[comp.arch] super new UNIX machine -- but are the disks fast enough?

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (08/15/87)

Ny new personal micro is a Compaq-386 clone running at 16 Mhz. The memory
is 100-nsec static-column DRAMs, so it runs at something between 0 and 1
wait states. The box consequently goes like bat out of hell on those in-memory
straightaways, even compared to my 3B1 which (using a 10Mhz 68010) is no
slouch. A copy of Microport's 386 System V.3 with DOS bridge is on order for
it.

Now for the bad news. My mass storage devices are a pair of Seagate 251s
hanging off a Western Digital WA-2 ST506 controller, rated at (I think) 80
milliseconds average access time (someone please correct me if that's wrong).
My questions:

	1) How can I tell if I've fallen into the minicomputer trap? -- that
	   is, how can I tell if my I/O bandwidth is low enough that I'll
	   mostly lose my processor speed advantage because I'm waiting on
	   disk transfers?

	2) If (1) is a problem, is there some method that can give me a rough
	   idea of what kind of drive performance I should pay for to achieve
	   a given fraction of maximum theoretical performance for the
	   processor-memory combination?

	3) I've read man pages for system activity profilers and I know how
	   to get down and dirty with the System V tunable parameter tables.
	   I don't yet have a good feel for how to hunt systematically for
	   performance/economy maxima in that parameter space. Comments and
	   war stories from unix.wizards with performance tuning savvy are
	   solicited.

I've cross-posted this to comp.arch because the situation has aroused my
curiosity about general methods for matching I/O subsystem and processor
performance -- is this still a black art?

For those of you looking for a good cheap expandable UNIX box:

The system cost me $2495; you can get one like it for no more than $2695.
That includes 1 meg of RAM, the Winchesters and an AT-format 1.2 meg, plus a
MCA/HGA CRT controller (with printer port), and choice of Phoenix or Award
AT-compatible BIOS, all sitting in an AT-sized case.

The box is manufactured by an outfit called Micronics, but they don't sell
Q1; I got mine from an outfit called Vesta Computers (phone: 1-(800)-843-5278).
The Vesta people and the Micronics tech I talked with were open, helpful and
a pleasure to deal with, and Vesta's prices are very aggressive and dropping
weekly. Tell them Eric sent you.

Now if only the processor weren't an Intel chip... ;-( ;-)

--
      Eric S. Raymond
      UUCP:  {{seismo,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax,sdcrdcf!burdvax,vu-vlsi}!snark!eric

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (08/28/87)

In article <125@snark.UUCP>, eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
> Ny new personal micro is a Compaq-386 clone running at 16 Mhz. The memory
>
> Now for the bad news. My mass storage devices are a pair of Seagate 251s
> hanging off a Western Digital WA-2 ST506 controller, rated at (I think) 80
> milliseconds average access time (someone please correct me if that's wrong).

The 251, which uses the same case components as the dreaded 225, has a
new head positioning mechanism, which it shares with the 277.  They are
rated at something more like 40 ms.  I have a 4096 and a 251 running,
and they perform comparably.  There is a bug in microport's driver
that is causing an error at drive select changover about once a day,
but other than that I'm happy with the drives.  I'd rather have an
eagle, but the prices aren't really comparable.  :-)

> Now if only the processor weren't an Intel chip... ;-( ;-)

"you get what you pay for".  sometimes.  I bought an AT because
I couldn't afford a real computer, I'll probably be upgrading
to a 386 "soon".  I may never get a real computer.

A question of my own, for the original poster or anyone else with
microport's 386 unix; response by mail is appropriate:

	I saw an add that indicated that the V/386 product
	supported "demand paged virtual memory".  I this
	true, or have they come up with an obscure new
	meaning for those words?  I didn't think the 386
	had the hardware for real demand paging, am I wrong?

	Steve Nuchia
	{{soma,academ}!uhnix1,sun!housun}!nuchat!stevee