[comp.arch] Klu

herndon@umn-cs.UUCP (04/16/87)

  The word kludge(?), as used around here is pronounced
to rhyme with 'fudge'.  It is my opinion that this is
incorrect, as I learned it as 'kluge', rhymes with stooge,
and the origin is definitely german.  If some older-time
hackers correct me, I might accept their judgement.
(I've only known the word since 1976.)  The original german
has a hard 'g', and is pronounced kloog.

				Robert Herndon

suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) (04/17/87)

In article <1490@umn-cs.UUCP> herndon@umn-cs.UUCP (Robert Herndon) writes:

>  The word kludge(?), as used around here is pronounced
>to rhyme with 'fudge'.  It is my opinion that this is
>incorrect, as I learned it as 'kluge', rhymes with stooge,
>and the origin is definitely german.  If some older-time
>hackers correct me, I might accept their judgement.
>(I've only known the word since 1976.)  The original german
>has a hard 'g', and is pronounced kloog.

I heard it as "klooj" in 1973 and I've never heard it any other way.

They must tawlk fuunny war yawl comes frum.
--
Paul Suhler        suhler@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU	512-474-9517/471-3903

kck@g.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (04/28/87)

'Kluge' is German for "clever" or "wise", and is pronounced "klooguh",
although my family pronounces it "kloogee" (long 'e' at the end). _The
Hacker's Dictionary_, if I recall correctly, gives the same meaning to
'kludge', while giving its origin as Yiddish.  We've been using the
name since 1800 at least, so it far predates electronic equiptment
manufacturers.

Karl Kluge (kck@g.cs.cmu.edu)

rentsch@unc.UUCP (04/30/87)

From Webster's:

      kludge \'kluj\ or kluge \'kluj, 'klu-je\ n [origin unknown]
	(1962) : a system and esp. a computer system made up of
	poorly matched components

Enough already!

amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (05/01/87)

Someone should track down the author of the original article about
the Kludge Computer (Datamation in 1962, I think), and ask him!
--
	Amos Shapir
National Semiconductor (Israel)

hwe@beta.UUCP (Skip Egdorf) (05/04/87)

In article <759@instable.UUCP>, amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
> Someone should track down the author of the original article about
> the Kludge Computer (Datamation in 1962, I think), and ask him!
> --
> 	Amos Shapir
> National Semiconductor (Israel)
> 6 Maskit st. P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel  Tel. (972)52-522261
> amos%nsta@nsc.com {hplabs,pyramid,sun,decwrl} 34.48'E 32.10'N

Datamation, V8 N2 Feb 1962
Page 30
"How to Design A Kludge" by Jackson W. Granholm

Datamation, V8 N5 May 1962
Page 63
"How to Market A Kludge shrewdly" by Oswald I. Orthmutt

Datamation, V8 N7 July 1962
Page 41
"The Master Plan for Kludge Software" by Dr. Morris L. Morris and
                                         Dr. Austin O. Arthur

Amos, Thank you for the nudge to get upstairs and dig out these three
gems again. They are important texts that should be a part of any
educated computer scientist's stock of knowledge.

The three papers are very up to date despite the publication dates;
A very depressing thought!

Other articles show the age of these very modern papers:
The 7094: IBM's 90 Successor
The CDC 3600: Modularity from 32-262K
and
How to Make a computer Appear Intelligent, by Joseph Weizenbaum
(Maybe I should crosspost to comp.AI...)
				Skip

These magazines do not represent official magazines of
Los Alamos National Laboratory.
Neither do any opinions contained herein.