[comp.arch] Lampson's paper

bcase@amdcad.AMD.COM (Brian Case) (05/04/87)

In article <360@winchester.UUCP> mash@winchester.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:
>Note: this is a classic "hints" strategy
>[Butler Lampson did a great paper on systems design a few years ago,
>that among other principles used "hints" that sped performance, and
>could well be wrong, if you were careful.  I'll try to dig up the
>reference if no one else gets there first.]

Here is the reference:

Lampson, Butler W., "Hints for Computer System Design," ACM Operating
Systems Review, Vol. 17, No. 5, Oct. 1983.

It may have been published other places too.  This paper should be
required reading for anyone who will ever program a computer.  It
gives Lampson's address at Xerox PARC (it must have been published
just before the big purge) and draws heavily on his (and other's)
experience there.

    bcase