[comp.arch] 98% in < 2s

earl@mips.UUCP (Earl Killian) (09/18/87)

In article <2473@xanth.UUCP>, kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

> Second, another correspondent noted that in ten million process activations
> on his system, 98% took less than two seconds of cpu time.  This means that
> them.

It depends.  The realtime to vfork/exec something on my machine is
about 0.014s, or 0.7% of 2s.  So the data needs to be more complete to
make this conclusion (like how many of them were < 0.1s, where the

Also be careful not to assume that because 98% of the commands
executed in < 2s that most of the work that a machine does is in such
commands.  More complete data is necessary to make that conclusion as
well.  The other 2% might execute for a long time...

hammond@faline.bellcore.com (Rich A. Hammond) (09/19/87)

In article <> earl@mips.UUCP (Earl Killian) writes:
>In article <2473@xanth.UUCP>, kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>
>> Second, another correspondent noted that in ten million process activations
>> on his system, 98% took less than two seconds of cpu time.  This means that
>> them.

I'm skeptical about concluding that the processes took much work
to load.  The process activations are concentrated from 10AM to 6PM
with a dip around noon.  I'm willing to bet that the common commands
might have already been in main memory or buffer cache.

>It depends.  The realtime to vfork/exec something on my machine is ...

The relevant # is how long vfork takes on 11/780's, where the jobs ran.

>Also be careful not to assume that because 98% of the commands
>executed in < 2s that most of the work that a machine does is in such
>commands.  More complete data is necessary to make that conclusion as
>well.  The other 2% might execute for a long time...

Indeed they did, about 2/3 of 1% of the commands used up 66% of the CPU
resoures.  BUT, this # was cited in response to a question about improving
the UNIX filesystem performance because "A large proportion of all jobs
are I/O bound"  In fact, our observation is that a very few jobs used
up most of the CPU, and they did very little I/O per CPU hour.

I suspect this is still true today, although we have 8650's, Convex,
CCI, Pyramids and Alliants instead of 11/780's.  If I do a vmstat on
the Convex, I typically see: user 98% sys 2% idle 0%, hardly an I/O
bound situation.

Rich Hammond	hammond@bellcore.com

dwc@homxc.UUCP (D.CHEN) (09/21/87)

> > Second, another correspondent noted that in ten million process activations
> > on his system, 98% took less than two seconds of cpu time.  This means that
> > them.
>
> It depends.  The realtime to vfork/exec something on my machine is
> about 0.014s, or 0.7% of 2s.  So the data needs to be more complete to
> make this conclusion (like how many of them were < 0.1s, where the

i would think that this time does not include the time to demand load
the pages needed to generate a "prompt" or any such thing that the user
is waiting for.

danny chen
homxc!dwc

jfh@killer.UUCP (John Haugh) (09/25/87)

(Forget vfork() and how fast it is.  When AT&T adds it to System 5, then
I'll care about it. ;-)

I don't know how valid of a statement this is, but I have noticed that
to fork() a small program can often take as long as it takes to fork()
one twice as large (just as long being one of those subjective things ...)

I benchmarked kernels at my last emoployer and noticed that even the big
machines we tested (uVax, Plexus P/60's & P/75's, etc) didn't get past
40 or 50 forks per second.  The little programs seem to cost more than
the bigger ones in terms of forkability ...

Just rambling on ...

- John.
--
John F. Haugh II		HECI Exploration Co. Inc.
UUCP:	...!ihnp4!killer!jfh	11910 Greenville Ave, Suite 600

bruce@stride.Stride.COM (Bruce Robertson) (10/05/87)

In article <1634@killer.UUCP> jfh@killer.UUCP (John Haugh) writes:

>I benchmarked kernels at my last emoployer and noticed that even the big
>machines we tested (uVax, Plexus P/60's & P/75's, etc) didn't get past
>40 or 50 forks per second.  The little programs seem to cost more than
>the bigger ones in terms of forkability ...

That's odd, my Stride 600 Series (68020-based, System V kernel with
the copy-on-write version of fork) does just under 100 forks per
second.  Even my Stride 400 Series (same kernel, 68010-based) does 48
forks per second.
--

	Bruce Robertson
	bruce@stride.Stride.COM