[comp.arch] 386 unix

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (01/01/70)

>In article <1583@chinet.UUCP> I write:
>>	From what I understand, Bell's UNIX is re-packaged Microport
>>	UNIX.

	Well, seems I understand wrong.  I got this via email today.
	-----

From: Richard Morris <itivax!umix!utah-gr!science.utah.edu!GU.MORRIS>

I have recently spoken to the folks at Bell Technologies concerning their
UNIX System V/386.  It was created by AT&T, Intel, and Interactive
Systems, and is not derived from Microport who has yet to release their
UNIX for the 386.  Bell Technologies System V/386 has recently undergone
AT&T certification.

Hope this is of interest to you.

If you need additional information about the Bell Technologies products,
you can contact Dimitri Rotow at Bell Tech. (415) 659-9097.  They are
very nice folks to work with.

Could you please post this information on the Usenet.  I am currently on
a DEC-20 with a BBOARD system, and I haven't yet figured out how to post
only reply to posted items.

Thank you.

Richard Morris
-------

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

mikep@ism780c.UUCP (Michael A. Petonic) (01/01/70)

In article <375@kksys.UUCP> gk@kksys.UUCP (Greg Kemnitz) writes:
>In article <1583@chinet.UUCP> randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:
>>
>>	From what I understand, Bell's UNIX is re-packaged Microport
>>	UNIX.
>
>True, Bell -has- been selling Microport UNIX -- the 286 version!
>
>The 386 version I was referring to is different, tho... and they have
>told me that it is -not- from Microport.  As a matter of fact, they
>were selling against Microport 386 UNIX when they called me about it.

O.K., I'm not the authority on what goes on everywhere, but they
are selling INTERACTIVE Systems 386 UNIX.

I couldn't watch this discussion progress to impossible bounds.

More than standard disclaimer:  Since no-one else in my company spoke
up, I did.  I do not represent my company in anyway and what I say
could be wrong.  No further rebroadcast without expressed written
consent...  Oh, that's the wrong one.

---
Michael Petonic			{seismo|sdcrdcf}!ism780c!mikep
MTS
INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
Santa Monica, CA.

gk@kksys.UUCP (09/11/87)

In article <306@nuchat.UUCP> steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) writes:
>I also found out that microport is _still_ not shipping unix
>for the 386.   *sigh*

... But I have heard that the Bell Technologies $99.00 ($399(?) with
manuals) 386 UNIX V port -is- shipping.  Supposed to be a *full*
system including development and text processing.

Their number is 800-ibm-UNIX and/or 800-FOR-UNIX.

--
Greg Kemnitz              |   amdahl \
K and K Systems           |   ihnp4   !meccts!kksys!gk

sl@van-bc.UUCP (09/15/87)

In article <306@kksys.UUCP> gk@kksys.UUCP (Greg Kemnitz) writes:
>... But I have heard that the Bell Technologies $99.00 ($399(?) with
>manuals) 386 UNIX V port -is- shipping.  Supposed to be a *full*
>system including development and text processing.
>
>Their number is 800-ibm-UNIX and/or 800-FOR-UNIX.

$99 gets you two user runtime, no manuals. I don't know what is included in
terms of actual software.

$399 gets you unlimited user development system. Text processing
(nroff/ditroff) not included. All manuals included:

	the Administrators Reference manual and Admistrators Guide,
	four Prentice Hall Paper back editions of User's/Programmer's Reference
	manuals and Guides
	AT&T 386 Release Notes

** Mild Flame **

Why couldn't Prentice Hall include a permuted index for their reference
manuals. They are presented in the classic Unix style with a totally
inadequate index which is basically the table of contents reformatted. It
makes these books very hard to use.

Prentice Hall should include a permuted index!

** Flame off **

So far I've found a few holes and annoyances. No man pages (formatted or
unformatted) although the man command is there. The tar command is found in
/etc/tar. No csh.

The serial driver for the AT style serial ports (asy) seems to be totally
insane although that might just be me, or the machine I'm running it on
(a Bell Tech 386, aka Intel Mother board).  I havn't been able to get it
to work consistently with anything other than a terminal.

Dhrystone with registers was 2184.

Compiling 2.11 news from scratch was 11 minutes real time, with about 7 and
1 minutes of user and system time respectively. An immediate make clean,
make redid it in about 9 minutes of real time, user and system where almost
identical.

One nice thing is the apparent absence of the pointer type problems which
plagued Unix systems on previous Intel 80286 chips. News/rn came right up.
No special problems.

The Basic Networking Utilities (HDB UUCP) seem to work well, except for the
usual problems of dealing with Hayes type modems. This is exaberated by the
problems experienced with the serial drivers. Perhaps when the dust settles
with them using smart modems will be no problem.

Overall I'm quite  happy with it. Bell Tech seems to be quite interested in
getting problem reports and fixing things. Although it can sometimes take a
few days for their tech support people to get back to you.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (09/18/87)

In article <1337@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>In article <306@kksys.UUCP> gk@kksys.UUCP (Greg Kemnitz) writes:
>>... But I have heard that the Bell Technologies $99.00 ($399(?) with
>>manuals) 386 UNIX V port -is- shipping.  Supposed to be a *full*
>>system including development and text processing.

	From what I understand, Bell's UNIX is re-packaged Microport
	UNIX.

