[comp.arch] MIPS to offer COBOL

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (01/20/87)

In the Jan 19, 1987 San Jose Mercury News, MIPS Computer Systems is
advertising for a COBOL compiler engineer. Oh well, I guess it has to
happen even to the best of us.

Don't forget to get some CICS types too, while you're at it.

--
 Social security is welfare for the elderly.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,hplabs,allegra}!amdcad!phil
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

petel@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Pete Lancashire) (01/21/87)

In article <14392@amdcad.UUCP>, phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
> In the Jan 19, 1987 San Jose Mercury News, MIPS Computer Systems is
> advertising for a COBOL compiler engineer. Oh well, I guess it has to
> happen even to the best of us.
>
> Don't forget to get some CICS types too, while you're at it.
>
> --
>  Social security is welfare for the elderly.
>
>  Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
>  UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,hplabs,allegra}!amdcad!phil
>  ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

We had a talk by MIPS, they were very proud of their COBOL, I don't blame
them. They used *modern* compiler construction instead of rehashing an
oldie.

I'm sitting in front of my SUN trying to take data off an IBM EBCDIC tape
getting the data, sorting it, etc. Wish I had a good, fast COBOL right now.

Pete Lancashire  petel@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
Tektronix, Inc.

In article <14392@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In the Jan 19, 1987 San Jose Mercury News, MIPS Computer Systems is
>advertising for a COBOL compiler engineer. Oh well, I guess it has to
>happen even to the best of us.

Care to suggest a better procedural language for "data processing" applications
programming?  For all it's faults COBOL is pretty effective for what it was
intended for...  C is nice, but pictures rival printf's when formating print
lines and other boring things.

>Don't forget to get some CICS types too, while you're at it.

Don't laugh at it unless you can hack it too...  Then laugh with the rest
of us fools who have done IBM work and survived.

-----
No please, please gimme back my unix guru badge - I promise never  not to say
dirty words like IBM, COBOL, DP, DASDI, CHANNEL PROGRAM, IOCS, VIRTUAL MEMORY..

wallach@convex.UUCP (01/23/87)

well i guess everyone has their price.

aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP (01/24/87)

>/* Written  1:18 am  Jan 22, 1987 by grr@cbmvax.UUCP in ccvaxa:comp.arch */
>In article <14392@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>>In the Jan 19, 1987 San Jose Mercury News, MIPS Computer Systems is
>>advertising for a COBOL compiler engineer. Oh well, I guess it has to
>>happen even to the best of us.

>Care to suggest a better procedural language for "data processing"
>applications programming?

How about PL/1?

>For all it's faults COBOL is pretty effective for what it was
>intended for...  C is nice, but pictures rival printf's when
>formating print lines and other boring things.

Talking about which - has anybody got a picture formatting package
for C? Pictures are damned nice at times. It could probably be
wired into printf formats like this:

    printf("%P[$$$,$$$,$$$,$$9.99]",number);

Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.    USEnet:  ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!aglew
1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801    ARPAnet: aglew@gswd-vms.arpa

tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (01/25/87)

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>C is nice, but pictures rival printf's when formating print
>lines and other boring things.

For my usual rates, I'll code you a picture(3) library that will look
and feel like the real thing, interface to your favorite 4GL, and run
at least as fast on a Unix-based 68000 as the COBOL code on an IBM
machine costing 10 times as much to buy, operate, and waste programmer
time on.  Or has somebody already done this?

					-- jon
--
Jon Krueger   Department of Necessary Evil   University of Rochester
uucp: {seismo, allegra, decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!tuba   BITNET: TUBA@UORDBV

dibble@rochester.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <984@ur-tut.UUCP>, tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) writes:
> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> >C is nice, but pictures rival printf's when formating print
> >lines and other boring things.
>
> For my usual rates, I'll code you a picture(3) library that will look
> and feel like the real thing, interface to your favorite 4GL, and run
> at least as fast on a Unix-based 68000 as the COBOL code on an IBM
> machine costing 10 times as much to buy, operate, and waste programmer
> time on.  Or has somebody already done this?

That would be very impressive!  IBM 370 machines have hardware assists for
formatting numeric output and more powerful instructions than
the 68000 for handling bcd (they call it packed) numbers.

Is the trick here that you are comparing the absolute top-of-the-line
68000 box to the bottom of the IBM mainframe line?  Maybe you have one
of the lobotomized distributed computers in mind?

