[comp.arch] machine word sizes

lindsay@k.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) (07/24/87)

I believe that John Von Neumann chose 36 bits as giving the precision he
wanted for arithmetic calculation. This was in the early 1950's, when
floating point hardware was too expensive to be worthwhile.

Twelve bit machines, such as the PDP-8, were used as lab machines. The best
analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) were 12 bits at that time. Perhaps some
24-bit machines relate to this.

The PDP-5, 7, 9, and 15 were 18 bit machines ( 36/2 I'm sure ). The most
visible result of this is the silly tendency to use six-and-three characters
for filenames ( "myfile.bas" ).

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (07/25/87)

In article <1184@k.cs.cmu.edu> lindsay@k.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) writes:
> The PDP-5, 7, 9, and 15 were 18 bit machines ( 36/2 I'm sure ). The most
> visible result of this is the silly tendency to use six-and-three characters
> for filenames ( "myfile.bas" ).

	DEC didn't let the migration to 16-bit words sway them from 6+3
filenames.  Au contrare, they simply invented the rad-50 character code so
you could pack 3 characters into 16 bits.  You got 26 upper-case letters,
10 digits, and 14 random pieces of punctuation.  Blech!  I don't remember
the exact details of rad-50 to ascii conversion, but I seem to recall it
being about as complex as 4.3's namei :-)

	If 4 bits is a nyble, and 8 bits is a byte, is the 5-1/3 bits need
to hold a rad-50 character a baubyl?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

bd@zyx.UUCP (Bjorn Danielsson) (07/27/87)

In article <2817@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>	DEC didn't let the migration to 16-bit words sway them from 6+3
>filenames.  Au contrare, they simply invented the rad-50 character code so
>you could pack 3 characters into 16 bits.  You got 26 upper-case letters,
>10 digits, and 14 random pieces of punctuation.  Blech!  I don't remember
>the exact details of rad-50 to ascii conversion, but I seem to recall it
>being about as complex as 4.3's namei :-)

Actually, the radix-50 code has only 40 characters. The figure "50" is an
octal number. 40*40*40 = 64000, which fits nicely into 16 bits. Or you can
pack 6 characters into 32 bits, which is what they did on the PDP-10, leaving
4 extra bits for other uses (flag bits, etc).
The character set was " _.$ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789".
--
Bjorn Danielsson, ZYX, +46 8 653205, ...mcvax!enea!zyx!bd

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (07/28/87)

In article <1184@k.cs.cmu.edu> lindsay@k.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) writes:
>I believe that John Von Neumann chose 36 bits as giving the precision he
>wanted for arithmetic calculation. This was in the early 1950's, when
>floating point hardware was too expensive to be worthwhile.
The way I heard the story, one of the early demo programs was a checkers
game (without kings), and 36 bits was just enough to hold the game state
including the board boundaries.

pdg@ihdev.ATT.COM (Joe Isuzu) (07/28/87)

In article <2817@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>Blech!  I don't remember
>the exact details of rad-50 to ascii conversion, but I seem to recall it
>being about as complex as 4.3's namei :-)

Well, you had to ask.

Here is the table:
Char	RAD 50
----	------
NULL	0
'0'-'9'	01-012
'A'-'Z'	013-044
'.'	045
'$'	046
'%'	047

And the alg for ASCII to RAD-50:

	x = 0;
	for (i=0;i<6;i++) {
		x=x*050;
		x+= convert_to_val_in_tab("string"[i])
	}
and of course RAD-50 to ASCII is just the inverse.

I *think* that's about right.  No flames for slight inaccuracies -
it's been years since I touched on of those beasties.

Now, don't we all wish namei() was *that* easy?
--

Paul Guthrie				"Another day, another Jaguar"
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg				    -- Pat Sajak