[comp.arch] varargs

jon@oddhack.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <7803@decwrl.DEC.COM> brandenberg@star.dec.com (bleakness...desolation...plastic forks...) writes:

>[ From sun!gorodish!guy ]
>>No program that relies on that is correct C, so no compiler is
>>obliged to make them work.  In fact, the sooner such programs *are*
>>prevented, the better off we'll all be.
>
>Oh?  If this is aberrant coding, you might want to look at your
>varargs.h file whose operation relies on these assumptions; and this is
>in the ANSI proposal.

	The whole point of varargs is that it is a portable INTERFACE with
an unportable IMPLEMENTATION. What 'your varargs.h file' says is only true
for the machine and OS it's written for (and if you don't believe me, take
a look at the respective VMS and VAX BSD <varargs.h>, which are quite different
despite being for the same CPU).

    -- Jon Leech (jon@csvax.caltech.edu || ...seismo!cit-vax!jon)
    Caltech Computer Science Graphics Group
    __@/