[comp.arch] request: Old Iron performance

nicholso@hpesoc1.HP.COM (Ron Nicholson) (10/01/87)

Does any one out there have any performance information an old
computers; or references to publications with such information?

I'm trying to gather some relative performance information on
older and historic machines.  Because of the differences in the
kinds of programs run then and now, a ball park figure is all
that I expect to find.

Now, it's unlikely that anyone has run Drystones on an IBM 704 or
Univac I.  So what I'm looking for is *any* early performance
measures.  So far, all I've seen are references that give processor
cycle times, memory sizes and such which are hard to relate to
comparitive performance.

Perhaps if someone had ran some numerical program on a 6600, or some
such, that they now run on a PC this could provide a direct performance
measure.

Or if someone ported a program from historical machine A to a more
recent machine and noted that it ran X% faster.  If similar programs
run Y% faster on the manufacturer current machines and some
sythentic benchmark puts this machine at Z% of an 11/780, then we
might at least have an order of magnitude idea that the historical
machine is about 1/(X*Y*Z) mips for that class of programs.

I'll post a summary if requested, unless, of course, I don't receive
any information to summarize.

				Ronald H. Nicholson, Jr.
				Hewlett Packard
				...ucbvax!hplabs!hpda!nicholso

lamaster@pioneer.UUCP (10/01/87)

In article <5030005@hpesoc1.HP.COM> nicholso@hpesoc1.HP.COM (Ron Nicholson) writes:
>Does any one out there have any performance information an old
>computers; or references to publications with such information?

Not for systems as old the 704, but SOME machines from the 6600 on have been
in Dongarra's famous Linpack benchmark results.

  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP {topaz,lll-crg,ucbvax}!
  NASA Ames Research Center                ames!pioneer!lamaster
  Moffett Field, CA 94035    ARPA lamaster@ames-pioneer.arpa
  Phone:  (415)694-6117      ARPA lamaster@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

(Disclaimer: "All opinions solely the author's responsibility")