[comp.arch] Unix kernel locality of reference

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (01/12/87)

Have any studies been done on how the kernel's locality of reference
compares to that of a typical application such as the compiler or
nroff? I am interested in cache design issues. How big a cache?  How
associative? What kind of hit rates? How big a line size?  How much
time is spent in reload? What is the total running time? Writeback
policies? Most of these are general cache design issues but I am
especially interested in whether the kernel acts significantly
differently than the average program the user might write and what
parameters might be changed to allow for differences.

--
 My left foot is digital, my right foot is analog.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,hplabs,allegra}!amdcad!phil
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (01/16/87)

The January 1987 (vol 38 #1) issue of the H-P Journal contains an
article on the HP3000 series 70 cache, which goes into great detail on
how they instrumented the older models to determine what cache
parameters to change in the new model.   One quote from the article,
and a reference:

"...it has been shown that operating systems have rather poor locality
compared to user programs."  They don't give a derivation for this finding.

The reference:
A. J. Smith, "Cache Evaluation and the Impact of Workload Choice",
Reprot UCB/CSD85/229, March 1985, Proceedings of the 12th International
Symposium on Computer Architectures, June 1985, pp 64-75.

To subscribe to the HP Journal, send your request to:  HP Journal, 3200
Hillview Ave, Palo Alto CA  94304 USA.  "Allow 60 days."  They'd probably
just send this issue if you asked.  The journal seems to have an assortment of
technical articles on their computers (especially the RISC machines), software,
and instruments, each about 1/3.  It's free and I find it worth reading.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu@ingres.berkeley.edu
/* No comment */

mash@winchester.UUCP (John Mashey) (01/19/87)

In article <1666@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>The January 1987 (vol 38 #1) issue of the H-P Journal contains an
>article on the HP3000 series 70 cache, which goes into great detail on
>how they instrumented the older models to determine what cache
>parameters to change in the new model.   One quote from the article,
>and a reference:
>"...it has been shown that operating systems have rather poor locality
>compared to user programs."  They don't give a derivation for this finding.
>The reference:
>A. J. Smith, "Cache Evaluation and the Impact of Workload Choice",...

Another good reference is:
	Douglas W. Clarke and Joel S. Emer, " Performance of the VAX 11/780
Translation Buffer: Simulation and Measurement", ACM Trans. on Computer
Systems 3(1), pp31-62 (Feb 1985).

Of course, this is about locality in the TLB, which is different from that
of cache locality.  However, it does give good numbers and analysis.
[Kernels are worse in both cases, as it happens.]
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash, DDD:  	408-720-1700, x253

josh@polaris.UUCP (01/22/87)

In article <14295@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>Have any studies been done on how the kernel's locality of reference
>compares to that of a typical application such as the compiler or
>nroff? I am interested in cache design issues. How big a cache? ...

You might try looking at "Cache Memory Performance in a Unix
Environment" by Cedel Alexander, William Keshlear, Furrokh Cooper
and Faye Briggs, Computer Architecture News, Volume 14, Number 3,
June 1986, pp. 41-70.  They have lots of numbers and graphs and
the traces they use to drive the cache models are obtained from
a system running Genix and include the kernel, unlike most such
studies.  The traces are obtained by modifying the hardware of
a National 32016 based box.
--

	Josh Knight, IBM T.J. Watson Research
 josh@ibm.com, josh@yktvmh.bitnet,  ...!philabs!polaris!josh