nikolaus Gouders (gouders@du9ds3.uni-duisburg.de)
Holger Veit (veit@du9ds3.uni-duisburg.de)
University of Duisburg

--
|__|  /  University of Duisburg  | BITNET: veit%du9ds3.uni-duisburg.de@UNIDO
|  | /   Fac. of Electr. Eng.    | UUCP:   ...!uunet!unido!unidui!hl351ge
|  |/    Dept. f. Dataprocessing |

bhoughto@pima.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (03/22/91)

In article <veit.669557680@du9ds3> veit@du9ds3.uni-duisburg.de (Holger Veit) writes:
>NAME:
>    comp.lsi.cat

You never explained why "CAT" is the extension in the name of the group.

It would seem more appropriate to me that "ATE", for
"Automated Test Engineering", would be the most appropriate
extension, since the goal of all this vlsi test methodology
is automated test methods.

"ATE" is a widely-used acronym for this science.

So, how about "comp.lsi.ate"?

				--Blair
				  "Just another ex-Sentry-20
				   jock, wondering if FACTOR
				   ever got readable..."

veit@du9ds3.uni-duisburg.de (Holger Veit) (03/25/91)

In <3185@inews.intel.com> bhoughto@pima.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>In article <veit.669557680@du9ds3> veit@du9ds3.uni-duisburg.de (Holger Veit) writes:
>>NAME:
>>    comp.lsi.cat

>You never explained why "CAT" is the extension in the name of the group.

>It would seem more appropriate to me that "ATE", for
>"Automated Test Engineering", would be the most appropriate
>extension, since the goal of all this vlsi test methodology
>is automated test methods.

>"ATE" is a widely-used acronym for this science.

>So, how about "comp.lsi.ate"?

>				--Blair
>				  "Just another ex-Sentry-20
>				   jock, wondering if FACTOR
>				   ever got readable..."

Ok, this seems to be an omission of myself. CAT is 'computer aided testing'
and was chosen in correspondence to 'computer aided design' (comp.lsi.cad).
Actually, there are a large number of so-called CA techniques (CAE,CAD,CAM,
CAP,CASE etc.). In my knowledge, ATE is more used for E = EQUIPMENT, i.e.
the tester machine itself; and the main goal intended to be discussed in
this group is not only algorithms for automated testing, but more generally
all aspects including modelling, design-for-testability, standards ...)
But nevertheless:
We have to overthink your proposal, beneath others like
comp.lsi.testing, and I would like to hear the net's opinion.

Holger Veit

--
|  |   / Holger Veit             | INTERNET: veit@du9ds3.uni-duisburg.de
|__|  /  University of Duisburg  | BITNET: veit%du9ds3.uni-duisburg.de@UNIDO
|  | /   Fac. of Electr. Eng.    | UUCP:   ...!uunet!unido!unidui!hl351ge
|  |/    Dept. f. Dataprocessing |

ee00crr@unccvax.uncc.edu (Ramesh C.R) (03/25/91)

I am all for this newsgroup!! I thinks its high time that we recognize
 the impact of testing in the area of VLSI Design.  Testing has grown
well enough to be an entity in itself!!

 -Ramesh
--
$ All I ask is a chance to prove that|E-mail:ee00crr@unccvax.uncc.edu $
$ money will not make me happy.	     |	        This space            $

horne@sapphire.idbsu.edu (cs354- Broward Horne) (03/27/91)

In article <3185@inews.intel.com> bhoughto@pima.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:

>It would seem more appropriate to me that "ATE", for
>"Automated Test Engineering", would be the most appropriate
>extension, since the goal of all this vlsi test methodology
>is automated test methods.
>
>"ATE" is a widely-used acronym for this science.
>
>So, how about "comp.lsi.ate"?
>
>				--Blair
>				  "Just another ex-Sentry-20
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   Well, it would appear you are MORE than a bizarro-engineerhead, Blair!
   You take good care of my 953's. Hopefully you have some technical skill
   as well as the B.S. degree :)

   I agree.   ATE is the accepted industry standard. By all means, use

                ' comp.lsi.ate '

   See ya, Mr. ATE. I'm off to CAMland.

--
Broward Horne                 Coming this fall!  "Jack McVax$ is Back "
horne@sapphire.idbsu.edu      With his own Tokenring of 60 386's,

carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) (03/28/91)

> From: veit@du9ds3.uni-duisburg.de (Holger Veit)

> [call for discussion deleted]

> Please respect that the follow-up of a CALL FOR DISUSSION is news.groups.
                                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^
> Send your opinions to this call - otherwise there will be no comp.lsi.cat.
> All comments are welcome.

HEY FOLKS!  PAY ATTENTION TO THE POSTING, PLEASE!  Talking about it over here
doesn't count in the process.

pmayor@lynx.cat.syr.edu (Pankaj Mayor) (03/28/91)

In article <veit.669557680@du9ds3> veit@du9ds3.uni-duisburg.de (Holger Veit) writes:

>CALL FOR DISCUSSION - please respond
>
>NAME:
>    comp.lsi.cat

comp.lsi.ate is a better name for such a group.

-Pankaj

linden@duteca (J.Th.van der Linden) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Mar26.205904.1346@sapphire.idbsu.edu> horne@sapphire.idbsu.edu (cs354- Broward Horne) writes:
>   I agree.   ATE is the accepted industry standard. By all means, use
>                ' comp.lsi.ate '

I disagree, I perceive ATE as Automatic Test Equipment, as do many others.
By no means use "comp.lsi.ate". I tend to dislike the name "comp.lsi.cat",
and would prefer "comp.lsi.testing".  That combination really can't give
too much rise to incidental test-contributions of a different kind:-). BTW
I'd welcome the new specialized newsgroup.

van der Linden

ivanov@imag.imag.fr (eric ivanov) (04/05/91)

I'm for 'comp.lsi.test' or 'comp.lsi.testing' that I find less
confusing that 'comp.lsi.cat' or 'comp.lsi.ate' .
--
eric ivanov@imag.fr  "-Fishing ? -Not today."

mcvey@mprgate.mpr.ca (Iain McVey) (04/09/91)

This newsgroup really does not have that many postings.  Is it really
necessary to startup another newsgroup?

Testing issues have as much a home here as anything else, IMHO.

Just my $0.02 worth,

Iain McVey
(iain@ucs.sfu.ca or mcvey@mprgate.mpr.ca)