[comp.arch] XENIX 386 benchmark results

jfh@killer.UUCP (John Haugh) (07/03/87)

In article <127@spdcc.COM>, dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
> At least from the Dhrystone benchmarks reported below, we're well
> into Sun 3 territory, if not beyond!  Quite amazing...
>
> 	      IBM PC/AT 8mhz	  IBM PC/AT with Intel Inboard 386/AT
> 					at 16mhz, cache enabled
> 		XENIX 286	XENIX 286	XENIX 286	XENIX 386
> 		16-bit mem	16-bit mem	32-bit mem	32-bit mem
>
> Drystone 1.1	no reg	reg	no reg	reg	no reg	reg	no reg	reg
>             	1084	1094	1957	1963	2906	2893	4603	4922
[ some munging to get rid of unneeded 1.0 kruft ]

I really don't know about the claim that the 386 is now in Sun territory.
I just benchmarked a Plexus P/95 (Yes, I know the list price is up arround
$100K) and it came out somewheres near 5200 Dhrystones at 20Mhz.  The
25Mhz box we bought should be over 6000.  Hopefully Guy can get his Sun's
to do alittle better than they have been doing.

We should be getting our box in sometime this week.  I finally got a
system built the way *I* wanted rather than what the boss wanted to spend
on one.  Dual disks, plenty RAM, spare serial ports, the works.  I just
hope they can still afford to give me a raise next year :-) :-) :-).

And just for kicks, I bounced this into comp.arch where it might be
interesting for all of those RISC'y people to see ...

And by the way - Xenix is not just an operating system for PC's.  Tandy
runs it on 68000's, I don't know about anyone else though ...

- John.

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (07/05/87)

In article <1090@killer.UUCP> jfh@killer.UUCP (John Haugh) writes:
....on 386s getting into SUn-3 territory...
>I really don't know about the claim that the 386 is now in Sun territory.
>I just benchmarked a Plexus P/95 (Yes, I know the list price is up arround
>$100K) and it came out somewheres near 5200 Dhrystones at 20Mhz.  The
>25Mhz box we bought should be over 6000....

>And just for kicks, I bounced this into comp.arch where it might be
>interesting for all of those RISC'y people to see ...

Hmmm.  You might want to read Rick's current Dhrystone lists.

I realize my login machine does only a "wimpy" 10-12K Dhrystones,
but I've got terminal sessions going on this instant on RISC micros
that do 18-22K Dhrystones, and they are NOT wimpy [about 5 minutes CPU
time and <13 minutes real time for full 4.3+NFS kernel build from scratch.
This is slower than the Amdahl "3 minutes".]
SunRise / SPARC /Sun-4 should be announced this week,
and they ought to be over 20K Dhrystones, too.

Rick's end-of-July issue should be interesting: at least 2 different
RISC microprocessors will be on the list FASTER than IBM 3081s,
CRAY X-MPs [to be fair, not built for Dhrystone:-)].  They will be
slower than IBM 3090s and Amdahl 5860s...this year...
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (07/13/87)

In article <1090@killer.UUCP> jfh@killer.UUCP (John Haugh) writes:

>And by the way - Xenix is not just an operating system for PC's.  Tandy
>runs it on 68000's, I don't know about anyone else though ...

I think Ohio Scientific runs a hacked version of Xenix on 68000's too.

-- robert
--
SNAIL:	Robert Claeson, PVAB, P.O. Box 4040, S-171 04 Solna, Sweden
UUCP:	{seismo,mcvax,munnari}!enea!pvab!robert

ps@diab.UUCP (Per-Erik Sundberg) (07/14/87)

In article <201@pvab.UUCP> robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:
>I think Ohio Scientific runs a hacked version of Xenix on 68000's too.
They run D-NIX, which earlier was inspired by Xenix, but now
has joined the SVID-compatible bandwagon.

--
Per-Erik Sundberg,  Diab Data AB
SNAIL: Box 2029, S-183 02 Taby, Sweden

campbell@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mark Campbell) (07/15/87)

In article <225@diab.UUCP> ps@.UUCP (Per-Erik Sundberg) writes:
>In article <201@pvab.UUCP> robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:
> [...]

Speaking of Xenix...

Does anyone know why the 80286 and 80386-based Xenix machines perform the
AIM 2.0 forks per second test so well?  I've been seeing numbers lately
of between 90 and 120 forks per second on several PC's.  I'm wondering if
the high numbers are a result of the 80x86 architecture, the Xenix kernel
implementation of fork, the libraries, compiler, etc.  Thanks.
--
						Mark Campbell
						{}!ncsu!ncrcae!sauron!campbell