[comp.arch] Mach, the new standard? GNU + MACH == true_love

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (01/01/70)

In article <484@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>Someday there may be a system from FSF.

Last night at the SVNet talk, Richard Stallman (FSF) mentioned that he is
curretnly talking to the MACH people at CMU (Rashid?) about merging his GNU
kernel with MACH. Basically, Stallman would be writing the portions of MACH
that are currently based on ATT/BSD code, possibly thereby making MACH
truly free, or at least Copylefted(tm).

I hope the negotiations between Stallman and CMU work out, because "GNU+MACH"
sounds like an unbeatable operating system.

-- Niels Mayer
   HP Labs.

fouts@orville.nas.nasa.gov (Marty Fouts) (08/28/87)

In article <729@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> mayer@hplabsz.UUCP (Niels Mayer) writes:

>Last night at the SVNet talk, Richard Stallman (FSF) mentioned that he is
>curretnly talking to the MACH people at CMU (Rashid?) about merging his GNU
>kernel with MACH. Basically, Stallman would be writing the portions of MACH
>that are currently based on ATT/BSD code, possibly thereby making MACH
>truly free, or at least Copylefted(tm).

I also heard Stallman, and took what he said to mean that when CMU
finishes making MACH independent of AT&T he would use it.  Given that
most (>90%?) of MACH is currently dependent on AT&T or BSD code,  (In
the vax version that I have all of the kernel modulo changes, and
all of the "unix" part of the system are identical to BSD 4.3; only
MACH add ons, which are a small percent of the code are truely new
code and not modified BSD Code) and given that CMU is interested in
doing research and NOT in freeing the world from AT&T, I expect it to
be a long time before MACH is free of AT&T requirements.

Marty