[comp.arch] Kernel build times, esp. on Amdahl

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (07/07/87)

I've been intrigued by Amdahl's recent recuriting ads that say they
build a UNIX kernel in 3 minutes.  Can anybody from Amdahl say:
1) what model this is on?
2) is 3 minutes CPU time, or real time, and what's the other number?
3) is this optimized or unoptimized?

For comparison:
UNIX kernel make from scratch times: 4.3BSD+NFS, MIPS M/1000:
239.7u 74.5s 12:39 41% 99+231k 6739+6986io 3167pf	unoptimized
492.6u 100.3s 18:53 52% 174+313k 8591+8880io 3901pf 	optimized -O2

MIPS M/800's are a little slower, take about 15 minutes real, and 6 minutes
total CPU time.

NOTE: this benchmark is NOT necessarily a good test of anything in particular,
but it is of more than passing interest to people who do kernels!

[I'm hunting numbers from other machines for next Performance Brief.
Mail to me and I'll summarize to the net.]
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253

yoram@cheshire.columbia.edu (Yoram Eisenstadter) (07/08/87)

In article <502@winchester.UUCP> mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:
>I've been intrigued by Amdahl's recent recruiting ads that say they
>build a UNIX kernel in 3 minutes.  Can anybody from Amdahl say:
>1) what model this is on?
>2) is 3 minutes CPU time, or real time, and what's the other number?
>3) is this optimized or unoptimized?
>
>For comparison:
>UNIX kernel make from scratch times: 4.3BSD+NFS, MIPS M/1000:
>239.7u 74.5s 12:39 41% 99+231k 6739+6986io 3167pf	unoptimized
>492.6u 100.3s 18:53 52% 174+313k 8591+8880io 3901pf 	optimized -O2

I'm not from Amdahl, but here goes anyway...

Since C compiles do a great deal of I/O (reading in source and .h
files, writing out temp files, reading in temp files, writing out
object files) it seems to me that any benchmark of a kernel-make
would be heavily dependent on the kind of disk drives attached to
the processor.

If Amdahl's figures come from a system that's similar to current
large IBM mainframes (I don't know much about Amdahl's products,
except that they're 370-architecture compatible), they would
typically have fast disk drives with large, expensive controllers
hooked up via fast block-multiplexor channels.  I doubt that MIPS
boxes come with such I/O devices.  (Amdahl may even have CPUs which
are faster than MIPS's; who knows?  :-) )

By the way, note that John's benchmarks show that the CPU is idle
about half the time, probably waiting for disk reads to complete.

Also, assuming Amdahl's numbers represent wall-clock time (and
their kernel is as big as 4.3BSD+NFS), they are only 4 to 6 times
faster than John's numbers.  The fact that the largest
conventional mainframe is 4 to 6 times faster than a small RISC
processor (is the MIPS a single-chip CPU? single board?) doesn't
really surprise me very much.

Cheers..Yoram

Yoram Eisenstadter                     | Arpanet: yoram@cs.columbia.edu
Columbia University                    | Usenet:  seismo!columbia!cs!yoram
Dept. of Computer Science              | Bitnet:  yoram%cs.columbia.edu@WISCVM
New York, NY 10027                     | Phone:   (212) 280-8180

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU.ucsc.edu (99700000) (07/08/87)

In article <502@winchester.UUCP> mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:
>I've been intrigued by Amdahl's recent recuriting ads that say they
>build a UNIX kernel in 3 minutes.  Can anybody from Amdahl say:

I haven't seen the ads, but it has bothered me for years that we could
compile the 'kernel' of the Burroughs 5500 MCP from scratch in about
20 minutes (from scratch being the only way you could compile it), yet
on hardware 20 years younger it takes hours to compile a Unix kernel
of about the same size.

haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

dwc@homxc.UUCP (07/09/87)

In article <502@winchester.UUCP>, mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:
> I've been intrigued by Amdahl's recent recuriting ads that say they
> build a UNIX kernel in 3 minutes.  Can anybody from Amdahl say:
> 1) what model this is on?
> 2) is 3 minutes CPU time, or real time, and what's the other number?
> 3) is this optimized or unoptimized?
>
> For comparison:
> UNIX kernel make from scratch times: 4.3BSD+NFS, MIPS M/1000:
> 239.7u 74.5s 12:39 41% 99+231k 6739+6986io 3167pf	unoptimized
> 492.6u 100.3s 18:53 52% 174+313k 8591+8880io 3901pf 	optimized -O2
>
> MIPS M/800's are a little slower, take about 15 minutes real, and 6 minutes
> total CPU time.
>
> NOTE: this benchmark is NOT necessarily a good test of anything in particular,
> but it is of more than passing interest to people who do kernels!
>
> [I'm hunting numbers from other machines for next Performance Brief.

i don't know about kernel builds but i once ported a cross compiler
enviroment in order to run a benchmark on an amdahl and the make went
so fast that i thought that i was 'cat'ting the makefile!

danny chen
{ihnp4|attunix}!homxc!dwc

pdg@ihdev.UUCP (07/09/87)

In article <502@winchester.UUCP> mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:
>I've been intrigued by Amdahl's recent recuriting ads that say they
>build a UNIX kernel in 3 minutes.  Can anybody from Amdahl say:
>1) what model this is on?
>2) is 3 minutes CPU time, or real time, and what's the other number?
>3) is this optimized or unoptimized?

I must say I believe it.  On one of our systems:

uts ihlpj 5.2.5 5 5890

(ie an amdahl 5890 running Unix 5.2.5)

I can build GNU emacs from scratch in less than a minute.  I would
then guess that that is real time.  Also (as a guess) I would say
optimized as I would suppose they are running (as I was) the native
mode compiler.  Check out the Dhrystones for these beasties.  Quite
impressive and they do live up to it.

--

Paul Guthrie				"Another day, another Jaguar"
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg				    -- Pat Sajak