A version of printf could accept pictures and generate the right output,
but it wouldn't get you the right "look and feel," at least not from
the programmer's viewpoint.

The COBOL move corresponding command is an important part of the "feel"
of PIC output.  I used to use it to compile an output line from fields
out of several records.  I would think it would be difficult to add
move corresponding to a 4GL with a library.

The last thing I want on my Unix machine is a library that supports
COBOL-style PIC format conversion, but I'd love to know how you'd get the
function and the speed.  Especially the speed.

Peter Dibble

mash@mips.UUCP (01/26/87)

Gee whiz!! It's amazing what happens when you go away for a week; truly
berserk outbreaks on the net [in comp.arch, of all places].  For some
reason my colleague Larry Weber [who runs the languages effort here, i.e.,
group who did all that zingy compiler technology] has chosen not to comment
on this.  However, I'm in a touchy mood [having been required to play
airline-guessing games to escape the snow in Washington], hence:

1. The MIPS R2000 wasn't particularly built to run COBOL fast.
   We didn't even take the small steps that the HP-Spectrum did to help it.
   I can't think of a single thing that we've sacrificed in favor of
   good COBOL-ness. REALLY, REALLY, WE'RE INNOCENT OF EXPECTING THAT:
2. Some of our customers/prospects discovered [to our astonishment, in some
   cases inventing amazing uses of some of our instructions] that the R2000
   actually looked like a fine COBOL engine (!!??!!)  This mostly comes from
   fast subroutine calls, some sneaky code-generation, and the effects you
   get from serious optimizing compiler technology, and the fact [documented
   by the Spectrum folks] that COBOL environments are mostly systems-type code
   that don't really spend much time doing decimal operations.
3. I know this may be astonishing out there in UNIX-land, but much of the
   world out there really uses COBOL, and it's often portable enough to move
   to new architectures.  When a whole bunch of large customers tell you that
   you need COBOL, you at least listen to them.  Sometimes they say things like
   "we really like your C, FORTRAN, PASCAL, etc, but we really need one
   architecture to cover both technical and commercial markets, so when will
   COBOL be available?" [You have noticed thjat DEC supports COBOL?]
4. Consider the current state of microprocessor languauges, as compared to
   minicomputer/mainframe compilers:
	a) The micro vendors have [often/sometimes] not invested upfront in
	high-quality optimizing compilers that use common components,
	compatible runtimes [where possible], etc.  The result is often
	a large gaggle of different compilers, runtimes, etc, in quality
	ranging from excellent to awful, which are supplied by combinations
	of microprocessor vendors, compiler vendors, and systems vendors.
	b) There are some fine compiler vendors out there; nevertheless,
	the confusion factor doesn't particularly help systems integrators
	or end users, who just want to g et a job done with a minimum of fuss.
5. Personally, I don't ever expect to write COBOL code, but I sure think it's
   important to have a good compiler for it that meshes well with our systems,
   and I'd much rather have Larry's [fine] compiler group doing it than to have
   our customers having to build complex 3rd-party deals to get what they
   need.  I'd much rather have 1 good COBOL system that people can count on.
   Thus, these comments are not particularly in favor of COBOL per se, but
   simply recognition of reality: any general-purpose computer vendor will
   need COBOL sooner or later, so it might as well be good.

Well, enough specific comments.  Let me observe that one of UNIX's strengths
has been the following combination:
	a) Elegant, insightful advances that looked beyond the state of the art.
	b) Willingness of people to adapt it as needed, even to environments
	otherwise alien, un-purist, or backward.
	c) Reduction of the "gulp factor", i.e., people avoid new technologies
	that make them discard everything they have.  They'd much rather move
	what they have, then convert it to newer technology over time.
	UNIX has snuck into a lot of environments this way, like when we helped
	UNIX let people edit COBOL and PL/I code and send it to IBM systems
	years ago [unpure! but it helped people get their work done, and many
	of the next round of projects was UNIX-based...]
Well, enough.....  and shame on you, Steve W: how can you give us a hard time
when you guys have put so much effort into doing well by that other nasty old
language, FORTRAN? :-) As you say, everyone has their price. :-)
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash, DDD:  	408-720-1700, x253

tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (01/27/87)

dibble@rochester.ARPA (Peter C. Dibble) replies:
>That would be very impressive!  IBM 370 machines have hardware assists for
>formatting numeric output and more powerful instructions than
>the 68000 for handling bcd (they call it packed) numbers.

