[comp.arch] comp.arch.par - Free gifts- Read

ram@nucsrl.UUCP (Renu Raman) (06/24/87)

    Here goes the second call for "comp.arch.par".  All parallel processihng
    enthusiasts - join hands to start this new & exciting newsgoup.

    Every "yeah" gets a T-shirt and free membership for a year.  Every "nay"
    will be mailed a flame suit.

-------------------
Renu Raman				UUCP:...ihnp4!nucsrl!ram
1410 Chicago Ave., #505			ARPA:ram@eecs.nwu.edu
Evanston  IL  60201			AT&T:(312)-869-4276

fpst@hubcap.UUCP (06/29/87)

As an alternative, the "comp.hypercube" news group already exists.  You
may post to it (it's moderated) or send to me directly at

hypercube-request@hubcap.clemson.edu	(internet)
fpst%clemson@relay.cs.net		(CSnet)

The group is active and interested in anything that is "massively
parallel."

Steve
(D. E. Stevenson)
Computer Science/ Clemson University
(803) 656-3444

nyles@aeras.UUCP (Mister of the Universe) (06/29/87)

In article <3810041@nucsrl.UUCP> ram@nucsrl.UUCP (Renu Raman) writes:
>    enthusiasts - join hands to start this new & exciting newsgoup.
>
>    Every "yeah" gets a T-shirt and free membership for a year.  Every "nay"

Yeah!  So where's my T-shirt?  Does it have Bill the Cat on it?  How much
text do I have to add so the *&$%#$ software will let me post this?

Actually, I have a request:  does anyone out there have some good references
to articles and books on this subject?  I'm interested in both hardware
and software, and my trips to Kepler's in Palo Alto have revealed a dearth of
material.  Of course, not being especially well grounded in the subject, it's
likely that I missed the gems among the gravel...

--
"Little blue pancakes."				Nyles Nettleton
Disclaimer:  I did NOT squish that Smurf!	...hplabs!

lls@mimsy.UUCP (Lauren L. Smith) (07/01/87)

In article <232@hubcap.UUCP>, fpst@hubcap.UUCP (Dennis Stevenson) writes:

> As an alternative, the "comp.hypercube" news group already exists.  You
> may post to it (it's moderated) or send to me directly at
>
> hypercube-request@hubcap.clemson.edu	(internet)
> fpst%clemson@relay.cs.net		(CSnet)
>
> The group is active and interested in anything that is "massively
> parallel."

I think that comp.hypercube will be very useful, especially since there
are several hypercube machines on the market and there is alot of interest
in various aspects of hypercubes - software, architecture and algorithms.

I think there is need for comp.arch.par to discuss other parallel
architectures, including current "paper ones".  I would like to see
discussion on the Connection Machine, Butterfly/Monarch, etc...

- Lauren Smith
ARPA: lls@mimsy.umd.edu

harwood@cvl.umd.edu (David Harwood) (07/01/87)

In article <7278@mimsy.UUCP> lls@mimsy.UUCP (Lauren L. Smith) writes:

[...]

>I think that comp.hypercube will be very useful, especially since there
>are several hypercube machines on the market and there is alot of interest
>in various aspects of hypercubes - software, architecture and algorithms.
>
>I think there is need for comp.arch.par to discuss other parallel
>architectures, including current "paper ones".  I would like to see
>discussion on the Connection Machine, Butterfly/Monarch, etc...

	We have a couple of parallel machines in our lab - a 128 processor
BBN "butterfly" (banyan switch) shared memory MIMD machine, and a smaller,
fault tolerant MIMD machine for interface. These are linked with a dozen
assorted Vaxes, Suns, Symbolics, Grinnells, and Vicom image processor. These
are used in development of parallel algorithms for image analysis and robotic
navigation. I'll be using the "butterfly" in one project for development
of a concurrent hybrid logic programming system in the Fall. We also will
soon have a Connection machine and Warp systolic array processor which might
be integrated usefully. I would very much like to hear about mixed
architectures for similar complex symbolic/numerical applications before
we start development here.

David Harwood
Computer Vision Lab
Center for Automation Research
University of Maryland, College Park 20742
harwood@cvl.umd.edu