[comp.arch] I/O benchmarks

park@princeton.UUCP (Arvin Park) (11/17/86)

     I am assembling a collection of benchmarks to measure I/O system
performance.  This work has not progessed past the stage of determining
the appropriate set of metrics that should be used to measure I/O performance.

     I welcome any contributions, suggestions, and words of wisdom or
code if you have it.

rdm@hoptoad.uucp (Rich Morin) (11/18/86)

In article <2657@princeton.UUCP>, park@princeton.UUCP (Arvin Park) writes:

>      I am assembling a collection of benchmarks to measure I/O system
> performance.  ...  I welcome any contributions, suggestions, and words
> of wisdom or code if you have it.

Steve Wallach (of Convex) was interviewed in the November, 1985 issue of
UNIX Review.  He told the following, possibly relevant, story:

	... With all this physical memory {>100 MB}, we can make the
	disk cache as big as we like, so whenever we run up against
	I/O benchmarks, we just define a disk cache large enough to
	keep us from having to go out to disk.  As a result, our
	machines have screamed through benchmarks.  Some people cry,
	"Foul!  That's not a fair benchmark because I can't do that
	on my VAX" -- to which, of course, we respond, "Right".  Then
	we smile and don't say anything more.
--
Richard Morin, proprietor	{hoptoad,leadsv,lll-lcc}!cfcl!rdm
Canta Forda Computer Lab.	+1 415 994 6860