[comp.arch] ETA10-P

johnw@astroatc.UUCP (John F. Wardale) (11/11/87)

In article <676@zycad.UUCP> kjb@zycad.UUCP (Kevin Buchs) writes:

>I have seen it many times in the Media.  The 10-P is rated
>at 375 Mflops, but does Linpack at 25.  Why the big difference?
>Do other supercomputers behave similarly?  What does a Cray 2
>do on Linpack?

First, any computer, but most especially on Vector and multi-CPU
machines, one must *NEVER* confuse "rated" or GARENTEED-NOT-TO-EXCEED
figures with real, or obtainable figures.  [Single-headed Scalar
Processors tend to get much closer to there claims.]

As for the Cray-2, it's young compilers, and slow memory seem to
make it be about 1/2 to 7/8 of a an X-MP.
[The 2 is a big win if you need the BIG memory, or can't support
an X (X's weigh many-tons, and the 2 is *MUCH* lighter!!)]

The X-MP does 44 MFLOPS on the 100x100 linpack, (coded BLAS, one
processor) and 134 on the 300x300 (480 for 4 heads) and 713 for
4-heads on the 1kx1k.

------

The Cray-2 does 147+ MFLOPS on LLNL loop 7, but has an h-mean of
about 6 and a low of 1.7

NOTES:  THe 100x100 linpak does *LOTS* of pivoting, and is
generally POOR at showing PEAK capacity of any machine.
[it's NOT as bad as the h-mean for the (now 24) LLNL-loops (or
kernels)]
*  Linpak numbers for Dongarra memo#23, Jan-86

--
					John Wardale
... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} ! {uwvax | cs.wisc.edu} ! astroatc!johnw

To err is human, to really foul up world news requires the net!