[comp.arch] The Power of **2

mo@seismo.CSS.GOV (Mike O'Dell) (07/23/87)

On a lighter note, I find it rather humorous that
when Sperry, purveyor of 36-bit word machines,
and Burroughs, purveyor of 48-bit word (and also
bit-variable word-length) machines combined, they
managed to pick a catchphrase absolutely antithetical
to both product lines.

Well, I guess the do base 2 arithmetic, but wait, didn't
the Univacs use ones-comp, or was it only classic
CDC machines???

	-Mike O'Dell

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (07/24/87)

In article <44037@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> mo@seismo.CSS.GOV (Mike O'Dell) writes:
>On a lighter note, I find it rather humorous that...

>Well, I guess the do base 2 arithmetic, but wait, didn't
>the Univacs use ones-comp, or was it only classic
They sure used to! I had to convert a tape of 1's comp 24 bit numbers to
2's comp 36 bits.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

dgreen@CS.UCLA.EDU (07/27/87)

In article <44037@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> mo@seismo.CSS.GOV (Mike O'Dell) writes:

>Well, I guess the do base 2 arithmetic, but wait, didn't
>the Univacs use ones-comp, or was it only classic
>CDC machines???

Ones-complement, twos-complement, sign+magnitude, excess-64, etc are
integer representations independent of number base.  I.e., all the machines
you listed are base-2 machines, except perhaps in their handling of
floating point mantissas.

Dan Greening   Internet   dgreen@CS.UCLA.EDU
               UUCP       ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!dgreen