[comp.arch] how fast could disks be

lindsay@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) (08/16/87)

Mach 1 is irrelevant to a truly advanced read/write laser disk.
The first commercial units will spin, but eventually, we will just scan the
laser beam across an unmoving disk. ( I expect the "disk" to be the back of
a credit card, except of course inside the larger, sealed units. )

The technology for scanning a laser beam already exists: I refer you to your
favorite supermarket checkout, or, your favorite laser printer. Techniques
such as spinning holograms, and spinning hexagonal mirrors, are the low-tech
(but well-proven) techniques. The high-tech methods are diverse and I don't
care to predict the winner. Perhaps we modulate an index of refraction by ...
... ....  ??!! ...naah.

Don
--
	Don		lindsay@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu    CMU Computer Science

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/16/87)

In <1189@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu> lindsay@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Donald Lindsay) writes:
> eventually, we will just scan the laser beam across an unmoving disk.
> ( I expect the "disk" to be the back of a credit card, except of course
> inside the larger, sealed units. )

	Oh wow, sounds like CRT memories all over again :-)
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

gwu@vlsi.cs.cmu.edu (George Wu) (08/17/87)

     There's been all this talk about gaining faster mass storage with
parallel operations, and more recently, optical disks. But it seems to me that
a limiting factor are the mechanical parts, which must physically move. Even
using a scanning laser beam to read optical disks, a mirror must be
manipulated, unless someone has found a way to bend light. Relativity anybody?

     But what about non-mechanical storage systems? Are there feasible
magnetic and/or solid state systems out there? I remember there used to be a
big hoopla about bubble memory, but I haven't heard anything recently. And I'm
not sure why, but intuitively, I feel that solid state devices would be even
faster than magnetic ones. Is this just a bias left over from magnetic tapes
and drives?

							George

grunwald@uiucdcsm.UUCP (08/17/87)

In my supermarket, the 'scanning laser at the checkout line' is operated by
the checkout person passing the product over the laser (usually several times)
at speeds much less than Mach 1.

Are there non-mechanical methods of directing a laser beam? Any pointers to