[comp.arch] Brooks

brunner@sri-spam.istc.sri.com (Thomas Eric Brunner) (03/06/87)

In article <522@ames.UUCP> eugene@pioneer.UUCP (Eugene Miya N.) writes:
>In article <101200003@datacube> dje@datacube.UUCP writes:
>>
>><some wrong stuff>
>>
>The author is Fred Brooks, Jr., the chair at North Carolina, publisher:
chair of what eugene?

>YOUR "author's solution" is wrong.  He recognized we can't do things
>right the first time.  Unix was not done completely right the first
>time.  Brooks said many things, but not this.  He said among other
>things:
>	Prepare to throw one away
>and
>	Adding manpower to a late project will make it later.
>
>I think he was also one of the first to coin the word "prototype" with
>respect to software.  I suggest your buy the book.  It's inexpensive,
>and sadly, one of the better works of the field (we have not learned
>much since then).

Sigh, Eric chose <insert very high profile person here> for the next
usenix speaker, rightly seeing that he (Xxxx) would be broadly appealing,
Fred was the other choice. My folks worked as system hacks, on the 67
amongst other things - and the kitchen table was always pinned to the
floor by dumps. Some things are by their nature very difficult and hard
to "get right the first time". Anyone for a game of tennis or a life at
engineering?

--
how about a great big spidery "X"?

news@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Usenet netnews) (03/06/87)

From: jon@oddhack.Caltech.Edu (Jon Leech)

In article <9920@sri-spam.istc.sri.com> brunner@sri-spam.UUCP (Thomas Eric Brunner) writes:
>>The author is Fred Brooks, Jr., the chair at North Carolina, publisher:
>chair of what eugene?

	Creator and chairman of the UNC-Chapel Hill CS department from
1964-1984, according to a pamphlet they just sent me. The current chairman
appears to be Jay Nievergelt.

    -- Jon Leech (jon@csvax.caltech.edu || ...seismo!cit-vax!jon)
    Caltech Computer Science Graphics Group
    __@/