[comp.arch] Where did the name "Dhrystone" come from?

drw@cullvax.UUCP (02/09/87)

I can't figure out any plausable explanation.

Dale
--
Dale Worley		Cullinet Software
UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!cullvax!drw

eugene@pioneer.UUCP (02/09/87)

"Ouch! I just came into complain." "This is getting hit on the head lessons."

Dhrystone is simply a weak pun on Whetstone just as
Unix is a weak pun on Multics. Where did Whetstone come from?
Probably from the stone used to sharpen knives.  Ask Wichmann.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {hplabs,hao,nike,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!aurora!eugene

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (02/11/87)

In article <784@cullvax.UUCP>, drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) writes:
> I can't figure out any plausable explanation.
>
> Dale

The "Whetstone" benchmark tests, primarily, floating-point operations.
What would you call something that does the opposite (fixed pt only) ?
What else?

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

steves@ncr-sd.UUCP (02/12/87)

In article <299@ames.UUCP> eugene@pioneer.UUCP (Eugene Miya N.) writes:

>Dhrystone is simply a weak pun on Whetstone just as
>Where did Whetstone come from?

It was developed in a lab in Whetstone, England.

rmb@omepd.UUCP (02/13/87)

In article <299@ames.UUCP> eugene@pioneer.UUCP (Eugene Miya N.) writes:

>Dhrystone is simply a weak pun on Whetstone just as
>Unix is a weak pun on Multics. Where did Whetstone come from?
>Probably from the stone used to sharpen knives.  Ask Wichmann.

Whetstone is a place in Leicestershire, England.  In the 60's it was the
location of a development facility of English Electric Co. (a precursor of the
present ICL), who had developed a machine called the KDF9.  There were two
different Algol-60 compilers for the KDF9 - a "production" compiler, developed
at the Kidsgrove facility near Manchester (the "K" in KDF9), and a development
compiler developed at Whetstone.  Not surprisingly, they were known as the
Kidsgrove and Whetstone Algol compilers.

The Whetstone compiler actually produced code for a virtual target machine,
which was then interpreted.  This made for easier debugging, and also made it
possible to collect dynamic frequency statistics on instructions, data types,
etc.  Brian Wichmann did just this, and produced a synthetic benchmark which
approximated the characteristics of the observed programs - hence, the
"Whetstone" benchmark.  In was later converted from Algol-60 to Fortran, and
the rest is history.

Bob Bentley

Intel Corp. - Hillsboro, Oregon
.. ihnp4!verdix!inteloa!rmb

"personally my ambition is to get my time as a cockroach shortened for good
behaviour and be promoted to a revenue officer it is not much of a step up but
i am humble"

sinyaw@sinyaw.UUCP (02/16/87)

In article <1333@ncr-sd.UUCP> steves@ncr-sd.UUCP (0000-Steve Schlesinger) writes:

>In article <299@ames.UUCP> eugene@pioneer.UUCP (Eugene Miya N.) writes:
>>
>>Dhrystone is simply a weak pun on Whetstone just as
>>Where did Whetstone come from?
>
>It was developed in a lab in Whetstone, England.

In "Transactions of ACM", October 1987, you can find the original paper of
"Dhrystone: A Synthetic Systems Programming Benchmark" by Reinhold
Weicker.  It is worth reading.

crowl@rochester.UUCP (02/18/87)

In article <13409@sun.uucp> sinyaw@sun.UUCP (Sin-Yaw Wang) writes:
>In "Transactions of ACM", October 1987, you can find the original paper of
>"Dhrystone: A Synthetic Systems Programming Benchmark" by Reinhold
>Weicker.  It is worth reading.

Since I've never heard of the "Transactions of the ACM" and October 1987 is
not yet here, I think you meant:

Reinhold P. Weicker
"Dhrystone: A Synthetic Systems Programming Benchmark"
Communications of the ACM, volume 27, number 10, pages 1013-1030
October 1984
--
  Lawrence Crowl		716-275-5766	University of Rochester
			crowl@rochester.arpa	Computer Science Department