[comp.arch] BBC Computer

theodore@violet.berkeley.edu (Theodore W. Gray) (08/26/87)

A teacher friend of mine asked me what I knew about the "BBC Computer", which
the BBC in England is said to have distrubuted to many schools there, along
with what is said to be lots of great educational software.
  As you may have guessed from the fact that I'm posting here, I had no idea
what he was talking about!  I would be interested in any information you may
have on this computer, hardware in particular.  My friend is more interested
in the software side, but I don't think this is really the right newsgroup
to ask about software (judgeing from some of the Benchmark discussions I've
seen :-)   Suggestions about which other newsgroups would be good for posting
this question in would be useful too.
  Incidently, if anyone in the SF Bay area happens to have one of these things,
I would like to here from them...
                                                    thanx,
                                                        theo

Reply to theodore@violet.berkeley.edu

martin@felix.UUCP (08/29/87)

In article <4888@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> theodore@violet.berkeley.edu (Theodore W. Gray) writes:

>A teacher friend of mine asked me what I knew about the "BBC Computer", which
>the BBC in England is said to have distrubuted to many schools there, along
>with what is said to be lots of great educational software.
>  As you may have guessed from the fact that I'm posting here, I had no idea
>what he was talking about!

Given the general accuracy of Usenet, I have no problem stating that
I believe that this *might* be the Acorn machine.  I forget the
first processor they used.  Now its their own RISC chip.  They
have at least a sales office in the Santa Clara area.  Among
other things, it runs "BBC Basic".

--
Martin S. McKendry;    FileNet Corp;	{hplabs,trwrb}!felix!martin
Strictly my opinion; all of it

pjmp@hrc63.co.uk (Peter Polkinghorne) (09/02/87)

In article <6473@felix.UUCP> martin@felix.UUCP (Martin McKendry) writes:
>In article <4888@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> theodore@violet.berkeley.edu (Theodore W. Gray) writes:
>>
>>A teacher friend of mine asked me what I knew about the "BBC Computer", which
>>the BBC in England is said to have distrubuted to many schools there, along
>
>Given the general accuracy of Usenet, I have no problem stating that
>I believe that this *might* be the Acorn machine.  I forget the

And as an antidote to the general accuracy in usenet I give the following
information:

	The BBC Microcomputer System (of which we have several as cheap VT52s)
was made by Acorn to accompany an educational series of programmes put out
by the BBC ~5 years ago. It uses a 6502 and has the usual mix of RAM & ROM
with for the type of machine a nice keyboard and a lot of useful interfaces
such as RS232, RGB, a 1 Mhz bus etc.

	The BBC did not give them away, however the government in the UK put
some money into providing schools with computers. The Acorn machine Martin
refers to is a later Acorn product. I am sure someone from Acorn could add
to the accuracy of this information.

Peter Polkinghorne ( pjmp@uk.co.gec-rl-hrc or ...!mcvax!ukc!hrc63!pjmp )

Mebyon Kernow!