[comp.arch] The serial bottleneck

reid@sask.UUCP (03/23/87)

In article <505@cpocd2.UUCP>, howard@cpocd2.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) writes:
> We have an existence proof that the serial bottleneck can be made to go
> away.  It's called the human brain.  So there's still hope!
> 	Howard A. Landman
> 	...!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!howard

If you check out some of Hillis' Connection Machine references (like the
ones in the recent (Jan. 87, I think) CACM), he points out that there are
problems which are provably serial - that is, which cannot be speeded up no
matter how many processors you have.

The simple solution is just to not run these problems on your
super-multiprocessor.

Another recent poster made a more important point - when large-scale
multiprocessors become general-purpose enough to handle context switching, a
serial section in one process will simply free up all the other processors
to run something else at the same time.

 - irving reid -
--
reid@sask.uucp                          {alberta, ihnp4, utcsri}!sask!reid

What the world REALLY needs is a good Automatic Bicycle Sharpener.