I write:
Yes, as do VAX-11/750's.  Turns out some execute faster in software
emulation on Microvax II's.  RISC proponents like to offer similar
examples of their load-store boxes outperforming CISCs on tasks
microcoded into the CISC instruction set.

>Is the trick here that you are comparing the absolute top-of-the-line
>68000 box to the bottom of the IBM mainframe line?

Well...I'm depending heavily on the true cost of IBM mainframe cycles.
If IBM were to cut prices on its hardware and software, I couldn't
quite do it.  But as costs stand now, I think I can buy a stripped
M68000-based Unix box for $5K to $15K.  Let's assume it will break
irreparably and its company go out of business in 1 year, after the
fashion of those nasty little start-ups.  You may therefore take $50K
to $150K and start shopping IBM.  Include costs of monthly rental of
operating system and tools.  Identify the target hardware with these
constraints, drag out your COBOL code, time its execution, and I'll
take that as a fair number to meet or beat.

>Maybe you have one of the lobotomized distributed computers in mind?

Not sure what's meant here.

>A version of printf could accept pictures and generate the right output,
>but it wouldn't get you the right "look and feel," at least not from
>the programmer's viewpoint.
>
>The COBOL move corresponding command is an important part of the "feel"
>of PIC output.  I used to use it to compile an output line from fields
>out of several records.  I would think it would be difficult to add
>move corresponding to a 4GL with a library.

You may have me here.  Tell you what.  Supposing I ever code a
picture(3), I'll happily submit both environments to the business
oriented programmer, and accept her verdict on whether it feels the
same to her.

>The last thing I want on my Unix machine is a library that supports
>COBOL-style PIC format conversion, but I'd love to know how you'd get
>the function and the speed.  Especially the speed.

Mainly by constraining the IBM side to one costing ONLY ten times as
much.  In a pinch, I'd ask, reasonably I think, that the timing test
be done on execution of a real COBOL program, not a 370 assembler code
executing the IBM instructions directly.

--
Jon Krueger   Department of Necessary Evil   University of Rochester
uucp: {seismo, allegra, decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!tuba   BITNET: TUBA@UORDBV

phil@amdcad.UUCP (01/27/87)

Well, I see no one disputes my method (newspaper job openings) of
finding out what various vendors are planning...

--
 Paul Slansky: Those who believe that President Reagan had to have known about
 secret fund diversions to the Contras are overlooking Reagan's hard-won

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (01/28/87)

From: phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai)
>Well, I see no one disputes my method (newspaper job openings) of
>finding out what various vendors are planning...

A few years ago I used to go thru the Sunday Boston Globe help
wanted ads and count up the various flavors of programming jobs
advertised as some indicator of something (mostly, the growth of
UNIX as "real".) I would hang the results on my office door.

The CIA or NSA or some such has been known to analyze for-sale ads in
Russian newspapers to infer various things, especially in smaller
towns (like the rate of movement in and out of certain classes of
people.)

It's a fine way to infer things, I've done it on net.jobs and
discovered things. We all noticed here a year ago or so when Wang
started advertising for UNIX systems people...

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) (02/18/87)

In article <28200006@ccvaxa> aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:
>Talking about which - has anybody got a picture formatting package
>for C? Pictures are damned nice at times. It could probably be
>wired into printf formats like this:
>
>    printf("%P[$$$,$$$,$$$,$$9.99]",number);
>
>Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.    USEnet:  ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!aglew
>1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801    ARPAnet: aglew@gswd-vms.arpa

The problem here is that COBOL pictures are designed to be nice to
look at but are not the best representation for controlling run-time
conversion. The best way might be a preprocessor, which would convert
from:

	printf( "total: %p\n", PIC($$$,$$$,$$$,$$9.99), number );

to:

static struct { char *pic_background; short pic_dp,pic_flags } _pics[]={
{ "000           ", 2, _PIC_LEFT_DOLLAR | _PIC_COMMAS },
};
	printf( "total: %p\n",&_pics[6], number );

...or something like that.
The intended meaning of all this is left as an exercise  :-)

Greg Smith     University of Toronto      UUCP: ..utzoo!utcsri!greg
Have vAX, will hack...