[comp.arch] what's a word

> A word is the 'natural' unit of operations on a machine.
> (Which means that 32 bits on a vax should really be called a word, not
> a longword.)

The only reason it's called a longword is because of all the semi-subliminal
it's-really-just-a-big-pdp11-so-don't-worry-about-incompatibility marketing
horseshit that surrounded the vax in its early days.  Remember when a 780's
official designation was a "VAX-11/780"?

(Well, to be honest, there may be another reason:  it may be a historical
survival from the early vax development days, at which time I suspect the
vax was going to be much more of a stretched 11 than a new machine.  Note
that "VAX" stands for Virtual Address Extended.  Extended what?  Extended
pdp11.)
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

campbell@sauron.UUCP (Mark Campbell) (12/19/86)

In article <7426@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> A word is the 'natural' unit of operations on a machine.
>> (Which means that 32 bits on a vax should really be called a word, not
>> a longword.)
>
>The only reason it's called a longword is because of all the semi-subliminal
>it's-really-just-a-big-pdp11-so-don't-worry-about-incompatibility marketing
>horseshit that surrounded the vax in its early days.  Remember when a 780's
>official designation was a "VAX-11/780"?
>--
>				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
>				{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

[For what it's worth...]
A DEC field representitive in the late 70's told me that the reason that the
VAX word was 16 bits was that the Government classified machines by word
size when purchasing -- thus the VAX would have competed with a higher
class of machines in contracts.
--
						Mark Campbell
						{}!ncsu!ncrcae!sauron!campbell

spain@alliant.UUCP (Dave Spain) (12/22/86)

In article <7426@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Remember when a 780's official designation was a "VAX-11/780"?

I'm not sure this ever changed. There (believe it or not) is a good
deal of logic behind this designation and I don't just mean in the
philosophical sense. All VAX processors that I was familar with that used
the "-11/" nmemonic offered some form of hardware assisted compatibility-mode,
typically at the instruction set level.

It wasn't until after a descision was made to offer PDP-11 compatibility
as a software option was the "-11/" convention dropped.