[comp.arch] Definition: Kludge

suhler@im4u.UUCP (04/15/87)

Someone asked for a definition of "kludge," but I never saw the
real one.  This is from _The Soul of a New Machine_, by Tracy
Kidder, (c) 1981 by John Tracy Kidder, reprinted without permission:

"Kludge made Alsing imagine a wheel built out of bricks, with
wooden wedges in between them; such a thing might work, but no
sane engineer would be proud to have designed it."

The word originated (I think) with hardware designers, but can
be just as well aplied to software.

--
Paul Suhler        suhler@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU	512-474-9517/471-3903

klein@gravity.UUCP (04/15/87)

In article <1736@im4u.UUCP> suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:
>Someone asked for a definition of "kludge," but I never saw the
>real one.

Here's something thrown into this discussion that might serve to help or
confuse...  the word "klug" in German means "clever".
--
	Mike Klein		klein@sun.{arpa,com}
	Sun Microsystems, Inc.	{ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!sun!klein

lyang%jennifer@Sun.COM (Larry Yang) (04/15/87)

In article <1736@im4u.UUCP> suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:
>Someone asked for a definition of "kludge," but I never saw the
>real one.

Here's a better question:  How do you pronounce the word?  Is it:

	a) rhymes with 'fudge'
	b) rhymes with 'stooge'
	c) rhymes with 'fuji'

I've heard all three, from various professors, engineers, writers.
What is it?

--Larry Yang [lyang@sun.com,{backbone}!sun!lyang]|   A REAL _|> /\ |
  Sun Microsystems, Inc., Mountain View, CA      | signature |   | | /-\ |-\ /-\
  "A computer's attention span is only as long   |          <|_/ \_| \_/\| |_\_|
   as its power cord."                           |                _/          _/

suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) (04/16/87)

In article <16769@sun.uucp> lyang@sun.UUCP (Larry Yang) writes:
>Here's a better question:  How do you pronounce the word?  Is it:

Definitely b:
>	b) rhymes with 'stooge'

"kludgey" is the adjective form:

--
Paul Suhler        suhler@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU	512-474-9517/471-3903

johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) (04/16/87)

In article <1736@im4u.UUCP> suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:
>Someone asked for a definition of "kludge," but I never saw the
>real one.  ...

The term goes way back, Datamation ran a funny series about the Kludge
Komputer Korp. in the 1950s. In any event, a kludge is like pornography in
that, as the justice said, it's hard to define but you know it when you see
it. (There are those who would say that a true kludge is by definition
pornographic, but that's beside the point.) It seems to me that for
something to be a kludge it 1) has to work, at least sort of, and 2) has to
work for the wrong reason. Anything which is elegant or generalizable is
immediately disqualified. Hardware kludges frequently involve things like
sending signals over spare ground wires. Software kludges involve the
equivalent, e.g. passing a pointer from one routine to another as a
floating point number because there was already a routine to do that and
you found 9 bytes of patch space close enough to it to hack in a 9-byte
sequence using short addresses.
--
John R. Levine, Javelin Software Corp., Cambridge MA +1 617 494 1400
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

kludge@gitpyr.UUCP (04/16/87)

In article <1736@im4u.UUCP> suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:
>Someone asked for a definition of "kludge," but I never saw the
>real one.

   Anything involving two or more of the following:
     1.  Rubber bands
     2.  Masking tape
     3.  Bailing wire
     4.  Level convertors (TTL-CMOS, TTL-RTL, ECL-HTL, etc.)
     5.  IBM equipment connected to NON-IBM equipment.
     6.  IBM equipment connected to IBM equipment.  (TNX jeanette)
--
Scott Dorsey   Kaptain_Kludge
ICS Programming Lab (Where old terminals go to die),  Rich 110,

landauer@sun.uucp (Doug Landauer) (04/17/87)

In article <16769@sun.uucp> lyang@sun.UUCP (Larry Yang) writes:
>In article <1736@im4u.UUCP> suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:
>>Someone asked for a definition of "kludge," but I never saw the
>>real one.
>
>Here's a better question:  How do you pronounce the word?

It *always* rhymes with "stooge".  I don't know where you heard the
other pronunciations, but they are wrong and very rare.  I have never
heard any other pronunciation of "kludge" than the one that rhymes with
"stooge".  That's why I prefer the slightly less-common spelling
"kluge".  It's a new enough word that both spellings are currently
acceptable, and if enough of us do this, maybe we can affect which
spelling wins out in the end.

	-- Doug Landauer

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (04/17/87)

I can tell you where "kluge" came from, and can give you
the approximate definition. In Datamation 1962 (can't remember
the month) there was an article which gave the definition:
 "Kluge: a random selection of mismatched parts forming
a displeasing whole".

That is the gist of the definition if not the exact form. I could probably
find it in a few hours, but I'll let someone else do it. At the time we
had no idea the term would catch on.

