[comp.arch] 01/31/87 Dhrystone Results and Sour

aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP (02/20/87)

>Another "problem" with Dhrystone which is also present in Dhampstone
>is that since they are single file programs they are subject to
>certain optimizations possible for machines with large numbers
>of registers such as allocating blocks of registers to procedures,
>and a different block of registers to the procedure it calls.
>
>The Stanford MIPS guys are looking at this. But this technique
>doesn't work too well on large real programs which either recurse
>or are multiple program files compiled separately and then
>linked together.
>
>Jan Stubbs    ....sdcsvax!ncr-sd!stubbs

Unless registers are actually only bound at link time.
NOPping out the register save instructions would be trivial,
and not cost too much.

Besides, this sounds a lot like old FORTRAN, with fixed parameter areas
in memory. When memory was too small, overlay.

I read a paper that seemed to imply that Cray was attempting something
similar. Has anything more come of this?

Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.    USEnet:  ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!aglew
1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801    ARPAnet: aglew@gswd-vms.arpa

bcase@amdcad.UUCP (02/23/87)

In article <28200008@ccvaxa> aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:
>Unless registers are actually only bound at link time.
>NOPping out the register save instructions would be trivial,
>and not cost too much.
>I read a paper that seemed to imply that Cray was attempting something
>similar. Has anything more come of this?
>
>Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.    USEnet:  ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!aglew
>1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801    ARPAnet: aglew@gswd-vms.arpa

Re:  Binding/allocating registers at link time.  See a *very* good paper
by Wall in the Summer SIGPLAN conference on Compiler Construction.  This
paper describes a method to get the performance benefit of a stack-cache
style register file (e.g. Berekely register windows) from a fixed set
of registers (e.g. almost anything else).  This work was done for the DEC
Titan RISC machine with excellent results (but hey, the machine has 64
registers).

    bcase
---------
Keep watching this space!