[comp.arch] Optical Interconnects

grunwald@uiucdcsm.UUCP (04/29/87)

Speaking of optical computers,

	I heard of an effort underway at Caltech/Jpl to inter-connect an
array of computers use a hologram placed above an NxN array of CPUs.
Each CPU has a diode laser which is used to communicate with other CPUs.
This (allegedly) provides total inter-connect without wires.

	Does anyone have anymore information on this? One article I've seen
related to this is "... Fast Fourier Transform in a Light-connected 3-d VLSI"
by Hasegawa & Shigeo in 13th An. Symp. on Comp. Arch.

jps@apollo.uucp (Jeffrey P. Snover) (04/30/87)

Sorry I've never heard about this but it sounds pretty funky.  However...
It sparked a memory.  I seem to remember hearing a rumor that DEC
was working on an optical BI bus.   Anybody know the details?

lyang%jennifer@Sun.COM (Larry Yang) (05/04/87)

In article <3300005@uiucdcsm> grunwald@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>	I heard of an effort underway at Caltech/Jpl to inter-connect an
>array of computers use a hologram placed above an NxN array of CPUs.
>Each CPU has a diode laser which is used to communicate with other CPUs.
>This (allegedly) provides total inter-connect without wires.

I remember hearing at a seminar that Goodman at Stanford used a technique
similar to the above to distribute the clock signal to various parts
of a machine, thus eliminating the clock skew between components.  Sorry
I don't have any references to this work.

--Larry Yang [lyang@sun.com,{backbone}!sun!lyang]|   A REAL _|> /\ |
  Sun Microsystems, Inc., Mountain View, CA      | signature |   | | /-\ |-\ /-\
  "World peace will occur when there is a copier |          <|_/ \_| \_/\| |_\_|
   so simple that even an engineer can use it."	 |                _/          _/

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) (05/05/87)

In article <17993@sun.uucp> lyang@sun.UUCP (Larry Yang) writes:
>I don't have any references to this work.
>--Larry Yang [lyang@sun.com,{backbone}!sun!lyang]|   A REAL _|> /\ |

I do.

If you want a set of dated, but still very good articles, I would
refer you to the Proc. of the IEEE, July? 1984 special issue on digital
optical computing.  An interim report in Spectrum is also available, but
it's not a technical paper, just a rag survey, and would rather you
found the Proc. papers instead.  The other place to look in the optical
literature, not the electronic literature (right?;-).

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!aurora!eugene

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (05/06/87)

There was an article on optical nueral(sp?) networks by some Caltech
people in a recent Scientific American ( within the last four issue ).
It has some stuff that sounds like what you are talking about.
--
Tim Smith			"Froh wie seine Sonnen fliegen
sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim		 Durch des Himmels praecht'gen Plan,

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/06/87)

I seem to remember an add-in three board set which I saw a few years ago
that had a hole in the center board and an LED transferring data from one
end to the other. Reason given was problems with the high speed circuit
through the bus or on cable over the top. Does anyone reamember what the
was and who made it?

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \	ARPA: wedu@ge-crd.arpa
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen