[comp.arch] optical disks

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (11/18/86)

In article <102@rb-dc1.UUCP> bissell@rb-dc1issell.UUCP (jack bissell) writes:
> Since one of the problems with a fast optical disk is the movement of
> a heavy arm and head mech. would be to not move the arm but to move
> the data. [did I miss something there? RHS]

	I suppose this is a bit off the wall, but how about using a phased
array to steer a laser beam over the face of a stationary data surface.
I'm not 100% sure how you would read the data, and my field theory is so
rusty that I have no idea if this is even plausable, but it sure could be
fast.  No moving parts either.

	I remember reading an article about phased-array radars sometime in
the past year or two.  Probably either IEEE Spectrum or Sci. Am. (How's
that for a precise reference :-)).  I'll have to go re-read the article.

	On a totally different note, I saw an ad recently for what I
thought was the cleverest new disk idea I've seen in a long time.  A 20
Mbyte hard disk for an IBM-PC where the HDA was so small it was mounted
right on the controller card!  No muss, no fuss, no more cables hanging out
the back of your machine.  Not push-back-the-limits-of-technology stuff,
but an elegant engineering solution regardless.  Cost was $300-something.
I'm still kind of freaked out by the idea that you can buy a 20 Mbyte disk
for about the same price as dinner for 4 in a high-class restaurant.
RK-05's anyone?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"

srp@ethz.UUCP (11/21/86)

In article <2507@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>	I suppose this is a bit off the wall, but how about using a phased
>array to steer a laser beam over the face of a stationary data surface.
>I'm not 100% sure how you would read the data, and my field theory is so
>rusty that I have no idea if this is even plausable, but it sure could be
>fast.  No moving parts either.
>
>	I remember reading an article about phased-array radars sometime in
>the past year or two.  Probably either IEEE Spectrum or Sci. Am. (How's
>that for a precise reference :-)).  I'll have to go re-read the article.

Maybe not a phased array  alone (yes,  normally used  in radar constuction,
atmosphereic research etc.), but *with* a piezoelectric device  used in the
driving of fast mirrors ( I worked on a proposal for  a starwars laser/fast
mirror  combo)  Although  I  know  something  about phased  array radar (my
father's thesis) I'm not sure how well they work at short  distances and to
what accuracy/resolution they operate.  If this combonation was an implicit
assumption, my apologies...  I just started watching this discussion.

--
-----------

Scott Presnell  Eidgnoessische Technische Hochschule, Zuerich (ETH-Zentrum)
		Labor Fuer Organische Chemie
		Universitaetsstrasse 16
		CH-8092 Zuerich Switzerland.

uucp:		...seismo!mcvax!cernvax!ethz!srp     (srp@ethz.uucp)
earn/bitnet:	Benner@CZHETH5A

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) (08/25/87)

In article <420@astroatc.UUCP> johnw@astroatc.UUCP (John F. Wardale) writes:
>>> RAM vs disk stuff
> . . . (stuff removed)
>As I look into my crystal ball, I see RAM and optical (WO) disks
>replacing magnetic memory within 5 years...(say, ~~~  30% of total,
>and 90% of new systems/designs)

I won't hold my breath.  I heard that 10 years ago (back then you added
bubble memory as well).  We started waiting 4 years ago for optical disks
"in 2 years."  Sure there are some small WORM (Write Once Read Many) systems
and some custom systems.  But largely, WORM systems will get abused
and I don't see the I/O rates vastly improving for ODs.  I should have
put $100 down like Alan Karp did a few years ago....

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  {hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!aurora!eugene