[comp.arch] compatibility mode in DG Eclipses

gnu@hoptoad.UUCP (01/31/87)

In article <900@dg_rtp.UUCP>, meissner@dg_rtp.UUCP (Michael Meissner) writes:
>                                                 ...while the system calls
> between AOS and AOS/VS are compatible, but unfortuneately, the system call
> numbers are different.  The upshot of this is that most users have to
> relink their programs (and if they use direct system calls, recompile)
> to move them from AOS to AOS/VS.  Many programs (including the command
> line interpreter) that run on AOS/VS are still 16-bit, though the percentage
> is dropping.

I worked for DG while they were designing and bringing up the 32-bit machine.
(By the way, Steve Wallach, convex!wallach, designed the machine architecture.)

I ran across my first production MV/8000 at Berkeley some time after I left DG.
I loaded in my old 16-bit programs and tried to run them under the 32-bit OS.
They failed miserably.

Now Edson DeCastro, the president and founder of DG, had *INSISTED*
that the 32-bit machine run old binaries without a mode bit.  He had
canceled the two previous 32-bit-machine projects because they did not
do it this way.  As told in "The Soul of a New Machine", Steve went to
him and said "what do we have to do so you won't cancel this one" and
he said "no mode bit".  So they wedged the instruction set into the
holes in the old one, modulo some fiddling in the interrupt handlers --
the microcode actually fetched the first instruction of the interrupt
routine to see whether to handle the interrupt the "old" way or the
"new" way, depending whether it was an "old" or "new" instruction!
Steve got the hardware compatability right, but the software screwed it up.

What blew up my 16-bit programs was that the OS group had renumbered
the system calls.  I called back to Westboro and talked to Claude Finn,
who managed the OS group.  He said, "Yeah, I renumbered them, it made
the tables smaller."

		* I * D * I * O * T * ! * ! * ! *

Now, I like Claude but he sure blew binary compatability for an utterly
trivial reason.  He probably saved about 10 or 20 bytes!  Half the
system calls in the 16-bit machine had the high-order bit on, because
they were handled by a "ghost" process due to 64K address space
limits.  The other half were handled directly by the kernel.  So there
were two tables and the code looked at the high order bit to figure
which one to use.  Claude renumbered all the ghost calls to be sequential
with the kernel calls, so he wouldn't have to test the high bit and use
two tables any more.

What blew me away was that, as a good programmer and as the manager
of an operating system group, he didn't see that he had done any harm.

Of course, DG has never fixed this mistake, either, though Claude has
moved on.  (They could add back the second table and support the old
ghost call numbers with the same trivial effort it took to remove
them.)  By now nobody expects them to -- except me.  But I'm not a DG
customer.  I wonder how many customer-years of time were burned to save
those 20 bytes, and how many of them knew why?

--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu@ingres.berkeley.edu
Love your country but never trust its government.