[comp.arch] a tetrabyte at a gigabyte per second

webber@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (08/19/87)

In article <2533@ames.arpa>, eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) writes:
> Well, I'm glad that all of you Good Bodies find Disk Striping
> interesting.  Now, if one or two of you could just go off and build
> something, we would be very interested in buying somethin.  I think
> we could easily get you a few dozen customers.  Would be nice if it
> interfaces with Crays, transfers in excess of 1 GB/sec, etc. etc......
> Oh yeah, should not cost more than a Cray itself and hold, say,
> 1 Terabyte of data (100 GWords? yeah, okay for now 8-).  I'm I
> forgetting anything?

Is Disk Striping a plausible way to approach these figures?  At
Siggraph'87, I was looking at a Texas Memory Systems box that
contained 2 gigabytes of mass memory that it could deliver in
bursts of 120 megabytes per second (100 megabytes per second
average) for a paltry 1.4 megadollars.

Looking at the specs for a Cray 2 system, I see that it can be
configured with up to 36 Cray DD-49 disk drives (1.2 gigabytes
a piece) however, apparently the fastest channel on a Cray is
a 100 megabyte per second HSX channel of which you can have at
most 8.  The cycle time on a Cray 2 is 4.1 nanoseconds and
can have up to 4 processors.

So, this leaves me with the following questions:
    1) how much does a fully configured Cray-2/4-256 cost?
       (will 75 megadollars for 50 mass memories throw me over budget?)
    2) how fast do the DD-49's pump data?  how much do they cost?
    3) is the Cray 2 fast enough to do anything interesting with
       all of this data we are pumping into it?
      [a tetrabyte is only a 5000 by 5000 by 5000 array of 64bit words.
       at a gigabyte per second, it is going to take 40 minutes to
       cycle through it (20 minutes reading it and 20 minutes writing
       it back out).
           a) if I am running local interactions, then it is going to
              take days for information to propagate from one side
              of the array to the other just from i/o time.
           b) if I am running global interactions, then I need to
              ensure that at some time during the computation, each
              pair of bytes is simultaneously in the 256 megaword
              (2 gigabyte) common main memory.  near as I can figure,
              the best I can do is break the tetrabyte into 1000 gigabyte
              chunks and bring them pairwise into memory.  this is also
              going to take days of i/o time.
        so tentatively, I would say that there would be little point to
        making the tetrabyte Cray 2 compatible.  looks more like one would
        want something tetrabyte compatible instead.]
    5)  if instead of running a large-scale application, one just
        wanted to run a virtual memory system on a 2 gigabyte
        main-memory machine, is all of this of a scale to support
        gigabyte users in the style that megabyte users on a SunIII
        have become accustomed to?

------ BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)

cm26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Curt McDowell) (08/25/87)

>   making the tetrabyte Cray 2 compatible.  looks more like one would
>   want something tetrabyte compatible instead.]

@typewriter{The disk drive on my TRS-80 Model 1 stores 46080 tetrabytes.
That equals about 0.0000001676380634307861328125 terabytes.
}What a difference that 't' makes!!

Curt McDowell