[comp.arch] A bit more on Hypercubes

eugene@pioneer.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <1103@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> miner@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Richard Miner) writes:
>The Alliant (a supermini parallel/vector machine made in MA) has a decent
>parallelizing FORTRAN compiler, and they are working on a C.

Yes, I am using one (an FX/8) right now.  They are still shaking a few
bugs out of the compiler, and the scalar unit is weak.  I'm using a
whole bunch of other machines and have seen a few I am not supposed to
talk about (I was told today, since I just happened to walk into one).

There was a good paper presented at COMPCON today:

%A Marta Kallstrom
%Z Oregon Graduate Center
%A Shreekant S. Thakkar
%T Experience with Three Parallel Programming Systems
%J COMPCON, Digest if Papers
%I IEEE
%D February 1987
%P 344-349
%K Intel iPSC, Occam, Transputer, C, Sequent Balance, dynix,
matrix multiplication, dinning philosophers problem, message passing,
load balancing, debugging,

This talk came down especially hard on hypercube message passing systems
for their difficulty in programming.  There were other papers, but
general quality of the conference is lower than average (few really good
ideas).

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {hplabs,hao,nike,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!aurora!eugene