[comp.arch] Dhrystone replacement. Info req.

pf@diab.UUCP (Per Fogelstrom) (08/02/87)

In article <17780@amdcad.AMD.COM> tim@amdcad.UUCP (Tim Olson) writes:
>In article <279@diab.UUCP> pf@.UUCP (Per Fogelstrom) writes:
>+-----
>| Be serious! Do you really belive in Dhrystone? Okay i do admitt that we don't
>| have anything better for the moment, but soon i hope.
>+-----
>I hope so, too.  Dhrystone has been "twisted" by the translation from
>Ada to C (too much emphasis on string handling) and by the use of
>globally-optimizing compilers (code elimination) so much that it now
>should only be used as a *very* rough ballpark figure (unfortunately,
>people tend to like single figures-of-merit).  There are on-going
>attempts to define new benchmarks; let's hope that some of these
>problems are being addressed.

Yes, i have also heard about these attempts. I would really appreciate any
information or ideas about it. Please e-mail it to me. I'll summarize.

I really like the idea of Dhrystone, (but not the way it's coded). It is well
known and results from many processor types and implementations exists and
the results are PUBLIC !

I do agree with Hugh LaMaster @ames that a benchmark should test whatever is
important for this or that application. However (as he also states) it must
be possible to get results for each tested function, not the whole test.

--
Per Fogelstrom,  Diab Data AB
SNAIL: Box 2029, S-183 02 Taby, Sweden