[comp.arch] Parallel Processing - References

pase@ogcvax.UUCP (07/06/87)

In article <aeras.301> nyles@aeras.UUCP (Nyles Nettleton) scribbles:

>Actually, I have a request:  does anyone out there have some good references
>to articles and books on this subject?  I'm interested in both hardware
>and software, and my trips to Kepler's in Palo Alto have revealed a dearth of
>material.  Of course, not being especially well grounded in the subject, it's
>likely that I missed the gems among the gravel...

Articles number in the thousands.  You'ld have to be more specific than
"parallel processing - both hardware and software".  Two texts which seem to be
pretty good, but not outstanding are:

	Computer Architecture and Parallel Processing, by Hwang and Briggs
	(McGraw Hill, 1984)

	Distributed Computing, edited by Fred Chambers, David Duce and Gillian
	Jones (Academic Press, 1984)

Both give good lists of article references in the standard journals.
--
Doug Pase   --   ...ucbvax!tektronix!ogcvax!pase  or  pase@Oregon-Grad.csnet

kumar@ut-sally.UUCP (07/07/87)

In article <1338@ogcvax.UUCP> pase@ogcvax.UUCP (Douglas M. Pase) writes:

>Articles number in the thousands.  You'ld have to be more specific than
>"parallel processing - both hardware and software".  Two texts which seem to be
>pretty good, but not outstanding are:
>
>	Computer Architecture and Parallel Processing, by Hwang and Briggs
>	(McGraw Hill, 1984)
>
>	Distributed Computing, edited by Fred Chambers, David Duce and Gillian
>	Jones (Academic Press, 1984)

Other good books are:
     Designing Efficient Algorithms for Parallel Computers, by
     Michael Quinn, McGraw Hill 1987

     High-Performance Computer Architecture, by
     Harold Stone, Addison-Wesley, 1987

     Parallel Processing: The Cm* Experience, by
     Gehringer, Siewiorek and Segall, Digital Press, 1987

Vipin