[comp.arch] Architecture upgrade

amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (12/21/86)

In article <7426@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
[under the original Subject Re: what's a word]
>The only reason it's called a longword is because of all the semi-subliminal
>it's-really-just-a-big-pdp11-so-don't-worry-about-incompatibility marketing
>horseshit that surrounded the vax in its early days.  Remember when a 780's
>official designation was a "VAX-11/780"?

Actually, DEC had made a brilliant (may be unintentional) upgrade,
changing architecture while keeping the customers, doing it both radically
and gradually at the same time. There are very few cases (that I know of)
in which an architecture upgrade had managed to keep all the good parts
and leave out all the bad parts - the hardest part is convincing the users
that it won't hurt; providing 'compatibility mode' is an excellent cushion,
and, unlike other vendors' upgrades, you dont need to know about it
if you dont use it.

--
	Amos Shapir
National Semiconductor (Israel)

bjorn@alberta.UUCP (Bjorn R. Bjornsson) (12/23/86)

In article <653@instable.UUCP>, amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
> In article <7426@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
> >Remember when a 780's
> >official designation was a "VAX-11/780"?
>
> Actually, DEC had made a brilliant (may be unintentional) upgrade,

It could have been brilliant, but was greatly marred by
flaws like the following:

	RTI and RTT ignore the mode bits in the PSW image
	on the stack, and set the mode to user without
	trapping.

If RTI / RTT had trapped mode changes, or simply been left
unimplemented, you could have written or ported real PDP-11
operating systems to run on the VAX.
As it turned out, the AME (pseudo RSX-11M on a VAX), was
useless except for trivial RSX applications, this because
they left out socalled PLAS directives.  What it did do
was allow DEC to push the VAX through the door without any
software.  My suspicion has always been that DEC included
compatibility mode in the early VAXen for this reason and
this reason only.  After the fashion of computer manufacturers,
you then proceed advertise it as a feature.  When you take
it away, you can again advertise that as a feature, this
time saying it's not taking up any resources, and users
don't have to pay for something they don't need or want.

Remember VMS versions 1 through 2.  Almost utilities and compilers
ran in compatibility mode.  Yeah, DCL translated COPY commands
to RSX PIP invocations, ditto for RENAME, DELETE, ad nauseum.
The Fortran compiler was a modestly hacked version of PDP-11
Fortran-IV-Plus, and on and on and on.  After version 2, more
and more things started showing up in native mode.  Until
finally DEC was in a position to release VAXen without a PDP-11
mode, which is basically when they turfed it.

It's easy to imagine that DEC would have been at least a year
later in introducing the VAX without compatibility mode.  Makes
you wonder what the world would look like today, if that had
been the case.

		Don't ascribe to brilliance, that which
		can be explained by simple expediency,

			Bjorn R. Bjornsson
			alberta!bjorn

In article <166@pembina.alberta.UUCP>, I wrote:
> If RTI / RTT had trapped mode changes, or simply been left
> unimplemented, you could have written or ported real PDP-11
> operating systems to run on the VAX.

Come to think of it, this was probably intentional, just so
that PDP-11 operating systems could not be ported to the
VAX.  Brilliant!

		Bjorn R. Bjornsson
		alberta!bjorn

amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (12/24/86)

In article <166@pembina.alberta.UUCP> bjorn@alberta.UUCP (Bjorn R. Bjornsson) writes:
>It's easy to imagine that DEC would have been at least a year
>later in introducing the VAX without compatibility mode.  Makes
>you wonder what the world would look like today, if that had
>been the case.

This is *exactly* what I meant by 'brilliance'! There were many projects
that were so advanced they came out years too late because it took too
long to write the software for them. The brilliant idea was: 'let's not wait
for native VAX software, PDP11 software should be just fine for the
introduction phase'. It *is* a success, and you can't argue with that.
(Disclaimer: I do not, and never did, work for DEC).
--

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (12/28/86)

amos%nsta@nsc (Amos Shapir) writes:
>The brilliant idea was: 'let's not wait
>for native VAX software, PDP11 software should be just fine for the
>introduction phase'.

Let's not forget that the early emergence of the VAX line was also
very good for those of us that didn't (and still don't) care about
DEC-supplied software.  I doubt that DEC saw this as an advantage,
but they pretty much ignored UNIX* in those days anyway.

* In "those days", UNIX was a noun, not an adjective.

kary@hplsdla.HP.COM (Dan Kary) (12/30/86)

> >It's easy to imagine that DEC would have been at least a year
> >later in introducing the VAX without compatibility mode.  Makes
> >you wonder what the world would look like today, if that had
> >been the case.

> This is *exactly* what I meant by 'brilliance'! There were many projects
> that were so advanced they came out years too late because it took too
> long to write the software for them.

The Apple Macintosh is a good example.  It was two years late.  If their
delivery had been more timely MS-DOS and intel processors might be as
popular as they deserve to be.

Dan Kary