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

lmg@sfmin.UUCP (L.M.Geary) (09/18/87)

[ Various Bell Technologies UNIX System info deleted. ]

> Dhrystone with registers was 2184.
                               ^^^^
I checked out a pre-release version of the raw Intel 386 port on
a Compaq 386 (2Mb RAM) and got similar Dhrystone numbers. However, I got
around 3350 Dhrystones using Microport V/AT 1.3.6 (the 286 binaries).
Turbo C gave around 3500 Dhrystones.

What's going on here? Earlier posted Dhrystone results showed 386 boxes
running the 386 Intel port at > 5000 Dhrystones. Now I'm seeing a 40%
performance DECREASE over the 286 versions of the system! And it isn't
just benchmarks; the system feels slower, too. Something is wrong.

					Larry Geary
					ihnp4!attunix!lmg

Isaac_K_Rabinovitch@cup.portal.com (09/19/87)

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
X** Mild Flame **
XWhy couldn't Prentice Hall include a permuted index for their reference
Xmanuals. They are presented in the classic Unix style with a totally
Xinadequate index which is basically the table of contents reformatted. It
Xmakes these books very hard to use.

I glanced at the P-H version, and I noticed that the semaphores man page
talks about "doing semaphores automatically".  In the ATT 5.2 version this
was "automatic semaphores" and in the 5.0 version, it was "atomic semaphores".
People who actually know how semaphores will tell you which is correct.

"Cap'n, she won' go Warp 8!  We're critical mass on the manual r)
Newsgroup

johnl@ima.ISC.COM (John R. Levine) (09/19/87)

In article <1583@chinet.UUCP> randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:
>In article <306@kksys.UUCP> gk@kksys.UUCP (Greg Kemnitz) writes:
>>... But I have heard that the Bell Technologies $99.00 ($399(?) with
>>manuals) 386 UNIX V port -is- shipping.  Supposed to be a *full*
>>system including development and text processing.
>	From what I understand, Bell's UNIX is re-packaged Microport
>	UNIX.

No, Bell Technologies is shipping the AT&T/Intel/Interactive version
that Interactive Systems did.  (This is what friends at ISC tell me.)
I'd be interested in hearing comparisons of Microport vs. ISC Unix.
They're both based on recent versions of Sys V, so you'd expect them to
be similar.  Are they binary compatible, or is that too much to expect?
--
John R. Levine, Cambridge MA, +1 617 492 3869
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

mike@cimcor.UUCP (Michael Grenier) (09/19/87)

Randy Suess writes:
> 	From what I understand, Bell's UNIX is re-packaged Microport
> 	UNIX.

I know that isn't true because when talking to the technicians at
Bell about running their intelligent controller card under
386 Microport, they hadn't gotten Microport's code yet (This was
after they were shipping their version of 386 UNIX). Microport
is shipping their software with the Greenhill C compiler, Bell isn't.
Microport is shipping the Beta release of their 386 DosMerge, Bell isn't.
In fact, Susan Ong of Bell said that the reason they don't have DosMerge
yet is because they are waiting for Locus to do the port to Interactive
System's 386 Unix and then use that.

    -Mike
    ihnp4!meccts!cimcor!mike  - A happy Microport system.

gk@kksys.UUCP (Greg Kemnitz) (09/21/87)

jmsully@suprt.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <1595@chinet.UUCP>, randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:
> >In article <1583@chinet.UUCP> I write:
> >>	From what I understand, Bell's UNIX is re-packaged Microport
> >>	UNIX.
> >

> 	Well, seems I understand wrong.  I got this via email today.
> 	-----
>
> From: Richard Morris <itivax!umix!utah-gr!science.utah.edu!GU.MORRIS>
> I have recently spoken to the folks at Bell Technologies concerning their
> UNIX System V/386.  It was created by AT&T, Intel, and Interactive
> Systems, and is not derived from Microport who has yet to release their
> UNIX for the 386.  Bell Technologies System V/386 has recently undergone
> AT&T certification.

Microport is shipping System V/386.  It is derived from the same Interactive-
Intel source code as the Bell-Tech version and, since the code on which these
two ports are based is the same, has also passed AT&T certification.

--
John M. Sully         UUCP: ...!{sun | ucbvax | ihnp4}!amdcad!uport!techs
Microport Systems     ARPA: uport!techs@ucscc.UCSC.EDU

mdg@suprt.UUCP (10/03/87)

In article <108@suprt.UUCP>, jmsully@suprt.UUCP (John M. Sully) writes:
> In article <1595@chinet.UUCP>, randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:
> > >In article <1583@chinet.UUCP> I write:
*** verbiage deleted ***
> > UNIX for the 386.  Bell Technologies System V/386 has recently undergone
> > AT&T certification.
>
> Microport is shipping System V/386.  It is derived from the same Interactive-
> Intel source code as the Bell-Tech version and, since the code on which these
> two ports are based is the same, has also passed AT&T certification.

Not only is Microport shipping 386 UNIX, Microport was the first company
to ship 386 UNIX, to my knowledge. Was anyone shipping 386 UNIX before June
25th of this year?
--
Marc de Groot @ Microport Systems, Inc.
UUCP: {hplabs, sun, ucbvax}!amdcad!uport!mdg