[comp.arch] Steve Chen resigning

fouts@orville.nas.nasa.gov (Marty Fouts) (10/02/87)

(Mr Chen's last name is spelled with an 'e', not an 'i'.)

The Wall Street Journal article leads one to believe that Steve Chen
wanted to start with "sand" rather than chips, but this isn't even
that uncommon at CRI.  Seymour Cray himself started with "sand" on at
least three machines: The Cray 1, the Cray 2, and the Cray 3, which is
said to be a GaAs machine.

Steve Chen has been willing to start with a previous design in the
past. As mentioned in the Cray press release, Chen is the principle
architect of the X-MP which was a follow on to the Cray 1, and of the
Y-MP, which will be the succesor to the Y-MP.

According to a Cray press release, Chen's project was taking more
money than Cray was willing to pay.  This is not an unusuall business
decision.  Ask Dr. Amdahl why he left IBM sometime.

I would be surprised if Cray and Chen stay on too good terms if Chen
can find ready funding for his own effort, and I would be suprises if
he has any trouble finding funding.

marty

nelson@ohlone.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <2956@ames.arpa>, fouts@orville.nas.nasa.gov (Marty Fouts) writes:
> The Wall Street Journal article leads one to believe that Steve Chen
> wanted to start with "sand" rather than chips, but this isn't even
> that uncommon at CRI.  Seymour Cray himself started with "sand" on at
> least three machines: The Cray 1, the Cray 2, and the Cray 3, which is
> said to be a GaAs machine.

The brief article in last Friday's Journal is really very poor.  Don't
believe anything it has to say.  On the other hand, the articles that
came out just after the announcement 4 weeks ago were rather reasonable
I thought.

As has been noted many times, Seymour Cray is not a big risk taker or a
'leading edge' technologist.  He tends to build machines with proven
components bought from third parties.  He *IS* a real genius at packaging,
cooling, and design.  Steve Chen was much more agressive about developing
technology in house, rather than buying it off the shelf.  This has higher
potential payoffs, but of course is riskier and more expensive (e.g.
Trilogy).  This comparison between Seymour and Steve needs to be taken with
a grain of salt, since the Cray-3 *is* being built out of GaAs (still pretty
new/leading-edge), but it should give you the idea.

Anyway, the board of directors thought Steve's MP project was too expensive,
too risky, and taking too long.  Steve was for the most part unwilling to
compromise on the design/budget/timeline for the MP, so the project was
cancelled.

If anyone has a specific question (that has a non-company private answer),
I'll be happy to tell you what I can.  However, since I am a part of the
cancelled project, my machine may go away fairly soon.  Also, lll-lcc
has been flaky for awhile; try ihnp4 if lll-lcc bounces you.

-----------------------
Bron Nelson     {ihnp4, lll-lcc!lll-tis}!ohlone!nelson
Not the opinions of Cray Research

suhler@im4u.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <2956@ames.arpa> fouts@orville.nas.nasa.gov.UUCP (Marty Fouts) writes:
>According to a Cray press release, Chen's project was taking more
>money than Cray was willing to pay.  This is not an unusuall business
>decision.  Ask Dr. Amdahl why he left IBM sometime.

I heard Amdahl explain it in a talk back in '76 or '77.  It wasn't the
development costs so much as revenues.  With IBM's pricing structure,
they made less money the bigger the machine.  It reached a point where
if Amdahl had built and IBM had sold the machines he wanted to build,
IBM would have had many customers switch from lesser machines to the
faster, thus cutting total revenues.  The only way he could build
what he wanted was to start a company that had nothing to lose.
--
Paul Suhler        suhler@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU	512-474-9517/471-3903

urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (10/03/87)

 []
In article <2956@ames.arpa>, fouts@orville.nas.nasa.gov (Marty Fouts) writes:
> According to a Cray press release, Chen's project was taking more
> money than Cray was willing to pay.  This is not an unusuall business
> decision.  Ask Dr. Amdahl why he left IBM sometime.

Earlier this summer, Dr. Amdahl was asked this question at a lecture
given at TUCC (Triangle Universities Computing Center), the
(UNC) Chapel Hill - (NCSU) Raleigh - (Duke) Durham North Carolina
joint computing facility. He said that he left IBM because of a
conflict of interest situation. It seems that he became an official
in a competing? computer company and was called up for it. He had
to make a choice.
The rest is history.

Disclaimer: The responsibility for writing this is mine. I hope
it doesn't offend anyone.

             urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP ,  urjlew@tucc.bitnet
       or    urjlew@tucc.tucc.edu    (ARPA,SURA,NSF etc. internet)
       tel.  (919)-962-9107

urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP (10/03/87)

In article <2184@im4u.UUCP>, suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:
> In article <2956@ames.arpa> fouts@orville.nas.nasa.gov.UUCP (Marty Fouts) writes:
> >According to a Cray press release, Chen's project was taking more
> >money than Cray was willing to pay.  This is not an unusuall business
> >decision.  Ask Dr. Amdahl why he left IBM sometime.
>
> I heard Amdahl explain it in a talk back in '76 or '77.  It wasn't the
> development costs so much as revenues.  With IBM's pricing structure,
> they made less money the bigger the machine.  It reached a point where
> if Amdahl had built and IBM had sold the machines he wanted to build,
> IBM would have had many customers switch from lesser machines to the
> faster, thus cutting total revenues.  The only way he could build
> what he wanted was to start a company that had nothing to lose.

Dr. Amdahl repeated the same statements in a talk he gave earlier
this summer at TUCC as a part of his presentation on behalf of
TRILOGY. He spoke on Amdahls law and also enterpreneurship. However
the arguements above were used to illustrate what creates an
opportunity for an enterpreneur. These may have been the reasons
why Amdahl was feeling frustrated at IBM. But according to him,
the reason that he left was because of a conflict of interest situation.
He said that he had become involved with a competing? startup
computing company, as an officer?, and was called up for it by IBM.
He had to make a choice.
And the rest is history.

Disclaimer: The responsibility for writing this is mine. I hope that
I have not offended anyone.

mitch@stride1.UUCP (Thomas P. Mitchell) (10/07/87)

In article <365@ohlone.UUCP> nelson@ohlone.UUCP (Bron Nelson) writes:
>In article <2956@ames.arpa>, fouts@orville.nas.nasa.gov (Marty Fouts) writes:
>> The Wall Street Journal article leads one to believe that Steve Chen
>
>The brief article in last Friday's Journal is really very poor.  Don't
>Trilogy).

To stockholders there was a lot of information (press) made
available in the past year and a half about the competing
projects within the company.  The most important was that the
projects were competing (there would be a winner).  Then the
announcement a while back regarding the release of the GaAs
foundry and the terms of the release were a clue that the
competition was on the bell lap (at least on this heat).

The terms under which Steve Chen is 'leaving' look to have much
the same ring as the terms that Cray 'left' under.  We will not
know for sure of course until the dust settles.

After all what is dust but very small bits of sand.

Thomas P. Mitchell (mitch@stride1.Stride.COM)
Phone:	(702) 322-6868 TWX:	910-395-6073
MicroSage Computer Systems Inc. a Division of Stride Micro.
Opinions expressed are probably mine.