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen

jackg@tekchips.TEK.COM (Jack Gjovaag) (04/17/87)

In article <3433@gitpyr.gatech.EDU> kludge@gitpyr.UUCP (Scott Dorsey) writes:
>In article <1736@im4u.UUCP> suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:
>>Someone asked for a definition of "kludge," but I never saw the
>>real one.
>
>   Anything involving two or more of the following:
>     1.  Rubber bands
>     2.  Masking tape
>     3.  Bailing wire
>     4.  Level convertors (TTL-CMOS, TTL-RTL, ECL-HTL, etc.)
>     5.  IBM equipment connected to NON-IBM equipment.
>     6.  IBM equipment connected to IBM equipment.  (TNX jeanette)

Left off the list but important include:
      7.  Any Fortran program that uses Equivalence
      8.  Any Fortran program
      9.  One shots
     10.  Duct tape (sometimes called Duck tape and infinitely more
          kludgey than masking tape)
     11.  Capacitors used to delay signals
     12.  DTMF data encoding (poor man's modem)
     13.  Wire wrapped back planes
     14.  CRTs (the last holdout of the vacuum tube)
     15.  Running fix-up wires through via holes on a circuit board

  Jack Gjovaag
  Tek Labs

kludge@gitpyr.UUCP (04/18/87)

In article <1199@tekchips.TEK.COM> jackg@tekchips.UUCP (Jack Gjovaag) writes:
>In article <3433@gitpyr.gatech.EDU> kludge@gitpyr.UUCP (Scott Dorsey) writes:
>>In article <1736@im4u.UUCP> suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:
>>>Someone asked for a definition of "kludge," but I never saw the
>>>real one.
>     15.  Running fix-up wires through via holes on a circuit board

        You think that's bad?  I have some military avionics computers which
have fix-up wires running from one board in the backplane to another.  You
can't remove just one board; they are permanently connected together by a
strand of kynar hook-up wire.  This is what keeps your Air Force flying!

--

gerryg@laidbak.UUCP (04/19/87)

In article <16881@sun.uucp> landauer@sun.UUCP (Doug Landauer) writes:
>"stooge".  That's why I prefer the slightly less-common spelling
>"kluge".  It's a new enough word that both spellings are currently

That's the only spelling I can remember seeing, maybe it's just the
company I keep.

gerry gleason

gerryg@laidbak.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) (04/19/87)

In article <1199@tekchips.TEK.COM> jackg@tekchips.UUCP (Jack Gjovaag) writes:
>     10.  Duct tape (sometimes called Duck tape and infinitely more
>          kludgey than masking tape)

Also known as Rock'n'Roll tape of hundred mile per hour tape depending on
what you use it for

gerry gleason

cw@vaxwaller.UUCP (Carl Weidling) (04/20/87)

In article <16745@sun.uucp>, klein@gravity.UUCP writes:
> In article <1736@im4u.UUCP> suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:
> >Someone asked for a definition of "kludge," but I never saw the
  ...A little deleted as a sop for the post news program... -cw
> Here's something thrown into this discussion that might serve to help or
> confuse...  the word "klug" in German means "clever".
> --
> 	Mike Klein		klein@sun.{arpa,com}
> 	Sun Microsystems, Inc.	{ucbvax,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!sun!klein
> 	Mountain View, CA
There was a discussion of the etymology of "kludge" on the net awhile back,
seems some complex machines came from the German company Kluge.  Grad students
saw the name emblazoned on the equipment.
-cw

rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) (04/23/87)

In article <16881@sun.uucp>, landauer@sun.uucp (Doug Landauer) writes:
> In article <16769@sun.uucp> lyang@sun.UUCP (Larry Yang) writes:
> >Here's a better question:  How do you pronounce the word?
> It *always* rhymes with "stooge". [...] That's why I prefer the slightly
> less-common spelling "kluge". [...] Maybe we can affect which spelling
> wins out in the end.

Absolutely.  Kluge is right ( `kludge' (rhymes with sludge) is
the slimy mess created by a kluge.  :-) The spelling `kludge'
always reminds me of those persons who attended `colledge'.  It
makes my teeth ache.

...!alberta!auvax!aubade!rwa		Ross Alexander, Athabasca University

greg@utcsri.UUCP (04/27/87)

In article <1199@tekchips.TEK.COM> jackg@tekchips.UUCP (Jack Gjovaag) writes:
KLUGE:
>      7.  Any Fortran program that uses Equivalence
>      8.  Any Fortran program
       8.5 Forth.
>      9.  One shots
>     10.  Duct tape (sometimes called Duck tape and infinitely more
>          kludgey than masking tape)
	   Sometimes called Duck tape for much the same reason that
	   barbed wire is sometimes called 'bob' wire. Sometimes
	   called Gaffer's Tape.
[..]
      16.  Anything attached to an electrical outlet other than
	   by the appropriate plug :-(
      17.  Anything containing a 6502.
      18.  Hubcaps.

Greg Smith     University of Toronto      UUCP: ..utzoo!utcsri!greg
Have vAX, will hack...