[comp.arch] Simulation eats MIPS

jsp@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (06/14/87)

Hear, Hear! I am doing a relatively simple simulation of intercell
communication in a three-cell systolic array (I cut it down as much as
I could). Even though I can simulate a blazing 1 million clocks/second,
Ithe programs I am simulating run for 100's and thousands of mega-clocks.
And I need to simulate 72 programs, each 10 times (varying a parameter).
One program ran 2 giga-clocks before the simulation died and said "clock
overflow". *That* took two days, and 2200 minutes of CPU time on an 8650.
I don't know what I'd do if all I had was an 11/785. It would be real nice
to have 720 Suns. Then I'd be done in two days, instead of four weeks. Or
one real fast one :-). BTW, the simulator takes only 64K, and a typical
output file is only 1K...
John Pieper				 jsp@n.sp.cs.cmu.edu
Computer Science Department
Carnegie-Mellon University
Pittsburgh, Pa 15213
	"Supersonicous Siliconous"? What we need is Warp speed!

fay@encore.UUCP (Peter Fay) (07/02/87)

In article <40@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu> jsp@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (John Pieper) writes:
>... I am doing a relatively simple simulation...
>... Even though I can simulate a blazing 1 million clocks/second,
>the programs I am simulating run for 100's and thousands of mega-clocks.
>And I need to simulate 72 programs, each 10 times (varying a parameter).
>One program ran 2 giga-clocks before the simulation died and said "clock
>overflow". *That* took two days, and 2200 minutes of CPU time on an 8650.
>I don't know what I'd do if all I had was an 11/785. It would be real nice
>to have 720 Suns.

Try multiprocessing. CMU CS/RI has three multiprocessors, two of which are
Encore Multimaxes. These each have 14 32032's (could have 20 of them), and
will soon be upgraded to 323332's. They each then will be 28 MIP machines
with global shared memory. By the way, they are both running Mach
operating system.

			peter fay
			research
			encore computer