[comp.arch] CORDIC references

radford@calgary.UUCP (06/11/87)

I have received several requests for references to the CORDIC method
of calculating sin, cos, log, exp, arcsin, etc. Since others may
also be interested, and since in any case the mail system and I are
not currently on good terms, here is the list:

    Volder, J. (1959) The CORDIC Computing Technique, IRE Transactions
      on Electronic Computers, vol. EC-8 (September 1959), pp. 330-334.

    Walther, J. S. (1971) A Unified Algorithm for Elementary Functions,
      Spring Joint Computer Conference, vol. 38 (Spring 1971), pp 379-385.

    Haviland, G. L. and Tuszynski, A. A (1980) A CORDIC Arithmetic
      Processor Chip, IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. C-29 no. 2
      (February 1980) pp. 68-79.

    Schelin, C. W. (1983) Calculator Function Approximation, American
      Mathematical Monthly, May 1983, pp. 317-325.

    Nave, R. (1983) Implementation of Transcendental Functions on a
      Numerics Processor, Microprocessing and Microprogramming, vol. 11
      (1983), pp. 221-225, North-Holland.

    Muller, J-M. (1985) Discrete Basis and Computation of Elementary
      Functions, IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. C-34, no. 9
      (September 1985), pp. 857-862.

Have fun,

    Radford Neal

andrews@hpsal2.UUCP (06/15/87)

	References to theoretical papers are nice.  But to a hacker like
me, there's no substitute for reading through some code on a rainy day.
	Does anybody have references to some real live software that
implements some CORDIC algorithms?  Complete with the constants that would
normally go in ROM.  A sample like that would be really appreciated.
Thanks...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< No caveat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

socha@drivax.UUCP (Henri J. Socha (x6251)) (06/20/87)

In article <2280001@hpsal2.HP.COM> andrews@hpsal2.HP.COM (Edward E. Andrews) writes:

>	References to theoretical papers are nice.  But to a hacker like
>me, there's no substitute for reading through some code on a rainy day.
>	Does anybody have references to some real live software that
>implements some CORDIC algorithms?  Complete with the constants that would
>normally go in ROM.  A sample like that would be really appreciated.
>Thanks...

               ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

Well, just get a copy of the HP 35 (and successor?) ROM listings.
It aught to be available in some HP library. It's in there.  :-)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist the gibe.

Also, sorry no listings but you could disassemble the SANE code in the
Macintosh or Apple II.  Or, get the ROM (6854? - anyway a 68xx number) for the
Motorola 6809 (its a 6809 ROM containing CORDIC based floating point code)!
Hey, its also in the 68881 if you can figure how to dump the ROMs & read it :-)
All of these have CORDIC routines in them.

--
UUCP:...!amdahl!drivax!socha                                      WAT Iron'75
"Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler."  A. Einstein

ns@maccs.UUCP (Nicholas Solntseff) (06/26/87)

Forth Dimensions (the newsletter of the Forth Interest Group -- sorry I do
not have my set to hand now) had to articles on the CORDIC algorithm (one
single-precision, the other double precision Forth).  I had a student implement
them a couple of years back and was quite happy with the double-precision
version (on an 8-bit machine).

Nick Solntseff
ns@maccs.UUCP