[comp.arch] Letting goodies slip?

earle@jplopto.uucp (Greg Earle (40876)) (07/06/87)

In article <497@winchester.UUCP> mash@winchester.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:
>SunRise / SPARC /Sun-4 should be announced this week,
>and they ought to be over 20K Dhrystones, too.

Alright, I'll bite.  What are `SunRise' & `SPARC'?  Is the Sun-4 a
non vaporware entity now?  Is it a RISC based machine, as has been rumored?
Can I take it from the context of John's article that this is true (guilt
by association  (-: ) ?

	Greg Earle		earle@{jplpub1,jplopto}.JPL.NASA.GOV
	(Now ex-)JPL		jpl{pub1,opto}!earle@jpl-elroy.ARPA
				jpl(pub1,opto}!earle@elroy.JPL.NASA.GOV
				seismo!cit-vax!elroy!jpl{opto,pub1}!earle

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (07/07/87)

In article <4083@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> earle@jplopto.JPL.NASA.GOV (Greg Earle) writes:
>In article <497@winchester.UUCP> mash@winchester.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:
>>SunRise / SPARC /Sun-4 should be announced this week,
>>and they ought to be over 20K Dhrystones, too.
>
>Alright, I'll bite.  What are `SunRise' & `SPARC'?  Is the Sun-4 a
>non vaporware entity now?  Is it a RISC based machine, as has been rumored?
>Can I take it from the context of John's article that this is true (guilt
>by association  (-: ) ?

Guilt by association??  At least short articles are in most of the rags
today, but this stuff has been common knowledge around the Valley for
a while, i.e., not goodies particularly.  As I understand it (Sun-ites
	can correct me if these are wrong, but):
	Sun-4	= name for the product line being announced this week
	SPARC = overall name for the architecture, regardless of the box
	SunRise = internal code name for the one that goes in a 3/260 box,
		i.e., each box has a separate name , like SunRay, SunTan, etc.
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (07/08/87)

In article <4083@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> earle@jplopto.JPL.NASA.GOV (Greg Earle) writes:
>In article <497@winchester.UUCP> mash@winchester.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:
>>SunRise / SPARC /Sun-4 should be announced this week,
>>and they ought to be over 20K Dhrystones, too.
>
>Alright, I'll bite.  What are `SunRise' & `SPARC'?  Is the Sun-4 a
>non vaporware entity now?  Is it a RISC based machine, as has been rumored?

According to EE Times, June 29 issue, page 13, in Apollo article:

	"... Sun Microsystems Inc. will headline a show all its own in
	New York on July 8.  The solo performer is Project Sunrise, a
	10-Mips workstation that uses a proprietary reduced-instruction
	set computer (RISC) design implemented in a 20,000-gate CPU
	produced by Fujitsu."

-Fred
--
= Drug tests; just say *NO*!
= Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA